Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2011, 18:14   #16

Re: PFDs and Tenders

I too don't like the silly law that tells us what we have to do, but I will say that we're in much greater danger in the dink than on the big boat. US Coast Guard statistics show that the typical drowning victim was in a small open boat on a day with nice weather and he/she just falls overboard and drowns. Probably 99% of these are from small fishing boats, but I suspect there are a lot more drownings from dinghies than from big boats. In any case, carry a few of the cheapest possible PFDs and you're good to go. Never had one stolen from my dink. I find them handy for keeping stuff out of the water in the bottom of the dinghy, and for sitting on from time to time.

Old 21-02-2011, 19:07   #17

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

We use the cheapo orange ones that sell for less than $10 in the dink. BUT-- that is only for going to a near shore under good conditions.

Old 21-02-2011, 19:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
use duct tape.

most dinks have a thwart seat used for rowing. on mine, two of those orange cheapie PFDs will fit neatly beneath the seat, and a single round of duct tape on each one will keep them there.

We take them in the dink with us.

They sure get in the way.

My little seat is so small they would stick out on both sides but it sounds like a good idea. At least they are not floating around.

I have yet to find a way to wrap the straps so they sort of stay together and yet are easy to put on if needed. Of course that is dumb - did I say that? - once needed one needs to find them and probably can't get it on anyway. Oh well.................

We just leave them in the dink. I don't think anyone will steal them. I pick them up off the side of the road in the summer afternoons if traveling toward town from a "beach" direction.

The wife doesn't like it much but, hey, it's free!

Mildew sounds good.
Old 21-02-2011, 23:07   #19

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: PFD and tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Here in Brittany, stories about drowned professional fishermen were frequent in the newspapers before PFD were made compulsory in tenders.

In winter, the water temp is about 10C / 50F. Oilies and seaboots didn't help for swimming

Alain
I can swim form the dock the boats near the rock wall its never rough, I use the dink so I
a. dont have to swim then dock the boat for the family.
b. It a good k walk the get out on the dock then a 50mt swim our water temp is nice this time of year.

I like the idea Of using big ugly pdfs thanks for your ideas guys this is what makes CF is so fantastic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0283.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	24057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0297.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	24058  

Old 21-02-2011, 23:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I too don't like the silly law that tells us what we have to do, but I will say that we're in much greater danger in the dink than on the big boat. US Coast Guard statistics show that the typical drowning victim was in a small open boat on a day with nice weather and he/she just falls overboard and drowns. Probably 99% of these are from small fishing boats, but I suspect there are a lot more drownings from dinghies than from big boats. In any case, carry a few of the cheapest possible PFDs and you're good to go. Never had one stolen from my dink. I find them handy for keeping stuff out of the water in the bottom of the dinghy, and for sitting on from time to time.
+1

I agree. Unless the water is warm and weather calm and balmy, I require life jackets in my tender. I think you're at much greater risk of going over from the tender and I think it's dangerous. I actually had someone fall in the water last year when stepping from the tender to my swim platform. It was on a mooring at DArtmouth and the tide was ripping. Even wearing a life jacket he could have been swept out and drowned. Fortunately his father was still sitting in the dink and in a flash grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and hauled him into the tender, although the boy was a fully grown teenager.

I agree, however, that it should not be required by law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: