Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 20:47   #241

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Islamic extremists behead Western hostage in Philippines | Fox News.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 21:24   #242

Boat: Catalina 470

This is just tragic. No cause can justify these actions. John was a very decent, nice man, he deserved better.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 22:55   #243

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

RIP John. What a terrible thing to do. Sadly, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...I understand why gov't don't negotiate ransom monies. But it is just ridiculous that these hostages suffer for long periods of capture to meet their fate in such a ghastly way. God bless his family and I fear for the others captured in this raid.

Couldn't pay me to go near Muslim hot beds of this ilk.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 05:46   #244

You Could Help by Giving details

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I sailed southern Philippines last year, would not do it again. Not only did I know two f the guys kidnapped, I also had to use a club to fend off several aggressive fisherman while underway, I've never experienced this before.
That said I would return to other parts of the Philippines as the people are wonderful and its a beautiful country.

Dale,

Help the rest of us guys by giving some details about where exactly you ran into problems, and what were the circumstances that applied.

See my PM for more, and reply there please, if more appropriate.

Thanks,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 06:31   #245

Very Sad, Very Angry - And what of the Chinese?: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
RIP John. What a terrible thing to do. Sadly, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...I understand why gov't don't negotiate ransom monies. But it is just ridiculous that these hostages suffer for long periods of capture to meet their fate in such a ghastly way. God bless his family and I fear for the others captured in this raid.

Couldn't pay me to go near Muslim hot beds of this ilk.
This is just intolerable. Are we doing nothing about this because the Chinese hope that such atrocities will distract us enough for them to take over yet another Php island?

On that note, whatever happened to the PHp crew on the old, beached boat that the Chinese towed away from "their" island? This got ZERO air time on the Php net last time I looked.

Admittedly, I have been distracted with other issues, so any updates would be greatly appreciated.

G2L
Old 28-04-2016, 06:53   #246

LIL....

I was in the Corps in the 80's and we were chasing the NPA throughout the Philippines back then...they morphed into the Abu Sayef.
So this is nothing new, it has been going on for quite awhile. The area makes it hard to get to these groups. I wish it were easier.
Although they say they are "radical Islamist" and part of the Jihad I found them mostly to be opportunistic criminals bent on kidnapping for monies and ruthlessly killing whomever they wished on any whim. Very little law in some of those island and jungle areas.
I would also venture to guess we have some operators in the area assisting the Philippine Troops in their search. At least I hope so.....
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 07:19   #247

NPA = ASG ? We Don't Think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMaxx View Post
LIL....

I was in the Corps in the 80's and we were chasing the NPA throughout the Philippines back then...they morphed into the Abu Sayef.
So this is nothing new, it has been going on for quite awhile. The area makes it hard to get to these groups. I wish it were easier.
Although they say they are "radical Islamist" and part of the Jihad I found them mostly to be opportunistic criminals bent on kidnapping for monies and ruthlessly killing whomever they wished on any whim. Very little law in some of those island and jungle areas.
I would also venture to guess we have some operators in the area assisting the Philippine Troops in their search. At least I hope so.....
Hi, appreciate your input. I was there too, at the time. Do not agree that the two have "morphed" except that some in the south may have done so. NPA is still active in other parts and their agenda is radically different than the Abbu group, who, I agree, are using their religious tendencies to make money and do the bidding of their "handlers".

PM me if you want to talk more.

G2L
Old 28-04-2016, 07:55   #248

Gone2long,
Thanks...I was under the impression that the NPA had become the Abu Sayyef. I am glad you corrected me on that!
I also was mostly down south...from Subic Bay & Cebu mostly and all the little hidey holes in between it seemed...thanks for the clarification...been a good while since I was in the area...I sent you a PM.
M
BlueMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:10   #249

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

I spent good portion of my young adulthood in and around the Philippines in the 80's as well. The NPA was affiliated with the Communist Party of the Philippines and not really associated with the Muslim Autonomy movement. That was led primarily by the MNLF, then the MILF split off and was formed a bit later. In the early 90's Abu Sayyaf was established and it roots belong to MNLF as well.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:31   #250

Re: You Could Help by Giving details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Dale,

Help the rest of us guys by giving some details about where exactly you ran into problems, and what were the circumstances that applied.

See my PM for more, and reply there please, if more appropriate.

Thanks,

G2L
Hi G2L, I spend most of 2015 and some of 2014 in the Philippines, thought the people and country.are great , particularly enjoyed Palawan and then the trip from Puerto Galera down to Cebu and southern Leyte.

There was 3 incidents. The first happened at approx6 48 .07 N 126 18.966E. I'm almost tempted to not mention the first as I believe it was a isolated incident and is very different from the other two experiences.
We had intruders enter the boat while we slept and stole my phone and several other things. Susan woke me with "someones on deck". I ran up to find two young guys paddling away in a canoe. I through kayak in and paddled to shore. My yelling woke the village and I was met on shore. The short version is, the villagers were fantastic , very embarrassed, and went out of their way to find the culprits and get my phone back. There was no threat of voilence or any aggression what so ever. A very Christian village.

The second and potentially more serious incident happened approx
05 32.612N 125 29.235E.
We had left Samal marina 3 days earlier, this is appropriately 2 weeks prior to kidnapping. We had just exited the Gulf of Davao when several Bankas ( small fishing boats) started approaching. I was downstairs when Vicky came down to tell me fisherman are coming. I've experienced fisherman all through Asia, always friendly and never a problem. As I walked up the companion way to say hello one guy ran to the front of his boat and jumped on Freeforms starboard quarter, we were motorsailing at approx 6 knots. I sensed aggression straight away. He was standing on the toe rail outside of life lines. I stepped forward to prevent him getting further onto Freeform. He aggressively started saying "money" . At this stage ive got the situation under control, I'm in a much stronger postion than he is, but with more boats approaching I'm concerned. He can't speak english (much) . I asked Vicky to head downstairs and radio friends in a achorage approx 3nm away to let then know we hand a potential situation and also to grab a smallbag of pesos off the chart table, which she did. I wanted this guy off the boat before several others arrived. I enticed him back to his boat with the money. I couldn't leave the cockpit. I asked Vicky to go get my club (battern) and also increased speed to full throttle. If need be I was planning on ramming their boats as I couldn't out run them. A second guy approached our stern quickly, I communicated firmly do not board my boat. He ran forward and went to grab the pushpit, I swung and grazed his head with my club which made him back away, he is now screaming and very aggressive but staying clear of me. The situation ended with me pretending to talk into handheld vhf, they went away when they saw this. These guys were Muslim and had come from Mindanao. Once I entered the anchorage I found four other boats that I new, they had heard the radio conversation. Some offered their advice on what they would have done. Ive thought about the situation a number of times and are happy with the way we dealt with it, we stayed calm , didn't get over aggressive until required and all ended well. Vicky haddled the situation very well.

For those that have commented in the past about us and others being in that area, keep in mind that most of us that were in the samal marina were not fools, this includes John that has just been murdered. We had researched the area prior to going. The marina is a modern marina with haul out facility on a predominately christian island, with no reported dangers. Even Davao due to its mayor was considered one of the safer Philipino cities. Easy to judge from far away.

Also fate plays a role. John was planning on being with us heading to Raja Ampat. He became ill prior to the trip and that's why he was still at the marina. Also from what other friends have told me , he went to help David and his wife, this is how he got taken. Both kjarton and John went to help, which is a reflection of their characters, they could have kept their heads down but chose not to.

Hope this helps and isnt to much rambling.

Cheers Dale.
Freeform.

Old 28-04-2016, 19:57   #251

Thanks for sharing this......

Thank goodness none of the Muslims were armed.
Old 28-04-2016, 20:03   #252

I should add, that these people were poor people, in no way am I suggesting they were a militant group like those that attacked the oceanview marina......just oppurtunists. In saying that, it does not excuse their aggression or behaviour. Their are lots of wealthy poor people in the Philippines. They may not have "stuff" but they have family, community and religion ( I'm not religuous), ive been invited to weddings in villages that are just humbling.
Cheers Dale.

Old 29-04-2016, 00:37   #253
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks for sharing Dale......I really love the Filipino people and have enjoyed living here for the last 15 years, but now I feel it is time to sail away.

Corruption abounds at all levels and it is almost endemic in their national psyche

There is an ever growing sense of discontent amongst honest Filipinos as major corruption cases come to light both reinforcing that mindset and feeding their discontent

I get a sense that more Filipinos are getting ready to run amok as first defined by their Malay neighbours.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 00:43   #254

Hi Pelagic, the corruption thing is a shame. I'm moving on from Asia as of next year, it's been great but 5 years is enough for now
Cheers Dale.

Old 29-04-2016, 02:32   #255

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks for sharing Dale......I really love the Filipino people and have enjoyed living here for the last 15 years, but now I feel it is time to sail away.

Corruption abounds at all levels and it is almost endemic in their national psyche

There is an ever growing sense of discontent amongst honest Filipinos as major corruption cases come to light both reinforcing that mindset and feeding their discontent

I get a sense that more Filipinos are getting ready to run amok as first defined by their Malay neighbours.
This would fit into the Indonesian paradigm: placid, lovely people. Smiling faces, gentle culture with little crime... then periodic paroxysms of violence and utter bloodbaths. Trust your instincts. See you in Thailand/Malaysia?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote