Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 14:21   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
pilotage through the Torres straight

Lots of Aussie sailors on this board I've noticed. For those of you in proximity of Whitsundays -- can you offer any advice on transiting the Torres Straight over the top? Sailing direction suggest quite a bit of current and it looks to be quite shallow in parts from the charts.
micoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 14:53   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I know next to nothing about it, but I have some friends who have sailed around in that area...If I see any of them in the next few days, I will ask them for advice and post it here.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 15:55   #3
Bob Norson

Here is the inside Aussie advice.... you get your hands on a copy of Alan Lucas's "Cruising the Coral Coast" (8th edition is the most recent) which gives you all the tidal flow info, approaches, passages, anchorages etc. The guide covers from the NSW border on the south right round to Darwin. It truly is considered the bible here. Perhaps the best cruising guide anywhere. It goes for about $75 AUD and is available from most chandleries, marina offices or from me. It will add to your enjoyment and comfort whilst cruising the Queensland coast. Of course you will have the proper paper charts...

You are correct in sizing up the issues of tide and shallow water. care must be taken and important to have the correct info but no problem with those areas covered. Shipping there requires the service of a local pilot. A freind of mine runs "Australian Reef Pilots" on Thursday Island (TI) where you can pick up your copy of The Coastal Passage!

Cheers
Bob
Old 10-05-2006, 22:01   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
As I recall there are a lot of narrow passages surrounded by un-surveyed reef areas. You should likely expect to motor a fair bit. IIRC there are restrictions on pumping grey and black water inside of the GBR, so tank capacity might be an issue. Have fun and watch out for the crocs.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:35   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Torres Straight

Recent issue of Ocean Navigator has an article written by a couple who recently went through there.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 13:24   #6

Just got my copy of _Cruising the Coral Coast_ -- quite a book. I think we may be staying in Australia much longer than originally "planned." The stretch of water from Queensland to the Torres looks amazing.
Old 08-06-2006, 14:22   #7

Boat: Just purchased a Benateau 323 clipper
I went through about 3 years ago - came up the Great Barrier Reef then into the Torres Straight on route for Darwin.

<I agree on the chart it looks daunting. Actually it's straightforward if you follow the main buoyed channel - the big ship route marked on your chart. The other routes are fine as well it's just easier to follow the main channel.. I anchored up between Horn Island and Wednesday Island - nice place - good company - the Great barrier reef is quite lonely in the northern part..

<br><br>The Torres straight is smaller than you expect from looking at the chart. the main big ship channel is straightforward and Horn Island is a well protected anchorage to take a breath before heading round Cape Wesel for Darwin..

Michael <br>
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 14:41   #8

red sea

Michael -- enjoyed reading your site. Excellent info on passagemaking in the red sea.