Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 14:50   #391

Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
if cowboys had a general belief that you had to kill everyone that wasn't wearing a ten gallon hat and a part of their number was acting on that belief, while being hidden and sheltered by the other cowboys that weren't acting on it and the large majority of those not acting on it were sympathetic to those that were, governments around the world would be kicking cowboy butt without any concern for if it was racially or religiously offensive.

but, if it's muslims and not cowboys in the exact same situation, everyone handles it with kid gloves because they don't want to offend anyone. wtf?

the second part of the problem is that governments don't like armed citizens because, armed citizens are a risk for government power (the very reason the US constitution guarantees the right o bear arms). however, by protecting their own power, governments have insured that everyone is a victim.
BINGO! You Nailed it! We all need to drop this political correctness BS. before it gets us all killed.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 19:53   #392

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I understand the indignation, but most other animals don't ever rape (rats are one exception). The Muslim terrorists -- as I understand it, think they're doing God's work, their goal is like the Inquisitions, to make the world safe for those who agree with them.

Disgusting behavior, and pleasure in degrading people is a uniquely human failing.
While Ann is certainly free to form and post her own opinions, I think there are a number of problems with this post. Most importantly, there are quite a few cruisers in the area, and anything that inflames the situation increases their risk. And that's the best reason to say nothing unless it is helping keep those cruisers safe. Reporting on what is happening in the area helps people make informed decisions. Besides being patently absurd, suggesting that rats share common behaviors with terrorists of a certain religion does nothing but incite more violence and hatred.

I usually appreciate what Ann writes. I think this particular post doesn't meet her usual standards of politeness or sensibility.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:58   #393

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

G2l, I elect u as our CNN reporter for all things in P.I. Thanks for the level of reporting. This would never make it Stateside.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 06:50   #394
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pirates attacked a Vietnamese cargo ship and kidnapped six out of its 19 crewmembers off the Philippines’ Basilan island on November 11, said the Vietnam Maritime Administration.

The ship, named Royal 16, was on its way from Vietnam’s northeastern province of Quang Ninh to the Philippines with 19 crewmembers and a cargo of cement when it was attacked.

The photo below is the ROYAL 16.

This gives CF members some idea of the size of the vessels these pirates will take on. It is not just low freeboard small sailboats at risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	136286  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 14:33   #395
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have a gut feeling that the US navy has pulled back slightly as the anti-US sentiments play out in the Philippines.
This may be emboldening the Pirates
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 03:21   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have a gut feeling that the US navy has pulled back slightly as the anti-US sentiments play out in the Philippines.
Could be. Could also be the US Navy's way of trying to convince folks that their presence is indispensable, if any reasonable degree of law and order is to be maintained in the SCS.

Note the recent announcement that the Balikatan 2017 exercises will not be cancelled after all.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 03:31   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
... And this:

LOOK: PH frigate welcomed in Pearl Harbor

November 17, 2016 Gloria Seloza Nation 0
ShareTweet
Subscribe

E-mail Address:
Unsubscribe me
Categories

All categories
Entertainment
Nation
World

Subscribe meUnsubscribe

US Navy photo Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH) commanding officer Captain Stanley Keeve Jr. welcomed Philippine Navy frigate BRP Andres Bonifacio (FF-17) and its crew November 15 during a regularly scheduled port visit en route to the Philippines, the United States Navy said.

BRP Andres Bonifacio and its crew will be to hosting a reception onboard and interact with their host ship USS Halsey (DDG-97).
“Bonifacio was transferred to the Philippine navy at a ceremony in Alameda, California, July 21, as part of an agreement to transfer Hamilton-class 378-foot high endurance cutters to the Philippines through the Office of International Acquisition’s Excess Defense Articles program,” the US Navy said.
“The ship and crew just completed a four month upgrade and training period with the U.S. Coast Guard in Alameda that included one-on-one training with Coast Guard sailors and formal training on the ship’s systems,” US Navy added.
Old 18-11-2016, 06:00   #398

Philippines Pursuing German's Kidnappers

... Yes, this time it seems for real. President says he wants to eliminate Abu Sayyaf "to the last man". Check the below:

Four troops, 10 rebels dead in Philippine clashes: govt

AFP News18 November, 2016

Four Philippine soldiers and 10 Islamic militants were killed Friday as security forces clashed with gunmen who have abducted dozens of foreign sailors at sea in recent months, the military said.

