Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 07:18   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Maybe this is what they shoved up Honeys bum. Maybe it will be shoved up a bum near you in the future!

Quote:
Oscar the beagle has good reason to be wagging his tail harder than ever these days.
He was about to be put down before a breakthrough Queensland cancer drug cured him of a lethal facial tumour.
And it won't be long before the drug, EBC-46, is trialled on humans.

It has been used successfully to treat cancer tumours in 150 pet dogs, cats, horses and even a ferret.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/pet-cancer-drug-goes-to-human-trials-20100613-y5ny.html

And please, no sick jokes about the ferret, Mr Greer...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 08:13   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
While oxygen is of course essential to life, more is not necessarily better. Oxygen oxidizes. Rapid oxidation is burning. A commonly seen example of slow oxidation is rust, iron oxide.

I do some serious diving and use pure oxygen for decompression. It dramatically increases the rate that inert gases are removed from your body but breathing it over too long a period causes injury to the lungs, essentially burns them. There are medical conditions where additional oxygen is essential but routine, long term use of higher oxygen is not generally healthy.

As has been pointed out, ozone (O3) is highly unstable and in most situations will break down into plain oxygen (O2). If you did manage to get ozone into your system before it breaks down and without it blowing up it is an irritant to your body. Peroxide ie hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in pure form is rocket fuel, in the diluted solutions available to consumers it is corrosive to skin, mucous membranes, etc.

There are alternative health care options that are useful and safe but there is way too much bad information out there. Plenty of stuff that either does nothing or can actually be harmful or dangerous. Don't try something just because you got an email from a cousin that was a janitor in a doctor's office.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 12:35   #18

The only use I've ever seen for hydrogen peroxide, medicinally, is in washing out wounds and inducing vomiting. I don't use it for the first, because it also is destructive to the tissue you want to keep, not to mention SO painful. There are other, better, options.
The second I have only done once, when our dog ate some mothballs. On vet's recommendation, held her down, poured a tablespoon or so down her throat and then spent the rest of the evening cleaning the kitchen floor. She did NOT like it; made her crazy sick, everywhere, but it got the mothballs out, and she had no lasting ill effects. As poisonous as mothballs are, this was the lesser of 2 evils.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 12:52   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
HP is used to bleach hair and the activator in fibre glass. It burns skin tissue and has been used by terrorists to make bombs.

Maybe Margo (Flysci) can explain your findings if and when she reads this. Untill then, step away from the bottle. Do not swallow, do not induce vomiting and call a physician.

Actually polyester resin is catalyzed by MEKP (Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide) not at all the same thing as hydrogen peroxide (that I'll gladly put in my mouth in dilute amounts for a gargle!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 00:54   #20

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Poor Little Honey

I think I mentioned that Honey has cancer in her spleen, an enlarged heart and a heart murmur, the latter making an op not an option because she wouldn't survive the trauma.

So I'm chucking all I can at the prob, prior to consigning her to the grave...an act which will rip me up more than I can even begin to describe.

And so alt-health seems the only option; hence the ozone, etc treatments.

For the last two days the poor wee thing has been issuing liquid poop. Called the alt-health man. "Give her some activated charcoal." I did. An hour later the dribbling stopped. I spoke again with alt man today, during another session of ozone treatment for honey. Guess what? He's a long-time, blue water sailor.

'If,' said he, 'in your medical kit, you don't have any activated carbon, then simply burn some matches, let them burn right down till you have several sticks of black. Chew them, and you'll discover a very quick relief from the shits.'

Correction here. During the first ozone treatment I simply presumed he was putting an ozone solution up Honey's bum. I mentioned, today, about how one contributor asserted ozone could not be dissolved in water. I expected him to tell me the how. Wrong. Although it can, it releases within minutes.

So I stand corrected on that issue.

Next Peroxide. I mentioned some of your comments on this issue. 'Bah, humbug,' was his reponse. 'On a pefectly healthy person HP has no effect. But on a body which is infected with any of a vast range of toxic things, HP can work wonders.'

I must say that this opinion is concordant with my experience. I've been doing ten drops of HP in water for the last few days, plus a few 6% ear drops and noticed no signs of any changes. Mind you, I am in an almost disgusting state of good health for my age and the fact that I smoke and drink buckets of red wine. :--))

But Idecided to give the process a whirl, just to see what was what.

Alt health went on to explain how our first line of internal defences are macrophages.....which don't, BTW, come out waving teenage ninja turtle sabres to beat back the badies....... In fact they produce hydrogen peroxide in an effort to oxygenate anaerobic bugs to death.

My next big task is to find a way of getting some iron down Honey's throat. She's so anaemic she's almost copper.
dpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 01:09   #21

Couldn't Help Myself

Attached. My zero point for anthropormophism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cityshots 013.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	17051  
Old 15-06-2010, 04:21   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Thats a very pretty puppy! I hope she is going to be ok

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 05:03   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
I think I mentioned that Honey has cancer in her spleen, an enlarged heart and a heart murmur, the latter making an op not an option because she wouldn't survive the trauma.

So I'm chucking all I can at the prob, prior to consigning her to the grave
So the new age quackery you were sold didn't work?

I only ask because your original post did at least imply a cure........

BTW have you tried casting any spells?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 05:05   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats a very pretty puppy! I hope she is going to be ok

Mark

I'm no Doctor, but:-

Quote:
Honey has cancer in her spleen, an enlarged heart and a heart murmur, the latter making an op not an option because she wouldn't survive the trauma.
Rather suggests not.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 00:37   #25

Quakery

There's a lot to be said for quakery. After all, it's kept Duckeries in contact for a v
very long time.
Old 16-06-2010, 00:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
There's a lot to be said for quakery. After all, it's kept Duckeries in contact for a v
very long time.
I guess that when the options are limited, then any option short of the 'final' option is worth a shot.

Update. Honey got some more ozone gas blown up her bum yesterday. We got home and all she wanted to do was sleep, till about 2345. I'd just gone to bed then heard the clicking of dog-nails on the wooden floor. I groaned. Got out of expecting the worst....and there's Honey, dancing around doing her usual, 'So are we going for a walk or what?' routine.

Last night and this morning I stuffed her full of iron, VB, and some more charcole. During the day she ate...which was really cool. Did some good poops, ran around like a puppy....well, MOL given the circumstances...then ate some more.

I checked her gums tonight and was rewarded with seeing a distinct increase in pinkness. That means her iron levels are picking up. The swelling of her body cavity has reduced significantly. She ate a decent meal tonight....albeit with me feeding her, bit by bit.

But all in all, she seems to be on the uptake.

If this is the result of quakery, then more power to the quakes. The vet was all for putting her down.
Old 16-06-2010, 05:15   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Actually there is a lot to be said for "folk medicine," etc. Modern treatments, more times than not, are derived from some of these "weird" alternate medicine or the stuff that guy does with his feathers waving his rattle and dispensing stuff from his bags of herbs.
- - We just finished watching a National Geographic video about the 10 deadliest critters in Central America and included the 6 deadly snakes. The next day a post on one of the health/medicine websites described that the venon from each of the snakes is now being used as important medicine to treat different heart and other conditions.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 06:11   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
When Folk (alternative, traditional, natural, etc) Medicine works, it's called medicine.

if something has been around for a long time, and is still considered “alternative”, it's almost certainly because it's worthless.

How to distinguish between rational use (true herbalism or pharmacognosy*) and irrational use (paraherbalism, pseudoscience or quackery) of natural, alternative, traditional, or herbal medical treatments:

Watch out for buss words used to describe medical treatments such as:
* “natural”
* "secret or secret formula"
* "proven"
* "miracle"
* "foreign"
* "breakthrough"
* "works overnight"
* "guaranteed to work"

See also:
False Tenets of Paraherbalism
False Tenets of Paraherbalism

* Pharmacognosy is the science of medicines from natural sources.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 07:11   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Sorry you are facing the loss of Honey, she looks like a wonderful dog. I hope you have more precious moments before it is time for her to go. Many holistic medicines work really well but I always check with my doctor friends before taking anything, sometimes there is a valid reason some holistic cures where pushed aside for a modern remedy.

I feel the need to defend doctors - I am nurse and I work with many doctors in a big busy hospital. I guarantee you if my doctors thought they could cure or even improve the health of their patients they would (and do) go the extra mile. I also see them spend overtime and late nights caring for patients with no insurance (unlike at a charity hospital, my docs get zero reimbursement). I have seen a doctor miss his kids big soccer game to care for a homeless person, work on Christmas eve, and field many late night calls from wives/husbands wanting to know when they will be home. When you look at TV for your idea of doctors, you tend to miss the mark. I work with about a hundred plus surgeons and I can say that only 2-4 of them look at patients as money machines, that is pretty good. Whew, sorry for the thread drift.

Get well Honey!
Erika
Old 16-06-2010, 13:26   #30
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
There are drs out there who's practice is not averse to herbalism and alternate therapies. I was in the Drs office for a sinus infection and was told often a nettie pot could avert the annual sinusitis and infection. An ENT told me years ago that to avoid ear infections which are so prevalant in humid tropical climates, at the first itchiness or pain pour clear cider vinegar in ear followed by rubbing alcohol. Has stopped a chronic problem for me. A tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water daily stopped wifes chronic reflux for which she was prescribed prilosec and a host of other drugs which didn't help. My IBS flareups are managed now with podophyllum which works like nothing else I've tried. I have nothing against Drs. There isn't a more noble profession on the planet, but they just aren't taught apothecary skills in medical school who's ciriculum is written by the AMA who is strongly tied to big pharma. Most of their drugs are derived from natural sources and changed a molecule or two that makes them eligable for a patent. And with the patent they set the price.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health