Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 17:26   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Panama to Florida routing

Asking for a buddy boat:

What is the passage from Panama to Florida like April-June?

It's never been a route we've considered, but from the research I've done on the topic, the major points are:
- Keep well off the coast of Nicaragua and Honduras
- Make a stop at Isla Mujeres to wait for favorable weather
- Watch out for Northerlies/fronts, or any winds counter to the current
- Depart Mexico when the winds are from the S/SW and bending towards Flroida
- Check-in in Marathon

Looking at the current weather for this route, it looks like a very easy passage, with quite small seas compared to a lot of other passages in the Caribbean. But the threads I've read on the topic seem to paint it as being miserable.

For people who've made this passage, what are your experiences and suggestions?

They are a small boat, too, so 5kts is good progress for them.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 19:57   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama to Florida routing

Thats the typical route, but by April - June wind shifts to jump from Isla are much less common because cold front season is well over. Making for Marathon will be especially tough because that puts them right down the Florida Straits and very high probability of easterly winds.

I suggest angling a bit more NE, this gives them a better angle on the highly likely E to SE winds. They can choose several ports of call on FL W coast from Ft Myers to Tampa Bay depending on forecast.

What is their nationality? Some get hassled disproportionately in some USA ports of entry (like Ft Myers). If they are USA this provides more landfall flexibilty.

How long do they want the legs of this trip to be? For example, you can do the entire run from Panama to Isla in one leg, or make some stops.

Where do they plan to start from in Panama?

Some other considerations:

Seasonal Trade Winds. Trade Winds fill in in E Panana from about Jan thru April then start to lay down. By June they are gone, and all of the Carib coast of Panama has mostly light and variable winds. Due to these seasonal Trades its best to start early as possible in their window (April) and as far East as possible. They should start at least as far East as Colon, San Blas even better.

The area S of 11N and W of 81W (waters adjacent to Bocas del Toro) almost always has light and variable winds. Its a long motor/motor sail to anywhere from Bocas any time of year. The seasonal Trades do not fill in this far West.

Colombian Low. Usually its not a problem in April-June, but the weather associated with the Colombian Low can expand dramatically Westward, sometimes expanding as far West as Providencia. This brings bigger winds and seas.

Currents. The mighty Yucatan current is favorable for this run, but after it squeezes between Cuba and the Yucatan it splits into the Florida Current and the Gulf Loop Current. The Gulf Loop is highly variable in speed and route and can be both a blessing and a curse when leaving Isla. They need to get up to date Gulf Loop current information before departing Isla.

Images of regional currents and Pilot Chart snippet for April attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181223-071002_Windy.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	189615Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190407-215123_Xodo%20Docs.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	189616
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 20:17   #3

I don't like to give away easting, so I don't head for Isla, I head for Cabo San Antonio, the south tip of cuba and close haul through the Florida straits.

I once cleared Key west on one tack.....last year it took 6 or 7. Depends on the day.

That's heading Nth from the Bay Islands, so won't comment on the rest, nothing to add.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 20:54   #4

Shooting for Cabo San Antonio also avoids the Gulf Loop current, but of course you still have the Florida Current to deal with.

You could make Cabo San Antonio (or just off the coast there) from Panama then keep rolling for Florida...make the whole run in one leg.

It is possible to make Jamaica from Panama then the Windward Passage then Florida, but less likely with no cold fronts to provide favorable wind shifts.
Old 07-04-2019, 21:02   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We're planning to sail from Panama to Port Canaveral in Florida this year, leaving end of April or May. We will sail straight north from Colon to Cienfuegos in Cuba, then cruise Cuba to Santiago de Cuba, then probably visit Jamaica, then shoot through the Windward Passage to Great Inagua Bahamas to clear in, then cruise the Exumas and Abacos before crossing to Port Canaveral
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 21:07   #6

Yeah, S Cuba would be another option. Ive yet to cruise the S coast of Cuba...so would be an appealling route to me! [emoji41]

But of course a Sundeer is likely to do much better to windward than a small mono (Im assuming its a small mono).

Ryban: what is their "small boat"?
Old 08-04-2019, 05:12   #7

They are US citizens. I don't know the exact make of the boat, but it's 29 feet with a similar long keel.

Very helpful info so far. We've been studying the pilot charts as well, and are trying to get a sense of what the currents have a tendency of doing.

The plan is to leave from Bocas, but they may be willing to do some initial easting towards Colon, first.

It seems that SE winds aren't uncommon that time if year from the pilot charts. If they are willing to make landfall further up the coast, then I could see an acceptable passage from Cancun being made by taking the current and wind North for 2-3 days before turning towards the coast. This could avoid issues with winds counter to the current.

I think they want to do the trip in two big hops, as they aren't so keen to linger too much late in the season.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:40   #8

Re currents: the Yucatan & Florida currents are pretty stable in path and velocity, only the Gulf Loop is highly variable (Ive encoutered it 160nm S of Mobile! But thats very unusual). There are weak near coastal counter currents off the Yucatan and Cuba, but these dont benfit you going N-bound. Note: it is common to refer to the Florida Current (which flows thru the Florida Straits) as the Gulf Stream, but thats not technically correct. The Gulf Stream proper doesnt start until the Florida Current exits the Florida Straits,

Re SE winds: Yes, in the NW Carib the probability of SE winds increases as you move into Summer months. It also increases in the SW Carib, but to a much lesser degree.

Re citizenship. Being USAs means they can drop in anywhere and not likely have undue hassle, unless of course they have been to Cuba. With this in mind I would just see what conditions are like when in Isla and choose a port of entry. They can even change their landfall in route and wont likely have any serious hassle (as long as they make for an official POE: KW, Ft Myers, Tampa/St Pete). There used to be a program that allowed USA citizens on a USA vessel to clear in by phone, not sure if there is such any more.

Weather: especially on that last leg from Isla to FL the weather can change quickly. Do they have any means aboard to receive weather updates under way? Having such can save them a lot of time & suffering slogging to a landfall that is no longer favorable due to a wind shift.
Old 08-04-2019, 18:46   #9

Neither of us know much about US entry formalities, but I'm sure it's something they'll research on their own prior to making the jump.

Regarding the weather, I've been studying the pilot charts and the how the current looks day-to-day to get a sense of what they should expect in June.

I think if I were doing the trip right now, with the current set up the way it is, and with winds out of the SE (pilot chart for June is overlaid below), then I would take either the white route or the red route.

I don't think they want to beat into the wind with the wind likely to be counter to the current, which would be necessary to make the Keys. The more northerly route might be a longer trip, but at least the wind is more likely to beam or aft, with current helping most of the way.

They can get weatherfax charts via their SSB receiver, and texts via their sat phone, but not much else.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:34   #10

Very unusual wind patterns over the area now. Would a good time to make the jump!

Name:	Screenshot_20190409-083201_Windy.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	189690
Old 09-04-2019, 06:35   #11

Text via satt phone is adequate for shore based weather routing support. The size limitations of SMS are inconvenient, but it works.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:55   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

We left Colon in early May. Sailed on a port tack to close to the San Blas islands. Then tacked and had a really nice sail all the way to the Caymans. Easy, free check in. Then had a mixed trip through the Yucatan Channel to Key West.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:52   #13

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You could make Cabo San Antonio (or just off the coast there) from Panama then keep rolling for Florida...make the whole run in one leg.
+1

Have done this route from Panama 3 times on 3 different boat deliveries. Pick a window and go. But this time of year, the sooner the better.

The smallest boat was 29 feet. (and a very wet ride)
Old 10-04-2019, 15:18   #14

Aside from running into a front sweeping across the gulf, what is it about the trip from the Yucatan Channel to the West coast of Florida that makes it such a mixed bag, or in Sailfish's case, a wet ride?

Granted, many passages on boats our sized can be wet rides, and especially so if the wind is forward of the beam. So much, in fact, that we'd often rather change our destination, than spend much time trying to go to windward.

A bit of an aside, but what are good ports to make landfall along Florida's west coast?
Old 10-04-2019, 19:46   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Could have sailed straight into Bahamas through Windward Passage when leaving today...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0443.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	189872  
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, Panama