Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2010, 07:40   #61

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
The heading of the thread that you opened was sailing related, .
Actaully the original topic of this thread is very interesting and I wish there was more pertanent information on resources and specifics having to do with health and sick care of crew (even dogs) and supplies that should be included. I mentioned a book that I believe is pertanent and a few more were mentioned. Being in the proffession it seems that many here might have some helpful resources to add. Others probably have direct cruising experience with the topic. Any recomendations anyone?
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 12:55   #62

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Sailing/cruising - related to health - medicines, have pre-arranged access to your necessary med's or if possible bring a year's supply with you. Transportation of med's is very iffy, expensive and a few times simply will never arrive.
- - I visited my doctor and dentist before leaving and they gave me advice on legal substitutes for abating medical problems until you can get to an adequate medical facility. And also they gave prescriptions for antibiotics and other medicine to take with me in case of problems. It is well worth the effort to have such things onboard while you are anchored in some idyllic bay and suffer an accident.
- - Take medical - electronic - diagnostic equipment with you. It is extremely in-expensive in your home country while either not available or triple priced in other countries. Simple stuff you keep in the home bathroom medical cabinet should also be on board your boat. Specialized medical bandages and dressings are simply not available in most 3rd world countries.
- - That is why the Hesperian books are so important. Life can be very miserable or fatal without the knowledge of substitutes in places where medical facilities are non-existent or inadequate.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health