Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 10:33   #1

Outfitting a 22 foot trailer sailor

Hey all! I had posted in the help section during the summer, working on an old honda outboard and doing some fiberglass work in the anchor locker of my new to me Hunter 22 sailboat.

I spent the summer on it this year learning to sailing the Hudson River of NY. I absolutely fell further in love with sailing. Id like to spruce up the boat some and make it more usable for longer / weekend trips.

The boat has no electronics onboard aside from a 12v battery and all the required lights for a boat of this size, running lights, mast light, and some interiors.

I would like to equip this boat a little better as I plan on trailoring it upto the thousand islands area this summer for a few weeks on the boat. (Friends have a few cabins on one of the thousand islands so ill be docking with them over the few weeks)

Mechanically the boat is in fairly good shape right now.
I've replaced the bulkhead with new marine plywood.
I've got all my port hatches out for winter and plan on rebedding them all in the spring to seal the boat up.
I cleaned and lubed my winches after pulling it in the fall.
I have a new motor mount I'm going to install on the transom and plan on beefing it up with a sheet of marine ply on the interior and exterior about 2 inches extra around the edges of the motor mount to make a secure attachment point.

With all of that being finished the boat will in real good shape for the 2017 season.

I would like to ask for guidance/pointers for what type of gear I could outfit the boat with. I've been thinking a marine VHF and antenna on the mast spreader.

a handheld gps/plotter? (brands types?) Id like to do a few day loop in the 1k islands away from the island ill be staying on so having some form of navigation aside from charts might be a nice addition?

For the 1k trip I will install a small 40 watt solar panel I use at home and another deep cycle battery with a 1k Puresine inverter for my laptop charging/phone / other electric needs.

Autopilot? tiller tamer? (hows the energy needs for an autohelm on a smaller boat?)

While me outfitting a daysailor might be overkill, I think ill be keeping the boat a good while and it might be nice to have some ammenities/gear to make for more enjoyable weekend/week trips on the boat.

As for an engine now. I have two. The 7.5 Honda from 1983 which I got running again. and a new Merc 5hp sailpower. I have the 12v tied into the boat and get about 40 watts out while the engine is in gear going forward. Is it impractical to carry a 2nd outboard on a boat this size for a few day trip on the st Lawrence (1k islands) ? Or is that just overkill?

Id love to hear some feedback and thoughts. Cheers!

Dorsilfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 11:26   #2

Re: Outfitting a 22 foot trailer sailor

The best accessory we fitted to our 22 foot trailer yacht was a good boom tent.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 17:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
The best accessory we fitted to our 22 foot trailer yacht was a good boom tent.

Good thought. I was thinking about stringing up a 10x10 blue tarp over the boom while anchored out during the trip to make some shade / keep out of the rain. I've found even on my overnight trips having a place to stand up is a welcomed thing and if Im out on a few week adventure having some shelter might be nice.
Old 28-12-2016, 18:48   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

A small solar panel to run a 12v car cooler. And the cooler of course! You can get by without refugeration, but cold drinks are really nice!
Old 28-12-2016, 18:58   #5

For marine gps, if you have a smart phone. Navonics is great.

Your solar that time of year should be plenty to hold a charge and run and autotiller.

My my cat 22 we had the auto pilot was the best thing we did. Reaching for a 1000 yard stretch in the lake is great but when you are traveling 10 miles at 3.5 knots. Auto pilot really pays for it self.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 20:18   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

For a chart plotter, I went with a gps fishfinder. It has depth, chart, and speed over ground. Relatively cheap and easy set up.
For auto pilot I'm just using a bungee around the tiller. On a 22 foot, you are never too far away.
The best upgrade we have done on our 26 foot is an oven. Eating well makes a big difference on extended trips.
And of course our Spade Anchor. A good hook is important.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 21:53   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Our last boat was very similar, a 20 foot Austral. Shorter but a bit beamier. Best things I added were:

1. Tiller pilot, ST1000+. Did not use it for hours at a time, instead it was priceless when changing sails, consulting a chart or making a cup of tea under way.

2. A high quality two speed trailer winch with dyneema line because you really don't know how good or bad some of the launching ramps that you will have to use will be until you get there. And remember, a ramp that was excellent last year may be a crumbling mess this year. (Edit: I also fitted Michelin light truck tyres to the trailer which made towing a lot nicer too. Less drag, straighter tracking and no drift on wet roads. I towed the boat 1200 km each way for one holiday!)

3. LED lighting. Because every electron was sacred. (See point 4)

4. I WISH I had added a suitable solar panel because electrons were scarce and even a little 100 watt panel would have made a world of difference. 40 watts feels a bit tight to me.

I would have added a VHF radio but the boat already had one. I just moved an untrustworthy boat a few days ago in an area with no mobile phone coverage and the boat did not have a VHF or AM. I found it very disconcerting to put it mildly. All I could do was tell the people at the destination when to expect me and when to start worrying if I did not show up. A VHF would have solved most of my worries.

Have a great trip. I miss uncomplicated sailing. :^(
Old 28-12-2016, 23:13   #8

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Our last boat was very similar, a 20 foot Austral. Shorter but a bit beamier. Best things I added were:

1. Tiller pilot, ST1000+. Did not use it for hours at a time, instead it was priceless when changing sails, consulting a chart or making a cup of tea under way.

2. A high quality two speed trailer winch with dyneema line because you really don't know how good or bad some of the launching ramps that you will have to use will be until you get there. And remember, a ramp that was excellent last year may be a crumbling mess this year. (Edit: I also fitted Michelin light truck tyres to the trailer which made towing a lot nicer too. Less drag, straighter tracking and no drift on wet roads. I towed the boat 1200 km each way for one holiday!)

4. I WISH I had added a suitable solar panel because electrons were scarce and even a little 100 watt panel would have made a world of difference. 40 watts feels a bit tight to me.

I would have added a VHF radio but the boat already had one. I just moved an untrustworthy boat a few days ago in an area with no mobile phone coverage and the boat did not have a VHF or AM. I found it very disconcerting to put it mildly. All I could do was tell the people at the destination when to expect me and when to start worrying if I did not show up. A VHF would have solved most of my worries.

If you REALLY "miss uncomplicated sailing" MATT....how come you have a poster in your galley of George Clooney doing his Nespresso thing in the French Riviera.....huh?
Running's one thing, hiding is entirely another.
Gotcha !!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 02:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
If you REALLY "miss uncomplicated sailing" MATT....how come you have a poster in your galley of George Clooney doing his Nespresso thing in the French Riviera.....huh?
Running's one thing, hiding is entirely another.
Gotcha !!
Now that poster is strictly between me and George. We have something special and it's private.

But sadly, my batteries just can't do it for George as you know, such is life as you get older.

Now piss of to Tassie like a good boy and then you can tell me stories of far away places which I will share with George during the quiet evenings in the pen.
Old 29-12-2016, 02:47   #10

Ps. To the OP, I ran our VHF antenna off the stern of the boat. It was pretty satisfactory. I would not like to be stepping a mast with the added complication and weight of an antenna and cable unless I really expected to need the range. Check out the repeater locations where you intend to sail, you may find the range from deck level is fine.
Old 29-12-2016, 05:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Outfitting a 22 foot trailer sailor

A Depth Sounder..
I have an old 10" Notebook with the Nimble Navigator World Chart Program.. (last time I saw him in SXM they were $125/USB) combined with a GPS puck.. he now does it in a USB stick.. just plug it in and go.. a similar nav system (OpenCPN) is available here on CF for free.. but you then have to find the charts to download. phone as back up.. the bigger screen is nice and it doubles as an entertainment centre.
A tiller pilot is nice tho' if you plan on any overnight trips wire it to a dedicated battery with dedicated panel.. or be prepared to heave to or steer from around 0100 till around 0800.. short term stuff like brewing a cuppa sails set up right, the bungee method works well.
Find I enjoy steering by tiller, unlike the wheel one really feels the boats responses.
A HH VHF (Waterproof)..
Boats Compass..
Minimum at least a passage chart for the area.
Flares..
Being a Brit.. warm beers not a problem..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 05:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
A small solar panel to run a 12v car cooler. And the cooler of course! You can get by without refugeration, but cold drinks are really nice!

Cool thought! I like the idea of having some cold beverages but i'm a bit leery of the 4-5 amp draw while they are on. That would probably need a little more than my 40 watt panel I plan on using.

I will however consider this a possibility if I decide to look into a bigger panel/battery system.

(I feel like I might get by with just dunking a 6 pack in the st lawerence while anchored to cool it down)
Old 29-12-2016, 05:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobopacket View Post
For marine gps, if you have a smart phone. Navonics is great.

Your solar that time of year should be plenty to hold a charge and run and autotiller.

My my cat 22 we had the auto pilot was the best thing we did. Reaching for a 1000 yard stretch in the lake is great but when you are traveling 10 miles at 3.5 knots. Auto pilot really pays for it self.
Yup I'm thinking my smartphone might be an easy setup with the right app. I also have a laptop and a few posters below added info about adding a GPS usb stick and having that as a nice chart plotter too.

All good ideas! Thank you
Old 29-12-2016, 06:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

Good thoughts.. Had not considered the trailer aspect. I do have to tow it 280 something miles to get up there.. Might need to consider giving the trailer a spruce up for the trip.
Old 29-12-2016, 06:16   #15

Depth sounder that you can mount inside hull without drilling.

VHF with ais. This opens up night sailing and fog situations.

Handheld vhf as backup.

Simrad tp 10 tiller pilot. Small draw and excellent for single handing. Changing sails etc. I found a boat of that size did not like staying pointed into the wind when I went forward to put the main up.

Solar panel 100 watts min. With mttp regulator (I have genasun which is excellent)

Led running lights. Make sure you have led anchor light. Also led cabin lights.

Fridge. We have an ARB which draws only 2 amp average.

Navionics on your phone.

Don't need inverter... iPad is enough and don't need laptop...

backup gps that is waterproof in case you hit a storm (garmin 78 series).

Unless you keep gps on at all times you could use a compass.

About $3k should do all of that....
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail