Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 13:01   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Overcoming "Head" Trauma

LOL... pun intended!

So, we took our first charter in April, and we are chartering again in August, and I am having fear of the head. I'm totally type "A".. and when I am told to do something a specific way.. I do it THAT WAY!! every single time. Our charter company told us exactly how to use the head.. how many times to pump dry... how many pumps with water... When to pump out (mechanically or at a proper distance from land)

Well.. lets just say things didn't go well. We would use the facilities.. and use the proper procedure to clear the head.. (and proper disposal of paper in the trash) things would look good. Then 2-3 hours later, we would go to use the head again, and brown water would back up to the top of the toilet. NOT great when the boat is sailing and bouncing around.

So, I went and pulled out the manual to take a second look at the instructions, and we were doing it right. It got so bad that it even permanently stained the toilet seat. I scrubbed with bleach multiple times.. spent hours in total.. and couldn't remove the stains... (I'm so sorry, that is so gross).

Now we are chartering in August, and I'm terrified of using the head. What do I do if I have this problem again? Do I pump the head with nothing but air more?? or do I flush with water some more? HELP!!!!

scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 13:44   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Overcoming "Head" Trauma

The boat had a leaking joker valve allowing back flow. No “ procedures” will fix that, it a maintenance item.

More wet pumping will clear the line maybe depending on its length/volume, but of course the holding tank will then fill fast.
Old 10-07-2018, 13:56   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Yup, not your fault. Sounds like poor maintenance.

We have a family of five living on our boat with ONE head. In the last 30 months we have not had a single "head issue". We even flush paper and have since the beginning. However, I maintain the head often (lube every 10-14 days, muriatic acid every 30-40 days). A properly maintained Jabsco (or other manual head), will not have those issues.

It may sound crazy, but if you can confirm the type of head on the charter boat, you could bring a spare Joker Valve. I know its not really your job on a charter boat, but a working head will probably increase your quality of life 10 fold. Changing a joker valve is a 10 minute job on most heads. A Joker on Amazon can be bought for like $12.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 15:13   #4

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

It may sound crazy, but if you can confirm the type of head on the charter boat, you could bring a spare Joker Valve. I know its not really your job on a charter boat, but a working head will probably increase your quality of life 10 fold. Changing a joker valve is a 10 minute job on most heads. A Joker on Amazon can be bought for like $12.
I guess I just assumed it was our fault. the boat was a 2018 that was just new to the fleet after the hurricane. But, I guess it just goes to show you that even new boats have problems...

As for bring a spare joker valve.. I may do that. I believe our boat only has one head... and if that doesn't work properly... It will be a nightmare. Plus, changing one. (if I have to) would be good experience.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 15:25   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Have had boats for 10 years including full time living on the past 22 months and always flush the paper. That’s where it’s suppose to go.

Tags
head