Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 18:51   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Overboard: wife missing from Oryx

I can't imagine loosing my #1 or anyone OB. Under way, we always wear jackets with tethers no matter what the conditions or time of day. Lost the skipper on a boat I raced many years ago on a wild jibe. We recovered him promptly but it gave us all cause to ponder what it would mean to loose friends that way. It would ruin boating for me forever.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:09   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A fellow I know tells this story.....crossing the Atlantic, Westbound on a guys Amel, with the Owner, his son, my friend and two other crew.

Father and son are on watch, others were below, my friend happens to be by the companionway. He hears something and bolts up to the cockpit to see the Father drifting off astern. He screams and points to the Owner and keeps pointing while the other two come up and get her turned around.

They pick up the Father and Son.

It appears the Son went over the side for some reason, I don't know why. The Father saw him go and jumped in after him. When asked "Why?" He simply said ...

"I could not imagine facing my Wife without him."

I firmly believe that we all have fanticies about how we will react in time of crisis. Perhaps they help prepare us. Yet one never knows with certainty how one will behave until confronted with the situation.

Thus came the saying....."Ignorance IS bliss".
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 21:46   #33

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I lost a wife to cancer and know exactly what it feels like to lose someone you love. I feel so sad for this woman ....I feel so sad for this man.

Here is something that no one spoke about in this article....when your wife or husband go missing overboard there is always the suspicion of foul play. I am not inferring anything about the character of this man by this statement. But detectives are always taught that the person's closest to the missing are your most likely suspects.

This is a terrible thought and I am sure this man is up to his ears with grief and anger that this tragic thing occurred. Can not imagine dealing with the loss of his woman and people wondering what really happened.

Does anyone remember the name of the guy who lost his wife overboard in the western pacific quite a few years ago? Seemed like there was a lot of suspicion cast upon him.

What a terrible thing....
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 22:59   #34

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post

Does anyone remember the name of the guy who lost his wife overboard in the western pacific quite a few years ago? Seemed like there was a lot of suspicion cast upon him.

What a terrible thing....
Per Tangvald lost two of his seven wives at sea before being lost himself ( together with his daughter ).... his son was posted missing at sea earlier this year.
Old 25-06-2015, 05:14   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Per Tangvald lost two of his seven wives at sea before being lost himself ( together with his daughter ).... his son was posted missing at sea earlier this year.
Quite a family tradition.

As I recall there was a lot of suspicion cast upon Tangvald, but of course almost impossible to prove or disprove.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 06:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Per Tangvald was married seven times, and his fifth wife Lydia was shot by pirates February 20, 1979 .
His sixth wife Ann drowned when she fell overboard in 1984.
He died in 1991 with his daughter Carmen (nine years old) in the loss of the boat "L'Artemis the Pytheas".
His son, Thomas was reported missing at sea in 2014.
THOMAS TANGVALD: In His Father's Wake

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard