Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 05:21   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

This just flat out sucks...

Hoping against hope... for a positive outcome...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 05:45   #32

Boat: Mumby 48

This is a tragedy but let's not politicize it.

"But yes-the depth of poverty is just crushing and certainly not unavoidable in this age.Corruption,disgusting greed animal people of wealth." -Arthur Garfield

It seems you are making an assumption that this is what poor people do. Actually, I don't know this, but I assume it wasn't done by poor people. It usually isn't. Do poor people own big guns and fast boats? Perhaps you know other and can show us.

Also, about greed. Why do you assume wealthy people are greedy and make the blanket statement that the only way to get rich is to be greedy. We all act out of self-interest and in that sense are all greedy? Aren't we all wealthier than most of the world? Is there any reason to believe that these kidnappers were part of the "1%"?

Let's wait for the facts to be in and then determine what happened and why.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:38   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
The problem is Samal was considered quite risk free! That's why we go there. So I feel that its quite hard now to avoid the not safe alleys as its not quite as clear as it was.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Davao (where Samal is) has always been a troubled place with some Wild West characters like their mayor Duterte who is nick named Rambo and has a vigilante approach to justice.

His actions have caused a number of violent retaliations in the past.

It would never be a long term berth for me

http://mobile.abs-cbnnews.com/nation...000-criminals/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:39   #34
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a shocking incident.

I have been following events in nearby large city (over 1 Million metro population) Davao for over a year. So it is sad to see this attack on sailors/cruisers and particularly noteworthy it happened in what is considered a safe enclave/marina/resort that is called a "gated community with security."

Looking at the several links to online articles about this incident, I found the UK Dailymail to have the best content with multiple photos of the site, people captured, and video still photos of the kidnapping.

I realize that some members reading this thread may never click those links, so here are a few clips excerpted from the Dailymail article. I have bolded a few points for emphasis.

Best Article on Samal incident:
Hunt underway for hostages including 2 Canadians abducted in Philippines | Daily Mail Online
The Davao region has been relatively peaceful for more than a decade.

In 2014, a peace agreement with the largest Muslim rebel group in the south ended 45 years of conflict that had killed about 120,000 people and displaced two million.

In 2001, al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf Islamist militants tried but failed to kidnap foreign tourists on Samal island's Pearl Farm resort.*Three security men died fighting the attackers.

It could still be the case that the crime was carried out by Abu Sayyaf, a militant Muslim group based in the southwest of the Philippines.

Authorities do not yet know what group is responsible for the attack.

While it bears all the hallmarks of Abu Sayyaf, a Muslim insurgency allied to Islamic State, a note left at the resort claims it was carried out in the name of militant communist group the NPA.

Formed in the late 60s, the NPA stands for the New People's Army - an armed group which is affiliated to the country's communist political party.

Classed as a terrorist organisation by the U.S. government, it is thought to fund its activities by extorting locals in the area it operates.

Earlier this year its leader and chairman, Benito Tiamzon, was arrested by government authorities. And a note left at the resort in the hours after last night's attack stated: 'Justice for our commander: NPA.'

Although the military expected retaliation for the NPA leader's arrest, there remains skepticism as to the validity of the note.

It could still be the case that the crime was carried out by Abu Sayyaf, a militant Muslim group based in the southwest of the Philippines.

Fighting for autonomy within the country, the group is notorious for its kidnappings and hostage-taking.

It, like the NPA, is classed as a terrorist organisation by the U.S. government and late last year began kidnapping people in the name of Islamic State.

While small - with numbers thought to reach only in the hundreds or low thousands - the group is highly active and responsible for the country's worst terrorist attack - the 2004 bombing of a ferry which killed 116 people.

Abu Sayyaf militants are believed to be currently holding nine different hostages, including a Dutch man kidnapped three years ago, two Malaysians and a town mayor.

The group also holds Filippinos hostage - in April, the mayor of the town of Naga was kidnapped from her home.

Mayor Gemma Adana was at home when the militants broke inside and dragged her onto a speedboat, then fled out to sea and the vast network of Abu Sayyaf enclaves that are dotted across the area.

Taken to Sulu, reports in the weeks following her kidnapping stated her captors were demanding $2.26million in ransom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philippines Samal Resort Marina.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	109692  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 06:50   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Davao (where Samal is) has always been a troubled place with some Wild West characters like their mayor Duterte who is nick named Rambo and has a vigilante approach to justice.

His actions have caused a number of violent retaliations in the past.

It would never be a long term berth for me

Duterte admits links to Davao Death Squad | ABS-CBN News
Thanks for posting this above.

Over the last year, I have read numerous times that Davao is considered/promoted as "The safest city in the Philippines."

I think the local government (Duterte is mayor) actually uses that as a slogan.
Old 23-09-2015, 07:16   #36

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Very sorry to hear this and of course worried for those abducted Will be interesting to hear who (which gang) and why. Has there been any political change recently or has there been a slow increase in crime in the Philippines? It is on our 'hit list' so will be interesting to follow this thread. Thanks for sharing.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 09:05   #37
CF Adviser

Upcoming elections have everyone a bit nervous.

I am already seeing it in the property markets and stock exchange.

This is a normal phenomenon here where power struggles in every province, town and baranguy often becomes violent.

Most visitors don't even realize the undercurrents of tension during this time, but political assassinations and murder of reporters increases as does the crime rate, until the new power lines are drawn.

If you watch the peso trends during the periods of upcoming elections you will see it fall as a result of this uncertainty.

Then afterwards the Philippines get stable again in a blush of promises and an inherent positive nature of acceptance.
Old 23-09-2015, 13:08   #38

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
When in the Navy in the 70s, Mindinao was not a good place. We were told to stay away. Just ask Magellan, he was killed there. There are many places in the PI that are fantastic, this Island is also, but with risks. Too bad, wish our Marines were still in that area cleaning up. Maybe they are and this was isolated. I love the PI, praying for those folks.
Just for the record, Magellan was killed in Mactan, a bit north of Mindanao.

I also thought the recent comments about greed and poverty were rather out of place. Hostage-taking is just terrible, full stop, regardless what kind of aims or ideas the groups responsible profess to represent.

The NPA have not shown an interest in attacking foreigners earlier. If it turns out they are really behind this latest develoment, that is going to be a worrying situation indeed.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 14:01   #39
CF Adviser

If you look at the generic NPA , they are a fairly loose association of discontented thugs who intimidate local businesses and farmers into paying them protection money under the guise of revolutionary tax.

I know of a stubborn elderly Australian developer in Puerto Galera who was kidnapped and held hostage for a few days, by the NPA, because he would not comply and was vocal about it.

They first blew up the Globe telecom cellular tower beside his property as a warning, before finally holding him hostage until his family paid.

Same guys often show up at harvest times, work the fields and take what they need as payment.

Much more numerous than acknowledged by the government, but basically non violent unless challenged.

I am hoping that is the case for our missing sailors and marina manager
Old 23-09-2015, 15:18   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
Very sorry to hear this and of course worried for those abducted Will be interesting to hear who (which gang) and why. Has there been any political change recently or has there been a slow increase in crime in the Philippines? It is on our 'hit list' so will be interesting to follow this thread. Thanks for sharing.
Please excuse this thread drift!

Impi, I could swear that we just sailed down to Ile de Pins in near company with a Lagoon 440 named "Impi", and then shared the anchorage for a few days. That's a long way from your stated location of Ft Lauderdale!! We came by a couple of times but couldn't raise anyone on board... hope to make your acquaintance the next time.

And we share your interest and fears about the Philippines.

Jim
Old 24-09-2015, 03:07   #41

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Please excuse this thread drift!

Impi, I could swear that we just sailed down to Ile de Pins in near company with a Lagoon 440 named "Impi", and then shared the anchorage for a few days. That's a long way from your stated location of Ft Lauderdale!! We came by a couple of times but couldn't raise anyone on board... hope to make your acquaintance the next time.

And we share your interest and fears about the Philippines.

Jim
Yes, sorry for the thread drift guys ...

Wow Jim - yes man - we were just there. I don't know why it states we are in Fort Lauderdale? Where are you now mate? Whats your boat name? We hooked up with JoliFou (Bruce and Lyn) and also spotted a boat called Insatiable 2. Now in Noumea getting some spares sorted. Can get us at earthmoving@hotmail.com - would be nice to hook up. If you are sv insatiable 2 - Ana helped tie you to the dock today Small world - just popped my head out the back - your bow is against our stern
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 04:06   #42
CF Adviser

Quote:

......just popped my head out the back - your bow is against our stern
Classic..... When Virtual meets Reality!
Old 24-09-2015, 09:16   #43

Boat: 48' Alu Cat
4 people abducted from Philippine Marina.

Brazen abduction shakes up quiet, luxurious Philippines island - The Globe and Mail
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 09:41   #44
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Classic..... When Virtual meets Reality!

Talk about a "Small World!"
Old 24-09-2015, 12:44   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yes, sorry for the thread drift guys ...

Wow Jim - yes man - we were just there. I don't know why it states we are in Fort Lauderdale? Where are you now mate? Whats your boat name? We hooked up with JoliFou (Bruce and Lyn) and also spotted a boat called Insatiable 2. Now in Noumea getting some spares sorted. Can get us at earthmoving@hotmail.com - would be nice to hook up. If you are sv insatiable 2 - Ana helped tie you to the dock today Small world - just popped my head out the back - your bow is against our stern
G'Day Impi!
How very strange... 'cause we are not in Noumea, we are anchored in port Goro on the east coast. And yes, our boat is Insatiable II... could there be another one here in New Cal? Pretty weird, eh?

At any rate, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet face to face in Kuto, and we expect to head out to Mare in the Loyalties tomorrow (hoping to reconnect with Jolie Feu there), and then work our way up to Ouvea, thence back down the east coast and return to Noumea for departure formalities in early November. As always, our plans are drawn in the sand at low tide...

PErhaps there will be another chance to meet; we hope so.

Cheers,

Jim