Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 13:18   #61

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Personal Safety and Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Crime rates, at least in rich Western countries, have been closely related to male youth population levels. Most crime is perpetrated by males in their teens through to about age 30. A big part of the decline in crime rates in western countries, particularly Canada & US, are associated with the general decrease of this demographic. I expect this association between young males and crime rates holds true in other societies as well.

So the lesson might be to sail to places with lots of seniors.

Mike you hit on one of the big reasons for the decrease in violent crime. The change in youth demographic is a significant. The reduction in children born in poverty, broken families, and most of all UNWANTED has been reduced. Legalization of abortion in the 70's gets a lions share of credit here. Those kids are simply not brought to term.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:22   #62

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There is a lot of evidence that the reduction in crime corresponds to the arrival of unleaded gasoline.
Old 01-05-2013, 13:30   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Personal Safety and Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Very well said, Boatman. But what percentage of the members of CruisersForum would be considered "working seaman" and what percentage would fall under the category "white collars?" I suspect the percentages are overwhelming in the latter. I, for one, would definitely qualify as a "white collar" albeit with a respectable amount of ocean miles under my keel. Good luck and good sailing.
LOL... no offense was intended by the 'White Collar'... just the way I describe the average big boat (35ft+) owner, retired office/bank folk and out in the real world for the 1st time who expect to find 'Suburbia' in Marseilles, Lisbon, Colon, Tangier's or the Caribbean.. and seem surprised it has never existed.. or ever will..
borders are dangerous places historically and that's what lots of ports are.. border towns..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:34   #64
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...borders are dangerous places historically and that's what lots of ports are.. border towns..
+1
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:43   #65

Quote:
From my perspective.. nothings changed that much... bit safer really.. the 'gut' in Malta in the 60's was pretty dodgey to wander down off an evening.. Boogie Street, Singapore... Gibraltar and a few others.. its just you new comers don't know the world as it was
A lot of places cruisers go today are much, much safer than they used to be--not all, but many. People don't realize what places like Newport, RI, were like "back in the day." I was there at the tail end of some of it, and you wouldn't dare walk after dark in places that today are full of very expensive and chichi clubs.

Quote:
Long time residents and old salts will recall that Newport used to be considered the stereotypical old time Navy town - with places like "Leo's First and Last Stop" at the end of Long Wharf, the "Blue Moon", and the infamous "Blood Alley" of West Pelham Street. The stuff legends and tall tales were made of. When the Fathers of Newport kept a close eye on the daughters of Newport.

All of that is gone now, and the Naval military and civilian population that exists today is quite different from that of the previous era. The military presence throughout Rhode Island began to decrease in the 1960s, with a dramatic change resulting from the closure of Quonset Point in the early 1970s. Today, the total population of all the Naval commands in Narragansett Bay has now decreased to less than a tenth of what it was during its heyday (now approximately 15,000 military and civilian employees remain).
Old 01-05-2013, 13:44   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

Interesting read Kettlewell. I've heard that theory before, but didn't think it had been given a lot of credence. Here's some 2011 Canadian demographic data on those accused of a crime. The report says "Males account for 4 in 5 adults charged"

Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Uniform Crime Reporting Survey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11692-chart15-eng.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	60250  
Old 01-05-2013, 14:27   #67

Boat: Pearson 34-II

There is an interesting article written by cruising sailor and author Frank Virgintino entitled "Cruising With(Out) Fear."

He states: " However, there is one fear that is perhaps greater than all of our normal fears, and that is the fear of being boarded, either at anchor or underway, by those who would seek to rob us and possibly hurt us in the process. This fear is growing among cruisers and justifiably so. We are anxious because we do not know what to do if we are victims of such an act."

It is well worth reading and provides an interesting perspective on this hotly debated topic. Good luck and good sailing
Caribbean Compass - Caribbean Yachting and Boating News Magazinecruising_nofear.html
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

In the cruising (and in general tourism) there is a lot more "beaten path" than their ever used to be. Plusses and minuses to that.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

