Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 14:31   #46

Boat: Island Packet 31
Re: Opinions on relocation for sailing purposes.

I live and sail the West Coast of Florida from Tampa. It's hot, but bearable once you get used to it. Many places go, lots to do, many yards and marinas, although I spend most of my time on the hook when traveling.
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:04   #47

Boat: Catalina 400

A second vote for Oriental!
Great community, friendly small town.

You get 4 distinct seasons, three good for sailing.
Lots of available marinas and docks, from basic to posh.

Several destinations within a weekenders range.
Ocracoke, Beaufort, New Bern, Belhaven.
Jump off for the Carib from Beaufort, or north on the ICW to the Chesapeake. Nice.

We love it
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 16:24   #48

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

buy the bluewater keel boat that you are aiming for / live aboard in a marina suitable for schooling, commuting needs / sail your boat whenever you can / then you are relocating for sailing purposes
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 17:48   #49

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

If you plan on buying a boat in 5 years, then why buy a house? I would recommend buying the yacht of your dreams and living aboard. The place? Honolulu. Perfect sailing weather year round. Great marinas and fun boating community. You could build your skills in a beautiful area.

We keep our 42' ketch in a secure marina just 15 minutes from downtown. Our two sons live aboard full time. We spend the winter months there hiding from the Atlanta cold. The west end of O'ahu has a beautiful marina in a huge resort/beach property.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 17:54   #50

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Another thing to consider while weighing costs of waterfront/coastal properties. Not listed in the selling price is the cost of flood insurance. If you are intent on buying be careful to check the latest flood zone maps and enquirer as to how much home insurance will cost you. What you assume your mortgage will cost based on selling price can quickly double due to insurance requirements.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 18:09   #51

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
If you plan on buying a boat in 5 years, then why buy a house? I would recommend buying the yacht of your dreams and living aboard. The place? Honolulu. Perfect sailing weather year round. Great marinas and fun boating community. You could build your skills in a beautiful area.

We keep our 42' ketch in a secure marina just 15 minutes from downtown. Our two sons live aboard full time. We spend the winter months there hiding from the Atlanta cold. The west end of O'ahu has a beautiful marina in a huge resort/beach property.
What's slip availability like, ditto on their cost (per location)? Also, what's the plan when a hurricane or major storm heads that way?
I'm asking not to knock the place, but because I'm geniunely curious, but don't know. And that these are common problems.

I do like your migratory nature. Frostbite vs. sunburn... Um, not a tough choice

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Another thing to consider while weighing costs of waterfront/coastal properties. Not listed in the selling price is the cost of flood insurance. If you are intent on buying be careful to check the latest flood zone maps and enquirer as to how much home insurance will cost you. What you assume your mortgage will cost based on selling price can quickly double due to insurance requirements.
In eastern NC, the hurricane wind insurance (state policy) is worse than the flood insurance (federal policy). The state pretty much dictates a standard hurricane wind insurance policy. I inquired about increasing the deductible to lower the premium and was actually quoted a higher premium.

Mike
Mike_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 21:23   #53

Boat: right now 2 14' lasers

Ugh flood AND wind insurance? Ok that officially sucks. So your telling me to buy a 300k house on the eastern seaboard with 40℅ down would be roughy1.2k month. But with flood/wind insurance it would be 2.4k?
Edit: Helpful website

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmar...sSearch.action

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Binarysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 21:55   #54

Bad link 👆. Try this one:
https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/

Old 21-09-2016, 02:19   #55
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

When we bought a place on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, it was easy to find a lot that was outside of the zone that required flood insurance. I believe it was >10 feet above MLW or something like that. Our homeowners insurance was priced just like any lot off the water. The flood zone maps are available from the counties.
Old 21-09-2016, 08:38   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarysailor View Post
Ugh flood AND wind insurance? Ok that officially sucks. So your telling me to buy a 300k house on the eastern seaboard with 40℅ down would be roughy1.2k month. But with flood/wind insurance it would be 2.4k?

No, the insurance isn't that expensive. On a $300K house, the flood insurance is about $1100 annually. My house is elevated 1 ft above the 100 year flood level, it may be more if the house is not above the 100 year flood level. I think the wind/hail coverage from the state is about $1500 annually. This is on top of the fire insurance coverage. You don't have to have the insurance unless you have a mortgage.

Mike
Mike_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 14:03   #57

Boat: CLC Skerry

What about Chesapeake Bay? Also, I would rule out buying a house. Taxes, fees, repairs, and insurance will eat up at least the first 5 years of appreciation. As a homeowner, you will grow roots in the home and community, and this will make it harder to leave it behind. Rent a nice condo and keep your options open.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 14:25   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarysailor View Post

You NEED to do some research. Houses off the water will run above $300. On the water 2-3X that. A $300k condo will carry a healthy monthly condo fee.

Suggest you figure out what type of sailing you want to do. Sailing SE FLA, you go out an inlet and are sailing in the ocean. The GS is a few miles off the coast and affects navigation just a mile or so off the coast. Ocean sailing is a very different type of sailing than Tampa Bay or down in Punta; winds 15-20- seas 4-6 in Atlantic, 1' chop in the bay. Even the open GOM on a norm is very different than the Atlantic.

Finally, suggest you check the job market down here- very different than elsewhere.

Hate to be a grinch, but your posts seem to indicate that you need to do some more homework.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 17:03   #59

Thanks Snore!
Sounds like SE FLA is where I want to be. Some day I aspire to be an old crusty salt like you. 50 ton endorsement isn't anything to snore about.
As far as housing the 300k was an example of a 3b/3ba house I was looking on Zillow with a dock in Palm Coast Fla. I can pm you the link if you are in the market.
No worries abt jobs. Like I said earlier I'm in allied healthcare and have Fla recruiters on my phone/email daily. Seems they have an abnormally high number of elderly people in Fla that would benefit from my services.

I don't think your being a Grinch. You're just adding a bit of salty reality flavor to my budding aspirations. Thanks for your response.

Old 21-09-2016, 17:24   #60

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Palm Coast is a very nice area of Florida. The down side is it does not have access to the ocean. It is probably 35 miles to a reliable inlet out to the ocean either at St. Augustine or Ponce Inlet in south Daytona.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing