Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 13:54   #1
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Pirate Action Group

You know I don't really want to hear about how the pirates are anything more than organized crime!

Pirates grow wealthy
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 14:09   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,957
Re: Pirate Action Group

Hang 'em high!
__________________

__________________
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 14:22   #3
Registered User
 
Sabbatical II's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lake Macquarie
Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Posts: 756
Images: 1
Re: Pirate Action Group

While considering what effective action we can take, for those of us living in the free west imagine what our own societies would decend into if:

The government of the country is overthrown and no effective control can be maintained over the criminal element. Unemployment hits astronomical levels. Even employment pays, at best a subsistence wage. You don't have the money to buy food for your wife and children tonight again. Thugs are roaming the village again tonight and being poor, your humble shack provides no protection for your family. It's cold again tonight and your own family is shivering, huddled together trying to keep warm. Chronic disease constantly grips your community and your own family. In view of your coastline, food, clothing, medical supplies and luxury goods on a scale hard to imagine travel on ships to another world that you can't afford to escape to.

It is true, we need to find an answer to the pirate problem. But there are greater reasons to fix it than just to allow a few yachties to sail their snazzy yachts past the starving millions without being inconvenienced.

The event that brought me the most joy in the recent Olympics was Mo Farrer winning the 5,000m for Great Britain. He had already won the 10,000m. Mo of course came to Great Britain a Somalian refugee who could not speak a word of English. That the English embraced him as their own was the "feel good" moment of the games for me.
__________________
Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 15:59   #4
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Re: Pirate Action Group

you missed my point, I'm not arguing the "what would I do" in those conditions

because the facts are that it is just organized crime now days, does organized crime ever get out of their "marketplace" once in it just because the police etc come after them?

really now, what does Mo have to do with pirates
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 16:23   #5
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Pirate Action Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
really now, what does Mo have to do with pirates
Really now, what do pirates have to do with sailing in New Hampshire?

If you're not interested in the root causes of piracy, then why start a thread on it? Let's just talk boating.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 16:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Pirate Action Group

i think the english held and ran a great games,those pirates seem to have the same level of organization!...manners also!...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 16:58   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Pirate Action Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post

Mo of course came to Great Britain a Somalian refugee who could not speak a word of English. That the English embraced him as their own was the "feel good" moment of the games for me.
That is great.

Maybe he will go home now and help others.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 17:20   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Pirate Action Group

Or maybe we need to start a Priate section to the Games !! then they can compete for the worlds best Pirates and get medals, of course this wont help cruisers but it will tell us for sure where we can't cruise !! just a thought! ( and it makes as much sense as Mo in the olympics! do to this post)
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 17:24   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Pirate Action Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
While considering what effective action we can take, for those of us living in the free west imagine what our own societies would decend into if:

The government of the country is overthrown and no effective control can be maintained over the criminal element. Unemployment hits astronomical levels. Even employment pays, at best a subsistence wage. You don't have the money to buy food for your wife and children tonight again. Thugs are roaming the village again tonight and being poor, your humble shack provides no protection for your family. It's cold again tonight and your own family is shivering, huddled together trying to keep warm. Chronic disease constantly grips your community and your own family. In view of your coastline, food, clothing, medical supplies and luxury goods on a scale hard to imagine travel on ships to another world that you can't afford to escape to.

It is true, we need to find an answer to the pirate problem. But there are greater reasons to fix it than just to allow a few yachties to sail their snazzy yachts past the starving millions without being inconvenienced.

The event that brought me the most joy in the recent Olympics was Mo Farrer winning the 5,000m for Great Britain. He had already won the 10,000m. Mo of course came to Great Britain a Somalian refugee who could not speak a word of English. That the English embraced him as their own was the "feel good" moment of the games for me.
amazing how fast you can run with a bunch of bad guys chasing......
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 17:26   #10
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,201
Images: 52
Re: Pirate Action Group

Note the disparity in costs in that article-pirates took 160 million in ransom in one year but it cost shipping companies 7 billion dollars of insurance to cover their shipping. Who are the REAL pirates? Who really stands the most to gain from this political situation in Somalia continuing? Pirates or insurance companies and companies that illegally dump nuclear and toxic waste on the Somali shoreline?
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 18:14   #11
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Re: Pirate Action Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Really now, what do pirates have to do with sailing in New Hampshire?

If you're not interested in the root causes of piracy, then why start a thread on it? Let's just talk boating.

you got to be kidding right

but you are right I'm not interested in the root cause because it is like most crimes everywhere, all I care about is that it stops, but in this case it wouldn't because it has now become organized crime!

I'm a boater not a social worker!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 18:18   #12
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Re: Pirate Action Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Note the disparity in costs in that article-pirates took 160 million in ransom in one year but it cost shipping companies 7 billion dollars of insurance to cover their shipping. Who are the REAL pirates? Who really stands the most to gain from this political situation in Somalia continuing? Pirates or insurance companies and companies that illegally dump nuclear and toxic waste on the Somali shoreline?
other than the waste part, that's an interesting post/outlook at it

Of course everyone pays that 7 billion price because those costs are passed down to consumers

but still the point is that regardless of how the pirate issue started (even though it goes way back, just with broken periods), all it really is now is organized crime

it probably even has financial backers now looking for a return on investment
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 18:53   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 474
Re: Pirate Action Group

To figure out how to stop it, you need to know why it happens.

It is a complecated problem, and I'm sure there are lots of good, honest people living amongst the bad pirate gangs. But, individuals are pretty powerless to stop an organized crime syndicate.

The professional militaries aren't doing their job protecting foreign boats if they don't take these pirates out when they are caught committing the crime. And the international community has to be willing to step up support for refuges who want to be good citizens and play by the rules.
__________________
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 19:13   #14
Registered User
 
callmecrazy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Tartan 30
Posts: 1,548
Images: 1
Re: Pirate Action Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
other than the waste part, that's an interesting post/outlook at it

Of course everyone pays that 7 billion price because those costs are passed down to consumers

but still the point is that regardless of how the pirate issue started (even though it goes way back, just with broken periods), all it really is now is organized crime

it probably even has financial backers now looking for a return on investment
Well, just look at how we "stopped" organized crime in the US.

Take out the major players for the benefit of the media, and a little fear factor. Then franchise out certain businesses the others might be interested in, like casinos, resorts, etc..

They get a legit business to hide behind, and all the money they ever dreamed of. And we get to pretend they don't exist anymore

Oh, and make sure atleast a few of them get to run for public offices!
__________________
My Blog
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-08-2012, 19:24   #15
Registered User
 
Nemo55's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Punta Banda, Ensenada. and Canada
Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Posts: 728
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Pirate Action Group

I severely doubt that the root causes of Piracy are anything to do with being poor,,except maybe some poor farmers/fishermen who are ganged into working for the local Cartels.
These are the same warlords (loose term) who are there pulling the strings, as they where twenty and thirty years ago.
That they have continued largely unchallenged by our Western nations is suspicious at best.
If Piracy had anything to do with alleviating poverty or hunger, do you truly believe we would not have known it by now??

So i say "Release the Safeties" and let loose a few rounds in their direction, often enough to make the enterprise too costly for them.

As i believe hunger is an unrelated issue all to-gether.!!
__________________

__________________
"The Truth Shall set you Free....But First it will Piss You Off"

http://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.