A story I've related on here before.. but maybe worth relating again..
In 2000 I flew to SXM to buy a boat that I fancied.. turned out to be crap so spent the next couple of weeks scouring Antigua and SXM for something before my return ticket expired..
I'd taken a cheap room in Phillipsburg on the Salt Lake over a local bar (cheapest I could find @ $40/nite) with no facilities other than a bed and shower... one night I left Lal's bar by Julianna airport and caught the last bus back to Phillipsburg.. got there gone midnight but was not ready to hit the sack and wandered through the back streets till I found a bar open... tiny owner and 2 hot 'hostess's'..
Once I established my needs were purely alcoholic we got on great and after much chat, drink and dancing I decided to make my way to my bed.. the owner, on discovering I had no coffee making facilities brewed me a pot of coffee and told me to return the pot the next day.. so I wandered of happily with my steaming pot and seeing a dark narrow alley with the lights of the main road by the lake at the far end I headed down it..
Halfway down a large shadow appeared in front of me.. sensing movement I looked behind and 2 others had appeared to my rear..
So.. I put my back to a wall and readied the pot of coffee...
Big guy say's.. " Yo Croc... what you doin walking here..." told him I was going home.. and one of the others asked if I had a dollar.. dug into the small pocket in my jeans where I carry 'Beggars Cash' and pulled out the $10 I'd stashed in there.. held it out and said.. "Sorry mon.. only got a 10... you got some change..?"
He did a double take then took it and ran off... meanwhile 'Big Fella' started chatting again... me back to wall with pot poised and $30,000 in my money belt rapped back... a couple of minutes later yer mans back... and hands me $9...
I looked at it.. somewhat surprised.. then peeled off the 4 singles and gave them to him...
He looked at it.. then me.. I grinned and said.. " Man.. you could have kept the $10 but played me straight so you deserve it bro.."
Then on the rest of my time in Phillipsburg was under the protection of these 3 crack heads... downed by circumstances of life but still good people at heart who invited me to their shack several times to hang out munch on spare ribs and chew the fat..
People on the lowest edge of the social scale can smell fear as easily as a dog can.. its pungent.. and like most mammals they will behave with caution and respect if the smell is not there.. just move slow and easy and don't provoke reaction with sudden movement or noise.
Never been beat up by strangers...
its 'friends and acquaintance's' who are usually a bigger danger..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09   #70
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Boatman, you are an awesome cool dude, Im waiting for the movie!

dave
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Boatman, you are an awesome cool dude, Im waiting for the movie!

dave
ROFLMAO.... as I say to the folks that want me to write a book... no one would believe it...
But thanks anyway..

Old 02-05-2013, 05:05   #72

Boat: Nonsuch 30

This is has been a very interesting discussion and overwhelmingly good sense. I just found the discussion so read it at one sitting which made it more interesting. I agree that crime, in general, has gone down. One thing not mentioned is that crime rates can go down and up as the circumstances change. A good example is what has happened in Venezuela and Colombia in recent years - one up and one down for cruisers. The reality is that when you cruise you listen to the news that is out there, but don't believe everything you hear and make your choices. A really good example for us was Colon where you make arrangements to go through the Canal. It has a reputation as a dangerous city, but you can make your arrangements, go shopping, take the bus to/from Panama City rather than the $100 taxi - just be careful. BTW, I get the impression that cruisers that have been to Colon have a better impression of Colon than those who have only read about it, although it is still a dump, although a dump with a bit of charm.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44   #73

Quote:
BTW, I get the impression that cruisers that have been to Colon have a better impression of Colon than those who have only read about it, although it is still a dump, although a dump with a bit of charm.
Maybe Colon is better on crime now compared to a few years back when I was there, when it was quite dangerous. Some folks we knew were tied up in the old yacht club and needed a new engine. They pulled the old engine and set it on the dock--the next morning when they woke up the engine was gone, so they lost their trade in. Another cruiser was hit over the head and robbed within the supposedly guarded yacht club compound. Some other folks were robbed out in the harbor. I did go into Colon to do various things and it didn't seem too bad during the day, but one time I was there with a local Panamanian guy who was helping me find my way around and he was super nervous. He kept telling me over and over again that he was watching my back. It was strange pulling into a gas station in my taxi and having the attendant stand watch over us with a shotgun at the ready.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:08   #74
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Great story, Boaty!

But I'd rather think they were the ones who were afraid of that coffee weapon you were carrying!

Aren't coffee weapons illegal?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Interesting read Kettlewell. I've heard that theory before, but didn't think it had been given a lot of credence. Here's some 2011 Canadian demographic data on those accused of a crime. The report says "Males account for 4 in 5 adults charged"

Source: Statistics Canada, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics, Uniform Crime Reporting Survey.
You must be a parole officer to haver such statistics so readily acvailable.. kudos to you ,, my opinion is simple as the have-nots want what the have-nows possess,,, that is reason for car=jackings and home-invasions becomoing the fastest growing crimes of north america,,,just ask any law enforcement officer and they will confirm,,car-jackingg is the fasterst growing crime committed in north america after armed robbery,,,both are a nightmare to the isolated couple of retired people living on a sailboat in strange surroundings,,, jmho
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, safety