Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 12:16   #406
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Pasted directly from the internet, so we know validity is suspect at best... But food for thought...

How many of these Muslims are "Jihadis?"

This is a tricky question. See also "Moderate" Muslim.

Estimates average around 7% of the worlds Islamic population are engaged in some active form of terror activity, in some sort of active support, planning or implementing mode. 7% seems like a relatively small proportion. However, assuming a moderate estimate of 1.5 billion Muslims, even 5% would be what?

5% of 1.5 billion = "only" 75 million (75,000,000) are actively involved in some phase of violent Jihad.

Surveys have shown that an average of 25% of the Islamic population supports or condone some form of violent jihad. And these are just the ones who admit to it.

25% of 1.5 billion = "only" 375 million (375,000,000)
Source link please?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 12:31   #407

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah seriously, what's the source

You can't just say 'estimates average' and 'surveys have shown'

I estimate that I make the best macaroni and cheese on the planet, backed up by a survey of myself, my neighbour and his dog.
Old 23-11-2016, 02:21   #408
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It looks like they are getting more professional backing to attack bulk carriers

https://gcaptain.com/capesize-bulk-c...Captain.com%29
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 04:55   #409

On Handling "Tensions" in PHL - Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Ann, I also studied Calhoun and Skinner, so I agree that in the experiments with rats. massive overcrowding can cause deviant behavior.

Similar conditions exist in crowded jails, so it can be argued that the same may apply to humans.

What is reassuring about the Philippines is that there is a deep ingrained matriarchal influence on social ethics ...aimed to diffuse tensions amongst the males. The Catholic church reinforces it also, in their own intimidating way.

So Filipinos are actually really good at turning conflicts into humor, to save the face of others....(They call it "Hiyya")

Other countries, less conditioned to social correctness, will probably explode in a much more violent way if the whole world were to slide into social turmoil as millennialism becomes the problem rather than the solution.

Times, they are a changing, so I would watch where I cruise in the Philippines, but not be afraid of a mostly friendly people!
Excellent points. As someone who has also dabbled in the social sciences, I found your comments about "matriarchal influences" really interesting. I would be interested in knowing where you found such references.

I have often become a bit irked by the occasional Filippino wise crack, but I generally smile and make a relatively harmless wise crack myself. Then, everybody laughs and goes about their business. Definitely the way to handle conflict in this neck of the woods, given, of course that it is the relatively harmless type. Great post.
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:28   #410
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Philippine militants killed two Canadian hostages (Ridsdel and Hall). The victims’ families wonder why our government couldn’t do more to stop it.
Kept in the dark

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:43   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Philippine militants killed two Canadian hostages (Ridsdel and Hall). The victims’ families wonder why our government couldn’t do more to stop it.
Kept in the dark
Not sure what your intent is with this posting, since, in a threaded view, yours is a response to my post just above. Perhaps the placement of your response was an over-sight?

In any case, if you want to know what I think regarding the relevant content on this thread, please check some of the links which I have earlier posted.

All the best,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:55   #412
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Funny how cruisers think everything revolves around their safety and where they want to travel to risk free in the world.. 'I pay my taxes.. where's the Marines..??'
Grow Up folks.. its all part of life's rich tapestry.. mozzies, sharks, jellies, pirates, blah blah blah..
Or.. stay at home.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:07   #413

Boat: I don't have a boat yet. Shopping

I live in New Orleans. In the French Quarter having shards of glass or razor wire topping the walls are common place. Where ever you have extreme inequality of wealth you are just asking for eventual trouble.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:26   #414

Quote:
Kept in the dark
Then stay home. You leave the borders of the supposed safety of the U.S. you take your chances.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:27   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Funny how cruisers think everything revolves around their safety and where they want to travel to risk free in the world.. 'I pay my taxes.. where's the Marines..??'
Grow Up folks.. its all part of life's rich tapestry.. mozzies, sharks, jellies, pirates, blah blah blah..
Or.. stay at home.
Well said!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:45   #416
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Not sure what your intent is with this posting,...
My intent was to provide new background information to the story.
Has nothing to do with you or your thoughts.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:01   #417
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My intent was to provide new background information to the story.
Has nothing to do with you or your thoughts.
Gord,

Thanks for posting that link.

I read that article, which I found informative and telling another side of the story we have not seen covered in this thread.

The human side of the story is something we should not forget, when discussing things like boats and politics. Actions or inactions of governments can and do affect people, including cruisers.

Thanks again!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28   #418

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I live in New Orleans. In the French Quarter having shards of glass or razor wire topping the walls are common place. Where ever you have extreme inequality of wealth you are just asking for eventual trouble.
Some of us would rather say, wherever you have Muslims, you are asking for trouble. They are really just executing what their holy book prescribes.

The pirate attacks in the Philipines are not exactly a result of poverty or inequality either. If anything, the gangs of kidnappers are way more resourceful than average Filipinos ... due to their many years now of success with extracting ransoms.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:32   #419
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor
Pasted directly from the internet, so we know validity is suspect at best... But food for thought...

How many of these Muslims are "Jihadis?"

This is a tricky question. See also "Moderate" Muslim.

Estimates average around 7% of the worlds Islamic population are engaged in some active form of terror activity, in some sort of active support, planning or implementing mode. 7% seems like a relatively small proportion. However, assuming a moderate estimate of 1.5 billion Muslims, even 5% would be what?

5% of 1.5 billion = "only" 75 million (75,000,000) are actively involved in some phase of violent Jihad.

Surveys have shown that an average of 25% of the Islamic population supports or condone some form of violent jihad. And these are just the ones who admit to it.

25% of 1.5 billion = "only" 375 million (375,000,000)

Has anyone done a survey to see how many 'Blanco's' were/are actively involved in creating these hatreds..???
Seeing as the 'Jihadi' movement did not exist as such pre-70's.. we only had the PLO..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Some of us would rather say, wherever you have Muslims, you are asking for trouble. They are really just executing what their holy book prescribes.

The pirate attacks in the Philipines are not exactly a result of poverty or inequality either. If anything, the gangs of kidnappers are way more resourceful than average Filipinos ... due to their many years now of success with extracting ransoms.
It simply means that when denying people a means of earning wealth legally exists long enough or when enough barriers or lack of opportunity arise people will always find other ways of generating income. Legal or illegal.
Piracy is just another wealth earning method.
You add the amount of dispossessed people to the whatever % of people that would do it regardless of the economic situation.