Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 06:58   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Pensacola Florida to Port Charlotte Harbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
I'm wondering if those who advocate and choose the in-furling main mast option are saying to themselves while reading this post: "..that's another good example of why I love that in-furling main!".
I'm considering one on my upcoming 40' purchase because of these types of events. Whatever I can do to keep my wife enjoying sailing and feeling safe will afford me (us) many more years of sailing and to farther destinations.
The same advice of reefing early applies to furling mains too...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 07:16   #17

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Burnt Store marina is an awesome marina so what are y'all going to do now

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It is large, 525 slips...only two showers though, can get to be just a wee bit busy.......

When we return to Moorahme, we will head south to the Keys, probably an overnight anchor along the way somewhere, haven't looked ahead that far yet...then a day or two to view the circus in Key West,, then up to Marathon for a day or two to visit friends already there, and then up to Rodriguez Key, and across to the Bahamas for the winter....well, until the end of March at least. Where in the Bahamas? Don't know, my event planner has all that under control
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 07:16   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
The same advice of reefing early applies to furling mains too...
You're absolutely right. I agree.
However, knowing that if my wife were seasick and at 3 a.m. in 35 knot wind and 8' waves, it would be nice to reef in the main from in-furl at the cockpit. It is those events that might take someone (like my wife) from "I love sailing...let's take now sail it to Key West or BVI" to "I hate sailing and I won't do another overnight trip like that again".
For me...I actually like those challenges and hairy situations. My wife...not so much.
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 07:19   #19

Quote:
I'm wondering if those who advocate and choose the in-furling main mast option are saying to themselves while reading this post: "..that's another good example of why I love that in-furling main!".
I'm considering one on my upcoming 40' purchase because of these types of events. Whatever I can do to keep my wife enjoying sailing and feeling safe will afford me (us) many more years of sailing and to farther destinations.
We have in-boom furling on Moorahme, but we don't have the lines led back to the cockpit...yet. Something we have to work on, and plan to do. We purchased her in August, and thought we would try her with the sail plan as is first, and see how it went. We had our first taste on why the lines should be all led to the cockpit on this last passage.

All the lines were led to the cockpit on our Bayfield 29 cutter, and we know the benefits of having them there. Geesh, if I had 20k or so I'd order the built in electric winch on the boom....
Old 17-12-2014, 07:23   #20

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I agree.
However, knowing that if my wife were seasick and at 3 a.m. in 35 knot wind and 8' waves, it would be nice to reef in the main from in-furl at the cockpit. It is those events that might take someone (like my wife) from "I love sailing...let's take now sail it to Key West or BVI" to "I hate sailing and I won't do another overnight trip like that again".
For me...I actually like those challenges and hairy situations. My wife...not so much.
I'm with you! I enjoyed the reefing challenge that night, but Beth not so much....in fact she tells me she was terrified. I am really hoping that as we gain additional sailing experience on this big 47 foot bluewater cruiser, that she will become more comfortable and realize that it just isn't a 29 foot Bayfield she is on. With a little time I think that this will happen.

gunk
Old 23-12-2014, 07:45   #21

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
The task at hand now is to nurture Beth's sailing skills and desires. She was quite scared when I was on deck at the mast reefing, worried that if I fell over, even though tied on, that there was nothing she could do. Convincing her to run full sails the next day in 12 to 15 knot winds did not happen, she was scared that we would encounter heavier winds once again. With time, and her gaining confidence in the boat, I am hoping that this will happen. If not, I will sell the boat, I am not sailing at half sail the rest of my sailing life.
I know you won't be saleing Moorehame but it you do- you know where we live!

So wish I could have gone with you two- we miss you desperately down here- Aaron thinks you should return soon as we are planning a crab boil and oyster grill over the holidays- Cracken will be well used
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 07:51   #22

Hey!

Don't tell me you have a day off? That can't be

Beth's rattled nerves seem to have recovered somewhat, some in depth chats with other sailors, including the brother in law...have helped immensely. Good thing!

I can't see us selling Moorahme just yet..... heck, there is always, as a last resort, the availability of plane tickets to distant shores, I seem to have a ton of friends who are ready, willing and able to travel on the boat....hey, you happen to know any?

We miss you and Aaron as well, and the rest of the gang down there...I can taste the flaming oysters as I type dang it!

Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend! We'll be sailing together soon...so long as you and the big guy can get the time off to join us!

gunk

Copious amounts of Kraken I'm thinking....and some PBR 5.9's, a few Yuengling......
Old 23-12-2014, 09:44   #23

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

1) I don't see any need for a third jack line. I run my port side jack line from the port side of the cockpit around the starboard side of the mast back to the port side of the bow, and I keep it taut. I use the opposite routing for the opposite side. This keeps me close to the center of the boat and makes it very secure while working at the mast.
I also use two tethers on my harness, one longer than the other so as to deal with different situations.

2) I always reef the main first since it's so easy to reduce the jib using the furler.
With a seasick wife who fears for my safety I recommend reefing at sunset, not waiting for the wind to pickup. It won't make your trip that much longer, but it might make your marriage last longer lol.

Enjoy the new boat, maybe see you in the Bahamas this year.
Old 29-12-2014, 10:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Hey!

Don't tell me you have a day off? That can't be

Beth's rattled nerves seem to have recovered somewhat, some in depth chats with other sailors, including the brother in law...have helped immensely. Good thing!

I can't see us selling Moorahme just yet..... heck, there is always, as a last resort, the availability of plane tickets to distant shores, I seem to have a ton of friends who are ready, willing and able to travel on the boat....hey, you happen to know any?

We miss you and Aaron as well, and the rest of the gang down there...I can taste the flaming oysters as I type dang it!

Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend! We'll be sailing together soon...so long as you and the big guy can get the time off to join us!

gunk

Copious amounts of Kraken I'm thinking....and some PBR 5.9's, a few Yuengling......
I hope you and Beth had a wonderful Christmas up in the great white north- and hope you are safely headed back down to the fun and sun. been drizzly here but hot and humid for the most part- I'll take that over the white stuff any day.
Let me know when you guys are headed south, if you need a hand I'll be happy to jump on board
Old 29-12-2014, 15:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I hope you and Beth had a wonderful Christmas up in the great white north- and hope you are safely headed back down to the fun and sun. been drizzly here but hot and humid for the most part- I'll take that over the white stuff any day.
Let me know when you guys are headed south, if you need a hand I'll be happy to jump on board
We are back! Great trip here, etxcept for stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic from Lake City all the way to Port Charlotte!

Hot, humid, re-installed the bimini which came back today....life is good, but missing those awesome meals in Daphne!

We'll keep you in the loop when we get moving again, probably the 4th or 5th!

gunk
Old 06-01-2015, 08:36   #26

Have you headed out infront of the cold headed our way?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:54   #27

Just waiting for the tide to come in enough for us to get out....another half hour maybe.....so much for the early start<grin>

All is well, boat provisioned and ready to go.....wish you and you know who were with us!

gunk
Old 13-01-2015, 11:33   #28

So where are you now? I guess you're in the keys preparing the boat to head further south....It gets much colder here and I maybe in the Bahamas waiting on you.
Old 15-01-2015, 09:23   #29

Marathon. Boot Key Harbour, had to wait for low tide to get in.

We'll be looking for ya in the Bahamas then<grin> Here for a couple of weeks, a tad more to do on the boat, wi-fi extender, stuff like that, nothing major, although had to change out the generator water impellor yesterday......

Stay warm, and sure hope you're feeling better!

gunk

Tags
florida, pensacola