Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 08:16   #16

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings
Re: Our message in a bottle is found!!

I dropped a couple overboard when I was a kid on a cruise to Mexico.
Only one person took the time to hand write a letter back.
She lived 30 minutes from where I did in Tampa (we departed from Cape Canaveral).
I will continue to drop bottles this year when we sail.
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:31   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We have dropped a few bottles in places all over the world so far without success unfortunately without success, so congratulations.

The northern tip of Queensland is a fascinating place and would be a lot more interesting without all the crocs. We felt quite exposed with our air floor inflatable while Aussie cruisers had their tinnies instead (I originally thought that tinnies were cans of beers. We visited a couple who have a pearl farm in the mouth of the Escape River. Pretty lonely place to live, especially for people like them who loved to talk. When we called in by radio to see if they would a visit we asked about any problems with crocs. You said not if you kept moving - made me think about our not super-reliable Mercury 6. Another boat that anchored in the same area few days later had a croc jump out of the water in the middle of the night and bite off the outer red stripe on their Canadian flag. They were asleep in the aft cabin of their Amel and had a very rude awakening when the beast landed on the swim step and bit it too before falling back into the river.
Old 26-02-2016, 08:39   #18

My luck is that they would send me a bill for littering there beach !!
f100rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:43   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Typo? That's Bamaga, not Banana.
(Banana is inland, south west of Rocky, about 1000 miles south of Bamaga
Yes, stupid auto correct on a phone.

Bamaga
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I dropped one overboard about a 100 miles north of Bermuda last June. Figure it'll hit Ireland next year.
Will keep an eye out for it
philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:02   #21

I dropped a bottle overboard once but noticing it was not devoid of alcoholic content, it was retrieved rapidly. A close call.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:31   #22

Boat: Freedom 32'

How very, very, cool. Life is full of wonderful moments.
Old 26-02-2016, 09:34   #23

What kind of bottle ?
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:38   #24

What a great thing to have happen.

This has given me an idea, since I am in the 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River, I will launch one each year with hopes it will make it to the Atlantic Ocean.

Or even one a month during the boating season.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:40   #25

Boat: Union 36

That is very cool!
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:06   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f100rat View Post
My luck is that they would send me a bill for littering there beach !!
The tree huggers might make an issue of it. Not that I an against being eco. conscious but some times it is ill directed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:15   #27

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

On my Atlantic crossing I tossed 9 bottles with hand written messages. Three were found so far. One in Florida, one in the Bahamas on a deserted island and one in Turks and Caicos. It was so exciting each time one was found.
The first one that was found took over a year. I posted about it on this forum and got the crap beat out of me. I am so happy you are getting a more positive response. Yours made it a long way!
Wendi
Old 26-02-2016, 10:28   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Hey that is great Rubikoop, and a co-incidence as well! On a delivery in November I did the "message in a bottle" thing - actually it must have been about the 40th I have done over the years - and received an email from a gentleman in Maragogi, Brazil, on Tuesday, notifying me of the find. I threw it overboard between St Helena island and the northern coast of South America, at 12° 54'S and 013° 58'W. Three months to travel about 1600 nautical miles = 0.74knots. Not a bad drift rate!

The following is the email I received from the finder, translated from Portuguese to English via Google Translate:

Quote:
Hello John,
Thank you for returning my email.
John, was a wonderful day! Every afternoon often stroll along the beach with my dog ​​"Mell". On this day she saw something different in the sand and barked to call my attention.
As every dog ​​is curious by nature, he was sniffing it. And to my surprise it was a sealed bottle of wine with a note inside! I took my Mobile, filmed and took pictures of it.
Not opened it, brought it home and got read the English words keeping the message in the bottle. Only then I understood that it was not any castaway
Asking for help! I was relieved and I understood that it was a group of "tourists" who threw overboard a bottle with a message, so I was very happy and understood everything. It seems something like film: "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks or "Message in a Bottle" with Kevin Costner. Now, if it were a urgent distress call, I would take the bottle and the message to the Coast Guard take action, which was not the case. From there I put the pictures in the book and YouTube Face to disseminate this finding. I have not opened the bottle and nor will I do so. Maybe one day I will return personally. For now, she will be kept sealed, as a souvenir.
Well, John wish you all peace of the world and that God be with you on your travels. Desire to BEE-LINE boat owners all the best and we travel a lot across the Seven Seas.
I have a few photographs from the finder, but have no idea how to post them here. The finder, I would estimate, is late 30's.

I have previously had another "letter in a bottle" found in the Amazon delta, buy a Dutch couple on their honeymoon. This was about 8 years ago.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:02   #29

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

A friend of mine tossed one into the sea between California and Hawaii, he got a reply a few years later, from the Philippines! And the recipient was in desperate circumstances, and was asking for money. I don't recall if any was sent.
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 15:49   #30

Boat: Roberts25 26ft

Big write up/ photos of your bottle found in Australia on Yahoo7 Australian news. Sat 27/02/2016
Beautiful story!! Was also interesting to read all the other "message in a bottle" stories posted on the thread. Liked it
Dieter Volga is offline   Reply With Quote