Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2009, 02:12   #46

Boat: Skookum 53'
Congratulations, on your outward bound adventures. I am glad you stuck to your guns. As Capt. Ron would say " If we get lost, we can always pull in somewhere and ask directions." I would recommend that you read the thread about Coffee preparation and the best kinds. Getting just the right cup of coffee is crucial to good cruising, also you gotta have good tunes. If you have those two things you can always deal with the rest. Enjoy the trip, we are right behind you!
Old 14-06-2009, 03:05   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Thanks for the update......"blow boaters" .....thats a new one for me.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 04:55   #48

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I have sailed all of my life and feel very comfortable with that side of things - I know sailing - but owning a boat is so much more - diesel motors, radios and other electronics, navigation, slipping, anti-fouling , repairs, knots, problem solving, team management, budgeting, understanding weather etc etc etc!!!! The list goes on. I wish you Well waterwordly - it is my dream too!
Old 14-06-2009, 05:32   #49

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Congratulations waterworldly,

Think I saw that boat in the Exumas last winter. What's the boat's name? We're on Breathless,a Beneteau 393 and we'll be out again in the fall.
Old 14-06-2009, 06:17   #50

Looks like an Irwin 52? Your thread here was a real inspiration and gives hope to those who haven't escaped land yet. Thanks for your comments.
David
KairosKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 07:07   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I know sailing - but owning a boat is so much more - diesel motors, radios and other electronics, navigation, slipping, anti-fouling , repairs, knots, problem solving, team management, budgeting, understanding weather etc etc etc!!!!
You can start any time you like. It's not a race or a contest. You just wake up one day and decide you want to try. That is all it takes. It does not happen over night. You begin to learn one thing and end up knowing two things. You learn what you don't know and then you learn more things you didn't know. Dreams don't come true by accident. You can easily start here in Cruisers Forum (batteries, boat, and sea water not included).
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 07:56   #52
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Go north, past NY into Mass and Maine for the summer. LI Sound can be hot, humid, and airless (1-2 knots from 9AM to 7PM) for all of July and August, then it really gets nice. So for those two months? Go norther! Enjoy the ride.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:25   #53

Learning on small boats first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
I would STRONGLY recommend that before you head off anywhere in your Amel (nice boat), that you buy two small sailing dinghies - one each - and learn to sail them properly. There are things that you should know about sailing that you will never learn on a boat as big as an Amel. If you don't feel agile or athletic enough to be able to sail a small dinghy - you are probably not athletic or agile enough to retire on a boat.

Good Luck !
A friend of mine stated exactly that way back in 1974.
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:34   #54

Catafanatic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
My experience so far is that there are two problems associated with a large boat.
-Docking
-Engine

While every catafanatic in the world seems to have found their way onto this site some of their points have considerable merit if you are buying a larger expensive boat.
As a terminology challenged person, I looked up 'catafanatic' for the rest of us who never heard of it:

Function: noun
Definition: a person who is crazy about cats and anything to do with cats
Example Sentence: I am such a catafanatic.

I still don't see its usage with regard the the answer. Is there another use that I missed?
Old 14-06-2009, 08:37   #55

Captain Ron :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Congratulations, on your outward bound adventures. I am glad you stuck to your guns. As Capt. Ron would say " If we get lost, we can always pull in somewhere and ask directions." I would recommend that you read the thread about Coffee preparation and the best kinds. Getting just the right cup of coffee is crucial to good cruising, also you gotta have good tunes. If you have those two things you can always deal with the rest. Enjoy the trip, we are right behind you!
I'm going to have to view that movie again. If anyone else has not seen it, check it out for some laughs.
Old 14-06-2009, 10:32   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDreams
... I looked up 'catafanatic':

Function: noun
Definition: a person who is crazy about cats and anything to do with cats
Example Sentence: I am such a catafanatic.

I still don't see its usage with regard the the answer. Is there another use that I missed?
While I'm not 100% sure, I think if you substitute "catamaran" for "cat" in the definition, you'll get the drift.
qwer5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 10:42   #57

Most of us probably learned to sail on a friends boat and then jumped in with both feet! Go for it! "Formal" sail training is really a pretty new thing..... I dont know how Slocum made it around the world without it! ;>)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 11:14   #58
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
We plan to come back south in the fall and continue on to the US Virgins.
Congratulations on your successful transition to the life aquatic, waterworldly. Was there ever really any doubt?

I think, once you reach the Virgin Islands, that you may have already realized that to get there and not sail the British Virgins is to have deprived yourselves of some of the nicest cruising you'll ever find. There may be some who disagree, but many feel that the "Americanized" Virgin Islanders are surly and unwelcoming, and that St. Croix is even dangerous in many places ashore. St. John is lovely, of course, but once you've gotten there, you're just a stone's throw from the BVIs anyway.

So treat yourselves to cruising the Drake Channel, perhaps even make the jump to Anegada. Even if you decide that the BVIs are just too crowded with two-week-wannabe-cruisers during high season, half-drunk and commanding vessels they barely understand, it's still worth doing at least once. And you will have enough experience by then to protect yourselves from the more simple-minded charterers (after cruising the New England coast this summer).

TaoJones
Old 14-06-2009, 13:16   #59

100% sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwer5r View Post
While I'm not 100% sure, I think if you substitute "catamaran" for "cat" in the definition, you'll get the drift.
Yes, that must be it.

I'm substitution challenged at times, also.
Old 15-06-2009, 16:14   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
I just thought I would post an update now that time has past,
That was nice of you.

Very nice to hear you are well.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote