Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 23:32   #1

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Personal Health

I guess it's fair to say that distance cruisers, especially those who head for lands which don't subscribe to the American ethics, and with limted access to health professionals whe they get there, have to be very careful.

To this end I have just made some most interesting discoveries....albeit discoveries made by othrs but for me to rediscover.

In your medical kit, what do you carry? I guess that if you're well enough connected you can get morphine for those really bad events, and even antibiotics for use some time in the future.

But for those less-well connected, what do you carry?

For the moment let's assert you're going to turn up in Guinea Basseu. The locals carry leprosy, AIDS, jaundice, Yellow fever, Dengue, you name it.

The thing I have recently learned about most bugs, came from me nearly having to put down my much-loved little dog.

The vet said, 'Sorry. She has cancer in her spleen, an enlarged heart, and a heart mumour, and is unlikely to survive surgery.'

My little dog, Honey, is to me like my first child. And here's the vet telling me her death is imminent.

Then luck played a hand.

To cut a long story short, I discovered double oxygen in the form of Ozone and hydrogen peroxide.

A natural health doctor shoved a load of Ozone up Honey's bum and, within two days, the bleeding cancer stopped bleeding and her little body reabsorbed the blood she had lost into her chest cavity. Her energy levels went back to post sickness and I'm thinking, 'Woooooo! What the hell is this stuff?'

Then, quite by accident, I got to reading about hydrogen peroxide. I rang the doc who had treated Honey. 'Is this the same type of stuff?

'Similar,' said he, 'but Ozone is just a bit more active.'

So I got on the net and studied.

People. Believe me. A few bottles of 6% hydrogen peroxid will cure more ills than you can imagine.

Ozone...HP's big brother...is hard to buy. But HP is freely available in most Western lands.

Go have a look at what extra oxygen in your bloodstream kills.

Just key in Hydrogen Peroxide and read, then get some bottles into your medical kit.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 00:22   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
HP is used to bleach hair and the activator in fibre glass. It burns skin tissue and has been used by terrorists to make bombs.

Maybe Margo (Flysci) can explain your findings if and when she reads this. Untill then, step away from the bottle. Do not swallow, do not induce vomiting and call a physician.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:45   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Oxygen Therapy

“... Available scientific evidence does not support claims that putting oxygen-releasing chemicals into a person's body is effective in treating cancer. It may even be dangerous. There have been reports of patient deaths from this method ...”

ACS :: Oxygen Therapy

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Ozone is a gas. Was Honey a balloon?

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:25   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
HP is used to bleach hair and the activator in fibre glass. It burns skin tissue and has been used by terrorists to make bombs.

Maybe Margo (Flysci) can explain your findings if and when she reads this. Untill then, step away from the bottle. Do not swallow, do not induce vomiting and call a physician.
I'd be more worried out sticking it up me bum . but I do admit to a reluctance in general to have strange things stuck up me bum - views of others on this may, as always, vary

FWIW 1st class Health Care is available in 95% of the world on American Health care principles. If you've got the money you get the cure. the pretty nurses and the helicopter evac.

Simply a question of cash.

Remember that most countries have their own "Lords & Masters" and they are no more interested in dying of strange / preventable / treatable diseases than ours are. Even if that means sometimes swapping countries .

The good news is that in a cash rationed health system no queues Those that clutter up the system in universal health care systems either don't have the cash to steal "your" doctor. or are dead. Either way they are not forming a Q ahead of you. What's true in the West is even truer in the 3rd world.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
A natural health doctor shoved a load of Ozone up Honey's bum
Thats the difference between Natural health and Western Medicine. Bedside manner.

Glad Honey is fine

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:47   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Glad Honey is fine
Yeah, and the dog
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Oxygen Therapy

“... Available scientific evidence does not support claims that putting oxygen-releasing chemicals into a person's body is effective in treating cancer. It may even be dangerous. There have been reports of patient deaths from this method ...”

ACS :: Oxygen Therapy
Available scientific evidence does not support creationism, but tell that to several billion believers of the otherwise. Also....

There have also been reports of patient deaths...,.several hundred million at the last count.... after all manner of 'approved' health treatments.

For example, an aged neighbour of mine went into hospital (NZ argues having some of the best hospitals in the world) to have his prostate treated. He died as a direct result of the 'approved' treatement. Had the old bloke simply stayed at home and got the local alt-health doc to fill him full of ozone he would not have been doped up to the eyeballs with sedatives and thus incapable of realising the railing ahead of him was, in fact the final barrier between he and a four-storey drop to the ground below.

Damned dangerous stuff, these 'approved' therapies.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Ozone is a gas. Was Honey a balloon?
Geez, as a result of the cancerous spleen rupture bleeding into her main internal cavity she started to look like one. Amazingly, after the treatment she deflated by 90% plus in the first 48 hours. And unlike humans, the chances of Honey's bodily response being placebo seems a little unlikely.

Ozone is a double-oxygen molecule which can be suspended in liquid....like peroxide, ice-cubes, alcohol, and submarines (to name but a few) are suspended in liquid.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:21   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Have a friend in Jax who was diagnosed with mesothelioma years ago. Drs first recommendation to remove one of his lungs. He declined and after researching did his own home treatment with Hp. The ACS gave him a 3.5% chance of making it 5 yrs WITH standard treatment. He's beat the 5 year mark and is finishing up construction of his Bruce Robertson design 50 something footer. Home treatments are scoffed at by the AMA. There's no money in it for them.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:28   #11

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
He died as a direct result of the 'approved' treatement.

Here is an example of the danger of misinterpreting statistics

Drink causes 10% of all road deaths
Not drinking causes 90% of all road deaths

Therefore, - its safer to drink and drive.

Erm, NO.

Had your buddy had a twin brother to use in a double blind trial, we might review the outcome differently.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:30   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As DOJ stated - first class medical care is available world-wide. However, there is a two-tier system with public clinics and hospitals taking care of the masses and private doctors and hospitals taking care of the affluent few.
- - For most all "ordinary" medical needs the local medical establishments are just as good as anywhere in the world and sometimes better as they are quite familiar with the "local" varieties of medical conditions/diseases. I have been in places and gotten "local" conditions that I would have died from if I had been "med-i-vac'ed" back to the States. Only the locals know and have the "not approved" medicines that can knock out some of these local bugs.
- - Where the major difference comes in play is when you have a condition/disease that is not common to the local area of the world where you are located. If it is a condition/disease that the local population does not experience, the local medical facilities have no need or interest in investing in equipment/training to deal with it. Their budgets are also limited. It is common for the Prime Ministers and other wealthy "higher-ups" in the Caribbean to leave their "home country" and fly to Cuba for "advanced" medical care.
- - So for North American/European cruisers I would suggest that it is critical to your survival that you have adequate med-i-vac insurance or the resources to get your butt back "home" if something "out of the ordinary" mainstream of local medicines grabs you.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:30   #13

Boat: 1981 Com-Pac 23
I tend to stay away from therapies that involve long rubber tubes being shoved up my backside. I am a physician, and while I have my own feelings on many of these "alternative" therapies, I will leave it up to you to choose the type of medical care you prefer. I would like to say however, that many of these alternative therapies are not without risk. I often see patients with side effects from herbal suppliments and other alternative therapies. Unlike with traditional medicines, people who make/sell herbal or alternative medicines are not required to disclose side effects or regulate concentrations of their products. Additionally most of the information about these therapies is purely anecdotal and not based on any actual studies. I am not saying that there isn't a use for alternative therapies, but if they all worked as good as they claim then I would be out of a job.

In regards to the original question, I do carry hydrogen peroxide in my bag, but only to clean out wounds. You don't have to be that "well connected" to get antibiotics and pain medications. I personally wouldn't mind putting together a small medication kit for my patients if they were going to be sailing in fairly remote places. You should ask your doctor, as many would probably be willing to help you out. Also, antibiotics and pain meds are often available without a perscription in Central & South America, as well as some of the Caribbean. I do agree with the above post, that medical evacuation insurance is a must! It is relatively cheap and can be potentially lifesaving. I have seen the hospitals in many developing nations, and they are not the place I would want to be in a real emergency.
BlueWaterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 04:13   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Ozone is a double-oxygen molecule which can be suspended in liquid....like peroxide, ice-cubes, alcohol, and submarines (to name but a few) are suspended in liquid.
Actually, ozone is O3 - a triple-oxygen. While it is soluble in some liquids, those liquids tend to be the type you would not want up your bum. I don't know of a method of suspending ozone in solution.

But just for argument, let's say it was suspended or dissolved in a solution amenable to being put up one's bum. Ozone is unstable with a very short half-life. It would turn into ordinary stable oxygen within minutes - most likely it would be converted to oxygen between the time the solution was prepared and when it was administered. And you have the problem that ozone in concentration is volatile and can explode - without an ignition source. Most concerning, though, is that ozone destroys organic matter quite readily.

I'm not arguing the result of Honey's treatment, but unless gas was blown up her bum, that treatment was certainly not ozone - although it might have been sold to you with that term.

EDIT: Immediately upon posting this, I realized that ozone could be dissolved in an oil like canola, etc (I'm a chemist, and when I think of non-polar solvents the first ones that come to mind are ones you wouldn't want up your bum). I still don't know of a method for suspension. However, even dissolved in cooking oil, the rest of ozone's properties I mentioned are valid.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 05:04   #15

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Miss diagnosis

Miss diagnosis...maybe the original vets assesment was off. I personally feel that all doctors are comparable to auto mechanics in the sense that sometimes you get a good one and they nail the problem right off and fix it. At other times complexeties arise and even as the best mechanics sometimes throw up thier hands in surrender, docs and vets are not God. Sooooo while hydrogen peroxide can be helpful, you would never drink it. Good for the first aid kit, so is a bit of amonia for bee or wasp stings.
You hear similar things about vinegar, whey or Vitamin B....add to these the idea of human imperfection and you arrive at the starting point. Don't mean to sound negative but...
Hey, the glass is half full!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health