Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:19   #181

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Re: Pirate attack Phillipines ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Zven, I hear what you are saying. Unfortunately, Samal is in the southern Philipines. Have you ever been to this area? I have never been south of Bacolod City. But those Filipina women will tell you that it is not safe for Western people down there. Even Filipinos are on high watch when they go south. It is not just the Abu types. There are the NPA types and the those who would kill you for 50 dollars if they got the offer.

This thread has gone on for a long time and not much else can be said except prayers for those people.
I know a bit about the area, Alan. I've been travelling quite a bit around the Eastern side of Mindanao, which has not had any problems at all.
The NPA are not considered a threat to foreigners, generally.
Agreed that probably there is not much we can do or say for now. Hoping for the best outcome for the victims.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:57   #182
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

A very good news story about the German couple kidnapped last year off Palawan.

Good job Philippines military!

Abu Sayyaf sub-leader hurt in Sulu clash | Nation, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

Another report says he was killed in the operation.
Philippine police and military personnel killed Abu Sayyaf leader Abdulhasan Yusop Sanajalun, aka Bullet, at 4 am on Sunday, November 8.
The firefight erupted as government forces wanted to serve a warrant of arrest against Bullet in Campo Dos, Colonia, Lamitan City.
An undetermined number of gunmen fired at the joint team of military and police personnel.
This did not deter government troops from trying to seize Bullet.
In the process, the encounter left 3 military personnel wounded.
Bullet has warrants of arrest for kidnapping and serious illegal detention, issued by a court in Zamboanga City.
He was involved in a series of killings of military and police personnel, retailers, and foreign nationals. His group was also engaged in extortion, as well as the kidnapping of 3 construction firm employees in Barangay Cadayan in the municipality of Akbar in January.

Note: Paper says the released Germans paid $250mm. That is an error. Another paper reads In October 2014, two Germans were freed after being held for six months in the southern Philippines by Abu Sayyaf, which reportedly received 250 million pesos ($5.6 million) in exchange for their release. Locally here in Philippines, three figures are circulating and we cant be sure.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 05:08   #183
Marine Service Provider

News regarding kidnapping of Malaysian electrical engineer named Then. Then appears to have been beheaded.

Heeding the plea of Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak to punish the kidnappers of a Malaysian man in Mindanao, President Benigno Aquino III has ordered the military and police to intensify their operations against the Abu Sayyaf Group.
Old 23-11-2015, 05:34   #184
Marine Service Provider

From P3 billion to P900 million (roughly US$65 million to US$19.4 million).
The bandit Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) has reportedly lowered their ransom demands in exchange for the freedom of their three foreign hostages on Sulu Island.
A senior Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) leader made this revelation yesterday.
Apparently, he said the terrorist group bent on making money out of their two Canadian and Norwegian captives realized the enormity of their original demands of P1 billion (about US$21 million) each.
Old 23-11-2015, 05:44   #185
Marine Service Provider

Also this week in Court 3 Muslim militants were convicted and sentenced to life in prison for their part in the 2011 kidnappings of an American woman, her teenage son and a Filipino relative vacationing in the country's south. A Philippine regional trial court convicted the three Abu Sayyaf militants for the July 12, 2011, kidnappings of Gerfa Lunsmann, her American son Kevin and her Filipino relative Romnick Jakaria from an island beach cottage off Zamboanga city Mindano. Military and police officials welcomed the convictions Monday and said they were searching for the remaining 30 suspects, including notorious Abu Sayyaf commander Puruji Indama, who has also been linked to bomb attacks and other terrorist acts.
Old 23-11-2015, 05:50   #186
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pbmaise, thanks for keeping up with this and posting. I had been wondering what has happened.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 05:56   #187
Marine Service Provider

Another news article this week claims the 4 kidnapped victims from the marina were now combined with a Dutchman and Chinese-Filipino. A reported 115 members of Abu Sayyaf are now implicated in holding or capturing these 6. That is a very large number of wives and relatives to keep quiet. Hopefully, some are keeping track on their cell phones of all those involved so they can claim millions in reward monies being offered for their capture and convictions.
Old 29-11-2015, 18:37   #188
Marine Service Provider

Well at least he is under arrest. A "key aid" associated with the Malaysian kidnappings is currently under arrest as of Saturday when he was involved in a car crash. Unfortunately, no one realized the other two in the car were also Daesh (Daesh is what I will call them for now in accordance with international community, I hope we can stick with a name for more than a week).

Hopefully under questioning he may shed light on the Samal kidnappers.
Old 30-11-2015, 05:51   #189
Marine Service Provider

More good news. Officials indicate two separate Daesh arrests. Kadafi Kamsa was in the carwreck. Saddam Jailani was picked up the day before in port of Jolo. Malaysia has announced it wants both men. So the police action is starting to work. Hopefully, each arrest will lead to 10 more.

Soon 115 men involved in the Samal kidnappings will also be heading to jail for life.

Get reward money or life in jail. Likely they will all accept life in jail. Although it might take just one relative to bring down this group.
Old 30-11-2015, 07:38   #190

Thanks for keeping us informed on this situation pbmaise.
You know, every time I hear about acts of terrorism the word muslim is always somewhere in the article as the perpetrators. Have these nut jobs declared war on the rest of the world?
Maybe it's time to

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50   #191
Marine Service Provider

Thank you.

I have been told the kidnappers monitor this site and so I address much of my posts to them.

Here is another article detailing the ransoms paid recently and how those payments have in turn helped spark more kidnappings. It mentions both the German sailors, 2 Malaysians, and the current hostages.

aijac.org.au/news/article/asia-watch-paying-the-price

Here is an older artcle that came out a few weeks ago.
EDITORIAL - Rich rewards | Opinion, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

These help reinforce the personal stance many of us take to never ever allow our families to pay any money.

It is good to be an American and know the USA still has a standing $1 million dollar award awaiting someone that helps bring to justice those involved in the kidnappings of three Americans in 2001 from a resort in the southwestern Philippines.

See: Samal hostages appear in video appealing for halt in military ops vs kidnappers

If you have information that leads to capture and prosecution of the current 115 contact the Canada or Norway embassy in Manila. Canada and Norway are two of wealthiest countries in the world and will reward you well.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:19   #192

These kidnappers need to be hinted down and eliminated. All of them. It is very strange that the lical Army hasn't done so after all this time. I would not leave a stone unturned to get at these scum. But I think it is strange that we don't see the same motivation from the Government. It is that who have to upscale the search and rescue and proceed with full force and prejudice. IMHO
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:15   #193
Marine Service Provider

Another kidnapper was caught this past Thursday in Zamboanga.

Names/AKA. Arasad Saidjuwan/Arasad Amin Sahid, also known as Abu Ayob or Abu Mara/Amama.

cnnphilippines.com/regional/2015/12/03/abu-sayyaf-arrested-Arasad-Saidjuwan-basilan.html
Old 04-12-2015, 03:30   #194

Boat: LAGOON 400

is there any place left where they have good food and is safe and fun ?

just crossed phillipines out.

why these wars everywhere ?!?!?! cant be just americans guilty of everything, that is bs....
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:02   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
is there any place left where they have good food and is safe and fun ?

just crossed phillipines out.

I spent the first half of my life in New Orleans and the 2nd in Atlanta. I can make the trek into either city for a swanky dinner and find myself victimized.

Live free just minimize actions that make you an easy mark.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote