Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 20:19   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Packing Gland Leaks Like a Siv...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The OP wrote that the nut is all the way tight, and he still has the leak, so he needs to re-pack the box (and I'd use the PTFE, too, it worked great on our first "Insatiable"). Since the engine will be out, I'd remove the shaft and have a look, anyway, then decide what needs to be done. And replace the cutlass bearing, since the boat's out of the water now.
+1
Good advice
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 21:13   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I usually say "you can do it!". This time I think you need to have an expert
Look at your shaft packing when you pull the engine. This may just be a case of not enough packing since you said that tightening the nut had no effect. An expert will know how many rows of packing you should have installed and how tight the nut should be at the start. Or install dripless since you have no access to periodically tighten the packing nut.
Old 27-04-2014, 09:25   #18

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Perhaps but a "scored shaft is not going to be perfectly grooved so as to allow leak free operation with any kind of seal. It will be more like coarse threads. The end play of the transmission output shaft will see to that. As for packing type, one could argue that a flax packing is the best as it contains wax which melts into the groves in the shaft.
We also used hemp rope on tea clippers but have moved on since then . Flax gland packing is made up of woven fibers and depending upon brand/cost the fibers unravel over time, which is essentially why you keep tightening the gland nut as the fiber is expelled. PTFE can be extruded as a rope or twisted in layers
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 14:13   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you have a grooved shaft or if your gland has insufficient rope in it you can handle it with added packing. If it looks like my deeply pitted mess (photos above) you haven't a chance.

As to an expert to tell you the number of rows, If the nut bottoms out, you need more material. I add packing until I can barely start the nut.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, packing gland