Up to 150 members of the Abu Sayyaf traded fire with an army unit on the remote southern island of Jolo, but later withdrew, taking with them seven of their dead, regional military spokesman Major Filemon Tan told AFP.

"The purpose of the operation is to destroy the enemy and to rescue the victims," said Tan, who added the troops did not see any of the captives held hostage by the militants.

Four soldiers were killed and nine others wounded in the 45-minute firefight, while the authorities also recovered the bodies of three slain militants, Tan added.

The Abu Sayyaf is a loose network of militants formed in the 1990s with seed money from Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda network, and has earned millions of dollars from kidnappings-for-ransom.

In recent years some of its leaders have pledged allegiance to Islamic State fighters in Syria and Iraq.

The Abu Sayyaf is also blamed for the Philippines' deadliest bombings but in recent months, many of its activities have been kidnappings in the high seas.

Suspected Abu Sayyaf gunmen killed a German sailor and abducted her elderly male companion from their yacht at sea last week.

Five crew members of a Vietnamese cargo vessel were also kidnapped by unknown gunmen in nearby waters last week.

In recent months, the Abu Sayyaf has been accused of kidnapping dozens of Indonesian and Malaysian sailors in waters off the southern Philippines.
In what maritime experts described as a landmark incident, the South Korean captain of another cargo ship and a Filipino crewman were abducted off their vessel in October, the first such attack on a large merchant vessel.

Abu Sayyaf militants this year beheaded two Canadian hostages after demands for millions of dollars were not met. Most of the Indonesian and Malaysian sailors were released after ransoms were reportedly paid.
However two more Indonesian sailors were abducted on November 5.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has launched a military offensive to "destroy" the Abu Sayyaf, and Tan, the military spokesman, said Friday's clash was a continuation of the campaign.

But the militants have defied more than a decade of US-backed similar offensives, surviving in their mountainous and jungle-clad southern island strongholds where they have support from local Muslim communities.

AFP working with Vietnam embassy to locate 6 sailors

By Jaime Laude17 November, 2016

View photos

AFP working with Vietnam embassy to locate 6 sailors. The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is closely coordinating with the Vietnamese embassy in its effort to locate six Vietnamese sailors kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf bandits in waters off Basilan last week.Col. Edgard Arevalo, AFP Public Affairs Office chief, said the Vietnamese embassy is assisting the military in extracting vital information from the remaining crewmembers of M/V Royal, who escaped the abduction.“My understanding is that we have coordinated with the Vietnamese embassy, they have provided an interpreter for us to be able to come up with clearer information of what really happened,” Arevalo said. He declined to divulge details of ongoing field operations to rescue the hostages.There were reports the Vietnamese were sighted in the outskirts of Tipo-Tipo, Basilan and were being guarded by around 30 heavily armed bandits.“We do not want to preempt whatever action we are doing by saying exactly where they were taken,” he said.The Vietnamese were abducted while their vessel was cruising the Basilan Strait on Friday last week.Earlier, Abu Sayyaf bandits intercepted a German couple cruising the Sulu Sea on a yacht, taking away the male and killing his female companion. The female victim was found dead on the yacht, bearing signs of being raped.The abductions took place despite President Duterte’s order for AFP chief Gen. Ricardo Visaya to finish off the local terrorist group “down to the last man” and end its notoriety in Western Mindanao. Visaya is set to retire on Dec. 8.Duterte announced last week his wish to suspend the writ of habeas corpus to give more teeth to his campaign against criminality, especially drugs and terrorism.Aside from the Abu Sayyaf, the Lanao del Sur-based Maute gang is also considered a major terror group by security forces.
Old 18-11-2016, 06:04   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
G2l, I elect u as our CNN reporter for all things in P.I. Thanks for the level of reporting. This would never make it Stateside.
Thanks Alan, but I'd have to pass that honor to some other folks on this thread who have been at it longer than I.

Take care,

G2L
Old 19-11-2016, 03:51   #400

PS - On Your Mailbox ...

... it's full, and therefore, it cannot receive PMs from CF members.

Best regards,

G2L
Old 19-11-2016, 06:25   #401

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

G2L, but sir, surely u r a rising star. Smile.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 08:01   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
While Ann is certainly free to form and post her own opinions, I think there are a number of problems with this post. Most importantly, there are quite a few cruisers in the area, and anything that inflames the situation increases their risk. And that's the best reason to say nothing unless it is helping keep those cruisers safe. Reporting on what is happening in the area helps people make informed decisions. Besides being patently absurd, suggesting that rats share common behaviors with terrorists of a certain religion does nothing but incite more violence and hatred.

I usually appreciate what Ann writes. I think this particular post doesn't meet her usual standards of politeness or sensibility.
I, for one, think Ann's take is spot on. Your take is exactly the same take most had about Hitler. These people (Muslims, oh heaven forbid I said that so now I'm a racist for expressing my opinion!) kidnap for ransom, if they don't get the ransom demanded, they kill their captives. They routinely, in the name of Allah, decapitate those who will not convert to Islam. You might want to read the Koran. In part, it says:

Quran (9:5) "But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them..." Prayer and charity are among the Five Pillars of Islam, as salat and zakat. (See below). The Quran thus sanctions violence as a means of coercing religion.

You can sweep Muslim terrorism under the rug if you wish. However, by the words of their Quran, Muslims are not compatible with ANY other religion on earth, nor are they the Religion of Peace as they profess, while lobbing off heads and blowing up innocent women and children at the same time.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 14:25   #403

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SunandMoon, of course you're free to disagree with me, we all have opinions, and we all know what they're worth. However, about the rats, John B. Calhoun studied the effects of overcrowding on rats from about 1945 through 1975 or so, and the stressor for the rats is overcrowding, so mine is not a great analogy. However, rats do not normally force themselves sexually upon other rats; they do, when overcrowded.

What we are dealing with in the Philippines are fanatical fundamentalist terrorists; and Christians have also behaved that way in the past. You may view such a statement as inflammatory (though I doubt the terrorists give a hoot about or read CF), however, I think it reflects what is true and correct. Ymmv.

While it is difficult seasons-wise to just up and leave the PH, I think that would be the prudent act for cruisers. Interestingly, a new CFer, who calls him or herself "Cacafuego" is presently running a thread about the route he will choose, and why he has chosen it.

Ann
Old 19-11-2016, 18:08   #404
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Ann, I also studied Calhoun and Skinner, so I agree that in the experiments with rats. massive overcrowding can cause deviant behavior.

Similar conditions exist in crowded jails, so it can be argued that the same may apply to humans.

What is reassuring about the Philippines is that there is a deep ingrained matriarchal influence on social ethics ...aimed to diffuse tensions amongst the males. The Catholic church reinforces it also, in their own intimidating way.

So Filipinos are actually really good at turning conflicts into humor, to save the face of others....(They call it "Hiyya")

Other countries, less conditioned to social correctness, will probably explode in a much more violent way if the whole world were to slide into social turmoil as millennialism becomes the problem rather than the solution.

Times, they are a changing, so I would watch where I cruise in the Philippines, but not be afraid of a mostly friendly people!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 06:39   #405
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Pasted directly from the internet, so we know validity is suspect at best... But food for thought...

How many of these Muslims are "Jihadis?"

This is a tricky question. See also "Moderate" Muslim.

Estimates average around 7% of the worlds Islamic population are engaged in some active form of terror activity, in some sort of active support, planning or implementing mode. 7% seems like a relatively small proportion. However, assuming a moderate estimate of 1.5 billion Muslims, even 5% would be what?

5% of 1.5 billion = "only" 75 million (75,000,000) are actively involved in some phase of violent Jihad.

Surveys have shown that an average of 25% of the Islamic population supports or condone some form of violent jihad. And these are just the ones who admit to it.

25% of 1.5 billion = "only" 375 million (375,000,000)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote