Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 15:51   #1

Boat: Leopard 47 Catamaran
Passenger / Crew Pickup USVI

Any suggestions on the best way to pick up or drop off passengers and crew at STT airport in the USVI.

Anchor out, dinghy in, dock or what?

Thanks.
jim767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 05:52   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Passenger / Crew Pickup USVI

I always took a slip in Crown Bay marina at the sub base, or even American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook and had them catch a taxi. We had to do some provisioning, so the marina made it easy to do that. Crown Bay is only 10 minutes by taxi. Red Hook is a much longer trip.

I've wondered if it would be possible to anchor in Lindburgh Bay and use the dock at the resort that's located right across from the airport parking lot. It would be an easy walk for your guests, if the resort was OK with that. You can see the dock in Google Earth.
Old 29-01-2012, 06:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I always took a slip in Crown Bay marina at the sub base, or even American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook and had them catch a taxi. We had to do some provisioning, so the marina made it easy to do that. Crown Bay is only 10 minutes by taxi. Red Hook is a much longer trip.

I've wondered if it would be possible to anchor in Lindburgh Bay and use the dock at the resort that's located right across from the airport parking lot. It would be an easy walk for your guests, if the resort was OK with that. You can see the dock in Google Earth.
I anchored there and did just that very thing once.... didn't ask though, just did it! BTW on the side of the resort facing the bay is all sand beach, so even if you don't use the dock, a clandestine landing would not be difficult. That said, I bet the walk is nearly a mile (although only a couple hundred yards as the crow flies)... a lot to walk if there is any amount of luggage!

Perhaps a quick landing on the seawall in Charlotte Amalie and hire a taxi?
Old 29-01-2012, 07:01   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I would pull into Crowne Bay to top off with water/fuel at the fuel dock and send my guests on their way from there. A short walk down the dock. Nearly always taxis there. Short ride to the airport.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 07:02   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

For a quick landing, I think I'd go to Crown Bay marina--much closer than Charlotte Amalie. Have the crew there and ready to go if picking them up. The marina has a small charge for brief docking at a T-head to drop or pick up guests, unless you're buying fuel, then it's free at the fuel dock.
Old 29-01-2012, 07:11   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The main Charlotte Amalie harbor is a fine anchorage for both brief and longer time periods. Then dinghy to the seawall inside at the Coast Guard station where all the other dinghies are tied up. A taxi is about US$10 to the airport and if you have the time and are really cheap, the jitney buses go there for a lot less. There are major taxi waiting areas just across the street from the downtown seawall. Plus a major last minute T-shirt bazaar across from the dinghy seawall. (And free trash bins).

Lindbergh Bay is popular with extreme minimalist budget cruisers but it is a walk to the terminal and finding a secure spot to lock your dinghy so it is not stolen is tricky. And you save what? $10 taxi fare if you anchor in Charlotte Amalie/Long Bay.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 12:25   #7

Boat: Leopard 47 Catamaran

Thanks to all. At least I have a couple of good ideas now.
jim767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew