Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 13:09   #1

Boat: Freedom 32'
Opinions please

I bought my Bristol this past Nov and had it shrink wrapped for the winter in Ct. I can't splash til April of next year. I'm taking this year to get a kitty behind me for whatever refit I need. My question is... should I leave the shrink wrap on thru the summer? My concern is condensation. The yard guys suggest leaving it on, which surprised me. I thought there would be less with it off. What are your opinions. My ultimate trust is in the forum. So I need your feedback. Thanks all.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 13:39   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I bought my Bristol this past Nov and had it shrink wrapped for the winter in Ct. I can't splash til April of next year. I'm taking this year to get a kitty behind me for whatever refit I need. My question is... should I leave the shrink wrap on thru the summer? My concern is condensation. The yard guys suggest leaving it on, which surprised me. I thought there would be less with it off. What are your opinions. My ultimate trust is in the forum. So I need your feedback. Thanks all.
The shrink wrap will keep direct sun off the deck, cabin, and stuff. This is a good thing. Keep the sun off.

Some shrink wrap in long term contact with your gelcoat and moisture can permanently change the color leaving blotches so I am told. Need to be careful here.

Lastly, the shrink wrap will prevent efficient internal ventilation via your vents during the hot moist summer. This will directly result in a massive mold and mildew attack. I have heard of people opening up the cabin and finding a forest of hair. Make sure you have lots of ventilation and light.

Good luck!!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 13:48   #3

Boat: Ontario32

Good information given by Lake Superior, water is your friend but moisture is not. Perhaps you can buy a Dr Shrink zip in door designed for shrink wrap projects and a couple of vents for the existing wrap job. This would allow summer access to open her up and check the status without destroying the investment in the cover . You can open her right up under the cover.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 13:57   #4

My surveyor told me to put that round pipe insulation in between the hull and wrap about every 4-6 ft. This will stop and blistering from happening, and will also allow for some air flow(movement) reducing the amount of moisture build up. Vents up high will really help further. And a zipper door will also. The door you can open slightly to get air flow, when you are going to the boat, for odds and ends to do!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 14:14   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

When we put Kewalo away last fall, we set the shrink wrap up thinking we would be away for a minimum 2 years. We had extra vents installed, and a large zippered door. Our intent was to open the zippered door halfway, install some screening, and leave it open for the summer. The screening was to prevent birds etc. from having an easy access/exitway.

We left all the opening portlights open, the hatches open, and installed a vented door in the companionway. Again, all openings were screened.

Over the fall/winter/spring, we monitored progress in the boat, and there was some water in the bilge from running down the mast, which is still up. When I say some water, very, very little. We had also left moisture absorbers all over the boat which can be had at the dollar store for very little. They work great!

In retrospect, a zippered door at each end of the boat would work better in creating a breeze inside of the plastic, and the boat.

It is very humid in the Windsor Ontario area, and as of two days ago there is no mold, mildew, smell or anything. I am confident that with occasional inspections and changing out of the moisture absorbers and any water in the bilge..and she would be fine.

We decided to sell her off, and she will be on her way to her new home in CT at the end of the month, so...that's all I can tell you. Set up this way, she has weathered...the weather, very well.

If you have power available for a good rate, installing a dehumidifier would certainly prove beneficial as well. Set it up to continually drain down your sink, in the warm weather.

Good luck with your decision!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease