Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2013, 16:21   #1

Boat: Island Packet 370
Oriental NC to Tampa Fl

We are in the process of moving our new to us Island Packet 370 from Annapolis to Tampa. So far we have stayed in the ICW and has been a great trip.We have now left the boat in Oriental and returned to Indiana. Our original plan was to go the whole way via ICW, but we have run short on time and need to not spend as long getting to Florida.

We have contacted a well known experienced delivery captain about helping us go outside the rest of the way. Unfortunately we did not get the idea to talk to him till just a couple of days ago. He basically said he was interested in doing the delivery and had a time slot starting November 22 he is now headed on a trip to the Caribbean so we really cant talk to him more for several days.

We are not total newbies but are far from experienced sailors. Our experience level is as follows. Power boating around the Keys and West coast of Florida. We have taken ASA courses thru the ASA104 level. Last September we served as the crew on a delivery from Tampa to Oriental. That trip went very well for us, we did the night watches and the captain and owner did day watches. But we were of course still in summer weather going with the Gulf Stream. Was really a great ride!

If we do the trip with the delivery skipper my wife and I would be the crew. I have a few questions about how this trip might be executed. The captain said we would push South and probably only make two stops for fuel and rest.One of my questions is would it be possible to leave Beaufort inlet and stay inside the gulf stream on the way south. Looking at the pilot chart it appears the Gulf stream west wall is usually near the 100 Fathom curve. Does this not give you enough sea room to be safe? I can see how in case of bad weather you would be trapped between the stream and the coast. Or would it be better to cross the stream and head south?

I realize these are things I should be asking the delivery guy but he is not available for several days and want to get the basics in my head before we make a final decision on going outside verses the ICW. The pluses we see to going outside are it fits our time schedule way better. Also we think it would be a great learning experience. Having said that we don't want to take unreasonable chances. I know there has been another thread on going South this time of year.But we have somewhat different circumstances
we are leaving from further south and if we do it we will do it with a pro.What do you think?

Thanks Bob and Cathy

Old 01-11-2013, 16:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Oriental NC to Tampa Fl

The problem you face is of course a schedule. We have done the trip south on the outside several times. The key is to leave immediately after a cold front passage that does not have another front close behind. This has not been a problem for us in late November which is when we usually leave. Leaving after the front passage assures you of strong NW winds comiong off the beach. It's good sailing and if you don't go too far off shore there is not much fetch so the waves don't get too big. Typically the winds will clock to the NE in the first 24 hours and weaken. they will then clock to the east and then SE but much lighter. You may have 12 hours or so of motoring/motorsailing. Cross frying pan shoals at the marked channel about half way out to the tip. The water is plenty deep and it's an easy passage. After that I head at the Charleston sea buoy. This route keeps you inside the gulf stream. then head for St Mary's inlet. Last year we did it in two days 4 hours and the year before in 2 days 6 hours. The year before with a crew of three rather than two we went to St. Augustine instead and did it in two days 18 hours. You can rest/refuel at Fernandina beach or St Augustine. I have Family in Melbourne so I usually go to Port Canaveral which takes me 24-28 hours from St Mary's. You can of course keep going and make Miami in about 2.5 days. You already know your way around the keys and the west coast so I'll leave that part to you. After St Mary stick as close to the coast as you feel comfortable as there is often a countercurrent near the beach. I often wait until another cold front passes to start out from St Mary's. This usually gives me at least 24 hours with wind coming off the beach.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2013, 16:07   #3

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Bob and Cathy, I meant to respond to this earlier. This sounds like a really good way to build some confidence as a team with your IP. Consider heading for Charleston or beyond on your own. In lieu of heading straight for Frying Pan from Beaufort/Cape Lookout, head for Masonboro Inlet and catch the falling tide down the Cape Fear bound for Charleston or points south.

There are some advantages to this approach, besides being on the rhumb line anyway. You get a 70 nm offshore hop, with a chance to shake things down and get comfortable handling the boat. Any issues that need addressing can be handled in Wrightsville, etc, or tankage, or you can stop and sleep after the short passage. It is a great way to build confidence, knowing you'll be heading in after 12 hours of good sailing.

This time of year, there is insufficient light to make the trip in daylight. I like to anchor out at Cape Lookout, and put out to sea there, often in the dark. It is very easy to slip out of there in the dark singlehanding, not so much Beaufort although easier than coming in Beaufort at night, of course.

I try to time my arrival at Masonboro inlet for slack high - and daylight - and then ride the Cape Fear down, making 7.5 to 8 knots, and put right back out to sea. If the wind were contrary to current in the Cape Fear, I'd pull off into Bald Head Island Marina and wait for slack water. The Cape Fear is mighty, and the falling tide against a 20 knot SSW breeze will make for some big standing waves. I would not recommend that, it will make your boat feel tiny, toss everything that isn't secured, and maybe make you seasick.. You would be sailing SW on a different forecast, but FYI. I usually start my trips this way, it is a good way to get back in the zone after being off the water for a while.

Good luck with your adventure, I hope you get to do some of it on your own.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56   #4

Boat: 44 footer

If you are looking for local eastern NC options of other Captains... You might want to get in touch with my friend Doug. Tell him Zach sent you. Grin.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: cp1

He's rated Offshore, Sailing Master, 150 tons... and teaches the local captains courses. I worked with him last year running a charter boat and got to know him.

Zach
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Your plan makes sense. There is often a south flowing counter current inside the Gulf Stream which will give you a boost. If the weather turns bad you can just go inside and continue in the ICW. Going across Fla through the Waterway is a very pretty trip, have fun and enjoy your new boat.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Bob & Cathy, I've found that there is plenty of room to cruise south and stay west of the influences of the Gulfstream until you reach Lake Worth Inlet at Palm Beach. North of this point, depending on the weather, you can find good inlets at Fernandina, St Johns River, Cape Canaverral, Fort Pierce & Saint Lucie. Some insist that you can find a countercurrent between Palm Beach and Miami, where the Gulfstream is closest to shore, but I have not found this to be true, although the current is not as strong closer to shore. If your IP370 has the 4'3" draft, then you may also choose to sail south in Biscayne Bay and remain on the Bayside until reaching Long Key where you can pass through Yacht Channel and take the short cut to a pass outside Cape Romano. If you decide to take Hawks Channel south of Miami, you still have the option with your shoal draft to pass under the Channel Five Bridge between Long Key and Lower Matecumbe for the route outside Cape Romano. Either way, there's no need for you to trek out to Key West or even Marathon.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05   #7

How tall is your mast height? If less than 50' off the water, and I think it would be, you can go into the St Lucie River at Stuart FL and through the Okeechobee Waterway across to Ft Myers. Unless of course you want to go through the Keys. I think you cut off a couple hundred miles IIRC. Wasn't an option for me
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I think the IP370 vertical clearance requires more than 54' which is a little too much to tip with the water bags under the 49' bridge on the Okeechobee route, but this is always good to consider.
Old 14-11-2013, 08:28   #9

Thanks for all the great info! Yes our mast is 54 feet so we must go around keys. Everything posted is very helpful and makes great sense. I actually feel like we could do the passage with out help, but do to time constraints and the desire to potentially learn our boat from a pro sailers perspective we are still going to use the delivery captain.

We feel certain that next trip up and down the east coast we can do on our own making both inside and outside runs. We are headed to the Saint Petersburg area for the winter and plan on doing a lot of sailing practice!Not sure which marina but maybe the one on Pasadena.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:19   #10

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Sounds like you have a great plan! And if your captain knows IP's he will probably give you some great advice and lessons! Have fun!
Old 15-11-2013, 11:32   #11

Our delivery captain is a IP guy. He had owned more than one and seems to enjoy sailing them. We are hoping to learn a lot from him. Hope we get lucky and get some warm weather!

Will there be much chance of catching fish on this run? Was not sure since we will be inside of Gulf Stream.
Old 15-11-2013, 12:47   #12

Boat: Moccasins and pony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Lyon View Post
Our delivery captain is a IP guy. He had owned more than one and seems to enjoy sailing them. We are hoping to learn a lot from him. Hope we get lucky and get some warm weather!

Will there be much chance of catching fish on this run? Was not sure since we will be inside of Gulf Stream.
I've caught mackerel both king and Spanish along that run. Try some spoons nearshore or ballyhoo with a little downrigger on it. Bonito too

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: