Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 16:01   #1
Registered User
 
Harro's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Busselton Western Australia
Boat: Beneteau First 41s5
Posts: 78
Out board hp

Looking to buy 2.6m inflatable tender, not sure what hp for the outboard.
What sort of running time do you get with built in fuel tank on say 5hp and is this enough hp to push through choppy conditions
__________________

Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:22   #2
Tim. Keith-Lucas
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 1,261
Re: Out board hp

Of course, what kind of inflatable (from RIB to flat fabric bottom, what kind of transom?) makes a diference, but 5 hp is going to do just about all you can do with an inflatable that small.
__________________

tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 17:39   #3
Tim. Keith-Lucas
 
tkeithlu's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carrabelle, Florida
Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Posts: 1,261
Re: Out board hp

Harro, thinking a little bit about your situation (I apologize for making an off the top of my head response), it occurs to me that our similar sized non-planing hard bottom dinghy (Walker Bay with inflated collar) has a five hp four stroke engine, and certainly runs for an hour or more without a refill, but just as a matter of prudence we always toss in a small fuel tank. The 5 hp is more than enough to reach hull speed and make her plow. Unless the boat you are looking at isn't rated for that much power, you should be fine. I doubt you are talking about planing, so more power isn't going to be much help.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 00:06   #4
Registered User
 
Harro's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Busselton Western Australia
Boat: Beneteau First 41s5
Posts: 78
Re: Out board hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Harro, thinking a little bit about your situation (I apologize for making an off the top of my head response), it occurs to me that our similar sized non-planing hard bottom dinghy (Walker Bay with inflated collar) has a five hp four stroke engine, and certainly runs for an hour or more without a refill, but just as a matter of prudence we always toss in a small fuel tank. The 5 hp is more than enough to reach hull speed and make her plow. Unless the boat you are looking at isn't rated for that much power, you should be fine. I doubt you are talking about planing, so more power isn't going to be much help.
Thank you for your input, much appreciated
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:04   #5
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 4,042
Re: Out board hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
Looking to buy 2.6m inflatable tender, not sure what hp for the outboard.
Don't know what it's like there, but here most small boats and dinks and so forth come with manufacturer's recommendation for minimum and maximum horsepower... often on an embossed plate tacked to the transom. Even our (square-stern) canoe came with one of those...

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:17   #6
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 24,179
Images: 2
pirate Re: Out board hp

As posted above.. max HP is/should be stamped on the transom somewhere.. I'd not go over a 5hp personally which usually gets me on a plane solo with my favourite form of dink.. slat floored inflatable.. a 3.5 should also be adequate.
Favourite engine 5HP Tohatsu 2 stroke.
The built in tank is more than enough for normal daily use though usually carry a 5L can as well for those impulsive longer run arounds.
__________________


Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 15:04   #7
Registered User
 
Harro's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Busselton Western Australia
Boat: Beneteau First 41s5
Posts: 78
Re: Out board hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As posted above.. max HP is/should be stamped on the transom somewhere.. I'd not go over a 5hp personally which usually gets me on a plane solo with my favourite form of dink.. slat floored inflatable.. a 3.5 should also be adequate.
Favourite engine 5HP Tohatsu 2 stroke.
The built in tank is more than enough for normal daily use though usually carry a 5L can as well for those impulsive longer run arounds.
Thanks that's what I was thinking. Manufacturers only give max hp for their inflatable, which in this case is 10hp
__________________

Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To board or not to board, that is the question liveaboard60 Liveaboard's Forum 82 28-07-2016 12:50
Fender board fender for a 2X6 board wadanoli Anchoring & Mooring 8 25-10-2015 10:14
out board size for cats northerncat Propellers & Drive Systems 57 09-11-2007 18:07
in board / out board ksmith Monohull Sailboats 25 19-08-2007 22:20
Hello out there... New to Board, Looking for Skipper mskitty Meets & Greets 0 23-05-2004 06:19

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.