Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 17:44   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Opinions on relocation for sailing purposes.

Binary

Thanks for the compliments, sounds like you have done research. And yes there are quite a few old farts down here ---- the rest of us over 60's are out sailing.

Feel free to PM

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 17:52   #62

Boat: Com Pac 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarysailor View Post
I'm heading back to Nap town for the boat show. I will say I've never considered Virginia or MD as relocation places. I'll have to take anothwr look when we go.
Sail monkey ur points on Houston are well taken. Unless I was interested in viewing oil rigs.... lol
SFD every house I've owned was purchased in need of extensive repair and sold for top $. And most of the work I do myself.
As for jobs the Mrs and I are both in a allied medical field. If where we move has a hospital I am confident we can get a job.
Florida looks like it really pulling ahead here. I lived in St. Pete a long time back. Never thought I'd be back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm not sure why you mentioned Chicago specifically, but your professions clearly open you up to the entire Great Lakes region. Consider Wisconsin or Michigan. My nephew's wife is a doctor and works at several different hospitals in Michigan and they enjoy power boating on Lake Michigan.

While skiing at Mont Ripley in Houghton, MI, I shared several chairlift rides with a Michigan Tech professor from the United Kingdom. I asked him how he ended up picking such a place to live. He said, "I love skiing and I love sailing. This offers me both on a daily basis."

Green Bay, WI has several Hospitals, much lower cost of living, and only 3 1/2 hours north of Chicago.
DsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:14   #63

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Not to knock the great lakes but when I was there on a visit I did not see any swimmers in the water at the end of June. I wondered why so I walked into Lake Michigan up to my ankles and turned around. Wow - that is cold water.

I saw a few sailboats out. Thought if anyone fell off the boat they were goners in and 90 seconds.

And don't forget 7 months that you really do not want to be on a boat.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:42   #64

Boat: Pacific Trawler 37

Tampa area for sure. My wife and I are from the KC area and moved to the Charlotte Harbor area 12 years ago. No regrets. We looked at NC too but preferred blue water and sand to the Carolina mud. Several folks we know have moved here from TX and also much prefer our waters to those in the Houston area.
jjorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:52   #65

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

Tampa Bay...not Tampa...Tampa is on the north end of the Bay and offers few slip opportunities...St Pete, Apollo Beach, Bahia Beach/ Ruskin, and yes Palmetto, Bradenton, Sarasota. Up and down the west coast is sailing paradise and a bargain.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 03:22   #66

Up and down the west coast of Florida is not all good for sailing. From about Tarpon Spings or Weeki Wachi north to about the panhandle the Gulf of Mexico is very shallow. For example you can not sail easily into Homosassa, Crystal River or Yankee Town. I saw a 40' sailboat stuck in the Withlachoochee River being pulled off low spot by TowBoatsUS. You do not see many sailboats in what Florida calls 'The Nature Coast'. In this area you see a lot of Flats type boats.

Agree at Tarpon Springs going south the water gets better.

Old 23-09-2016, 04:37   #67

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

Agree...stay south of Tarpon Springs and purchase a boat with a draft 5 foot or less and consider staying away from a wing keel.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:57   #68

Boat: right now 2 14' lasers

Good advice tuffr2 thnks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Binarysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:05   #69

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

But back to Jacksonville. Yes it's 15 miles from the ocean, but take a look at the St John's river. Just to the South of Jax it's 2-3 miles wide for 50 miles. Beautiful wide deep water that is totally protected, yet close enough to the coast to give nice sea breezes every afternoon. Year round sailing. Reasonable to super cheap slips and property values are very low in comparison to most places that have been mentioned. Also very healthy economy and job prospects. There is a very mild change of seasons. Much less populated than S FL.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:44   #70

I would agree Jax would be a fine place have a sailboat. I spend time in Jax and Tampa. Traffic seems to move much much better in Jax plus is kinda pretty city but so is Tampa.

Maybe...add Daytona to a possible location mix. You have Ponce Inlet giving easy access to the Ocean.

For you guys that like the west coast of the US, how cold in the water? I do not see wet suits unless watching surfers on the west coast.

Old 26-09-2016, 11:32   #71

We also love Tampa. But less for the sailing. Lots of shallow water even there. I rented a power boat for the day and had to be very careful.

Also JAX has a large medical industry. Mayo has a huge facility.

Daytona gets pretty crazy several times a year. Bike week, spring break, and several car races. Further they aren't activities that we enjoy. But others would.
Old 26-09-2016, 19:57   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not sure where you were in the bay. I sail out of St. Pete muni with 4.5' of draft and have not had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 06:38   #73

We were just inside of St Pete beach. I may have spoken out of turn as I'm certainly not an expert in the area. I remember driving to Clearwater and seeing fisherpeople standing way out in the bay. So I assumed that a lot of the water was skinny.

The place we rented the boat from warned us not to go several places as there wasn't enough water and very tricky to maneuver through.
Old 27-09-2016, 06:51   #74

Not sure how snowbirds affect the Tampa / Tampa Bay area. I heard that Zephyrhills about 35 miles from Tampa has a population of 15,000. In winter that number jumps to 85,000. Heard this from a Zephyrhills council person. I do know that Route 19 is very busy in winter.

Also the Skyway (Sunshine) Bridge looks like it is in shallow water by the murky water color. But what a pretty drive.

I think most areas of Florida get busier in winter as most camp grounds fill up with snowbirds.

Old 27-09-2016, 09:12   #75

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Tampa Bay has a shipping channel and the depth at the skyway is around 30-40 ft.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing