Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 20:46   #16

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Re: Pensacola to Corpus Christi Aug/Sept

"Your 1st boat purchased last week" take the ICW you are a lot closer to safety if things go wrong. Days are long this time of year you can probably get 14 hours a day in.
I have made this trip from Bayou Chico to Clear lake 3 times only open water is Mobile bay. Not a lot of fuel once you pass New Orleans but you can figure that out. Do a search on here I posted bridge and lock info before.
Best of luck with the New Boat.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 20:52   #17

Lots of good advice given here. You are new to this boat, new to sailing, short handed for this kind of 24 hour a day trip for days on end (just two of you), and going in hurricane season.

Err on the side of caution. Stay close to shore, use the ICW. Stop and rest, refuel and have FUN.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 21:27   #18

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

With just the one experienced sailor and a boat and sea you don't know that well (true?), caution does seem to be the order of the day. Have you had a chance for a real shakedown cruise yet, or will you before you depart on your relocation trip? Some areas to check might be cleanliness of fuel tank inside, age of running rigging, solidness of steering, robustness of communications.
Old 17-07-2015, 08:09   #19

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Well, Crap! Consensus seems to be Newbies shouldn't be floating in the Gulf during the high hurricane season on a boat they know nothing about with zero sailing experience. My gut says I should probably listen, my heart says F it and go for it. I'll talk with my crewman Rodger and see what he advises too. The boat is truly seaworthy and will surely handle almost anything Neptune sends my way. I on the other hand could and probably would do something in my ignorance and wind up wrapped around an oil rig or upside down. Thanks for the info.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:47   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Well, Crap! Consensus seems to be Newbies shouldn't be floating in the Gulf during the high hurricane season on a boat they know nothing about with zero sailing experience. My gut says I should probably listen, my heart says F it and go for it. I'll talk with my crewman Rodger and see what he advises too. The boat is truly seaworthy and will surely handle almost anything Neptune sends my way. I on the other hand could and probably would do something in my ignorance and wind up wrapped around an oil rig or upside down. Thanks for the info.

Not from me. I say don't hold the trip due to the season, just keep a very close eye on the weather and be ready.

Lots of people say you should take your boat north during hurricane season. However I seem to notice 99.9% of the Florida residents just stay here and cheat death year after year. Then I have friends in New England that had to dodge Sandy and a couple of other hurricanes that missed FL and the Gulf of Mexico altogether.

I do agree that you should do a couple of shakedowns before taking off. Boat may be in great shape but at the very least you need to get some experience on it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:41   #21

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

With a third crew with ocean experience, fuel systems, rigging, and through hulls gone over expertly, time for a couple of shakedowns, and maybe a month's delay, it could be a nice trip, and fun.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 15:02   #22

Ahoy... Lots of good advice... 8 Days is very doable with 3-4 crew on board... I have made the trip across the Gulf 3 times... East to West, Twice and West To East, Once... All three times during hurricane season.. If you need additional experienced crew... Give me a shout.... Will Sail For Air Fare.....
Shipisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 21:13   #23

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Awlrighty then, all the thru hulls are in perfect condition. The guy I bought the boat from is pretty anal about everything and maintenances the boat himself, has a regular mechanic perform regular maintenance and pays someone to scrub and clean the hull every 6 weeks. You guys are gonna salivate over how nice this boat is. He even had the diesel tanks and fuel "polished" to ensure there was no crud or impurities in the tank and fuel. The Admiral had all new curtains installed, brand new covers on all the cushions and a brand new Bimini made.
I think all need to do is figure out how the terlit works
Seriously though, I found a few items that need tweaking, tightening and calibrating. I plan on spending 2-3 days getting ready to go and if all goes well, we're pushing off on 25 Aug. If the weather holds, we're going through the Gulf. I'd hate for my first voyage to be down the ICW. I plan to meet Neptune beat up, scarred up and completely wore out, and that ain't happen'n on the ICW. She's a sailboat, not a motorboat with sails.
Attached Files
Old 22-07-2015, 03:53   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The boat is beautiful. You are indeed lucky to find one in such good condition.

One suggestion. Have you inspected the rigging under the plastic covers on the wire? Long term I would get rid of those as they hold moisture inside, can promote corrosion (yes even on stainless , look up crevice corrosion) and hides what's happening with the wire.

Have a great trip. Hope it isn't as hot around there as it is around here.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 05:08   #25

I did inspect the riggings. Sliding the plastic covers up and out of the way and found them to be clear of corrosion. I ran my hand up and down all of them feeling for fish hooks and found none. I inspected all the attachment points and found them also to be free of corrosion and the mounting plates to be secure as well.
The only places I found anything was in the engine compartment. The quadrant, cables and pulleys need some work and maintenance.
I appreciate all the feedback. Now I need to figure out how to read charts
so I can plan my route.
Old 22-07-2015, 05:47   #26

Boat: Slocum 43

SSGT... you're good to go and cleared for take off...

Good attitude, you're checking out the boat, etc.

Have a great trip.. you'll enjoy it. Let us know how it goes when you arrive.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:25   #27

Gentlemen, it's been almost a year. I thought i'd posted an update but apparently it didn't make it.
We shoved off on the 25th as planned to beautiful blue skys and light winds. We all popped a beer to celebrate.
Once it got dark the wind and waves picked up significantly and we rocked and rolled all night. I was on the midnight to 4am watch. The main boom gybing back and forth so hard the car threw up sparks a few times until we lasso'd it down and tied it off.
The greatest part....a full moon, seas forever, the bimini folded back and me all alone steering the boat on my first passage. I am so F'g hooked!
The rest of the trip was spent dodging oil rigs both super huge to a small wood platform and DEAD calm waters. So calm that flies on the floating seaweed were landing and biting us. I got a cool video though of the bow slicing through glassy waters.
We're now safely docked in Corpus Christi Marina. We make it down every 4 - 6 weeks and are currently updating, upgrading and repairing so we can leave full time. Hopefully we'll shove off in 2017.
Thanks for all the advice. It was a life changing trip.
Old 19-07-2016, 21:46   #28

Thanks for the report!
Old 21-07-2016, 12:35   #29

Boat: TBD

Congrats. What's with the SSgt? AF?

Good luck.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 12:40   #30

Boat: TBD

Just realized this was an old post. Oops