Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Personality types of sailors

This news feature was just broadcast on the CBC here in Canada. It brought to mind this thread, so I thought I’d post it.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...thor-1.4838804

The piece is basically an interview with Oxford University associate professor Merve Emre talking about her research for her book: The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myers-Briggs and the Birth of Personality Testing.

This quote is the summary:

Quote:
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a test that aims to establish how a person perceives the world and makes decisions, dividing respondents into 16 personality types. First developed in 1943, it's now used by universities, Fortune 500 companies, and even the CIA.

To fans and true believers, the test is a great tool for self-understanding. But to critics like Merve Emre, an associate professor at Oxford University, it's an unscientific weapon for corporate labour management.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:23   #77

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I go for ISTP, for what is it worth.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:55   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
I go for ISTP, for what is it worth.
According to the Center for Applications of Psychological Type, 4–6% of the United States population are ISTP* (Introversion, Sensing, Thinking, Perception).

* The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator instrument measures personality preference on four scales;
Extraversion - Introversion (E - I)
Sensing - Intuition (S - N)
Thinking - Feeling (T - F)
and
Judgment - Perception (J - P)

Estimated Frequencies of the Types in the United States Population ➥ https://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14   #79

"But to critics like Merve Emre, an associate professor at Oxford University, it's an unscientific weapon for corporate labour management"

To the minds of free men and women, even the quoted sentence contains evidence of the effects of a Hegelian dialectic

There are different frames of reference by which people may choose to distinguish humans from animals. One of those reference frames holds that humans use tools while animals do not (withstanding that animals do use tools). Anyhow, a tool offers utility to change your environment in a way that is favorable to you, more than you can affect without the tool.

So you may not believe in knives. Let me just say, that if you don't believe in knives, that it would be "scientific" to say that a knife, in the right hands, is indeed a tool...one that you particularly don't want used against you. Sometimes you come from a perspective where all knives are made of foam.

Back to the "horoscopes don't matter" discussion.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 16:00   #80
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
I will go out on a limb here and say the one common trait is sailors crave the different.
That's certainly true of me. Right on! Pegged me!

It's said that, as people grow older, they shun novelty. Same food, same music, etc.

I crave novelty.

Just ask any of my ex-wives or girlfriends...
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 16:56   #81

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of this one before.
Every so often I get sent on some kind of Managment team building touchy feeling version of charm school. Where they give you some kind of personality test, get you to post yellow stickies on wall.
The course presenter has usually figured out by the first coffee break. I am the really annoying guy, who thinks it’s all bs.

TIFP
Typical Internet Forum Poster
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 03:41   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

After decades of research, world-renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D., discovered a simple but groundbreaking idea: the power of mindset. In her book “Mindset: The New Psychology of Success”, she shows how success in school, work, sports, the arts, and almost every area of human endeavor can be dramatically influenced by how we think about our talents and abilities.
One of the most basic beliefs we carry about ourselves, Dweck found in her research, has to do with how we view and inhabit what we consider to be our personality.
A “fixed mindset” assumes that our character, intelligence, and creative ability are static givens which we can’t change in any meaningful way, and success is the affirmation of that inherent intelligence, an assessment of how those givens measure up against an equally fixed standard; striving for success and avoiding failure at all costs become a way of maintaining the sense of being smart or skilled.
A “growth mindset,” on the other hand, thrives on challenge and sees failure not as evidence of unintelligence but as a heartening springboard for growth and for stretching our existing abilities.

More ➥ https://getpocket.com/explore/item/f...hape-our-lives

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 08:56   #83
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I completely agree with this thesis. As a child, my father would ask: "What have you failed at lately?" If I said "nothing," he'd tell me I'm not trying hard enough.

The most successful people I have know viewed life as an experiment and a classroom -- where one's reach should always exceed one's grasp.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail