Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 09:03   #31

Boat: Outbound 46
Re: Opinions on relocation for sailing purposes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chesapeake Bay. An astonishing variety of places to sail to, lots of infrastructure to support sailboats, friendly people. It is definitely hot in the summer, but not any more so than our experience in the Caribbean.

Lots of choices about where. We had a good experience for a couple of seasons based out of Deltaville. Annapolis is a sailor's mecca. Salomans is a fun place to spend some time. Many other choices.

The economy in Virginia and Maryland is pretty OK, so finding work might not be impossible.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:16   #32

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Chesapeake is good for spring and fall, but forget the rest of the year. The Northeast has an even shorter sailing season. If you want more sailing and a comfortable climate, join the hordes in Southern California.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:24   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

You may want to include the lower Chesapeake Bay in your options. You can research the pluses/minuses. Best points: You can choose your lifestyle ... urban, small town, or rural; great sailing opportunities and resources. Weather is not ideal, but climate choice is subjective.
custhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:24   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Chesapeake Bay. Washington DC eastern suburbs are pretty close.

No place as as much semi-protected shoreline and history. If you own a sweater, the season is 8 months, 12 months with a coat.

Sail Delmarva
Old 20-09-2016, 10:35   #35

Boat: Allied Seawind 32

It's not on your list, but give a look at the Chesapeake Bay

Sent from my XT1064 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bucktalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:39   #36

Boat: Island Packet 32

We're looking at Alabama and the FL Panhandle.
Old 20-09-2016, 11:18   #37

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

In MD, Annapolis specifically, we raced year round. Though admittedly winter was called frostbite season for obvious reasons. But with a heating system on the boat & a good dodger/hard dodger, especially with rear curtains, I'd have zero issues with sailing there 10-12 months of the year, & living onboard... Actually I'd love it.

AC would be really nice to have for a few of the summer months, but you can get by without. Especially when you're out sailing vs. being anchored in an estuary somewhere out of the wind.
Winds in July & August tend to be really light, even for boats with big sail plans, but it's possible to sail everywhere. Also, it's really, really rare for named storms to head your way in the Chesapeake. And in spring you have great winds, with them fading about the time which folks that can, head north. Call it May+/-

The cruising's exceptional. As are cultural activities, given the location. And you can't want for sailing services or opportunities. Plus should you choose to head north or south, you can do so via ocean, or more protected routes for much of the journey.

On SF, no one's mentioned it yet, but there are lots of spots to sail & explore in addition to the bay proper. So that you won't lack for that, though a good bit of it's estuarys which require motoring, & or, a shallower draft.
I'm not sure if there's 5yrs worth of exploring to do there or not. Others can chime in, & there's a good bit mentioned about the Delta here on the forums. And also some in www.latitude38.com

Up in the NW you'll never run out of places to explore, or things to do, & it's a fav of many folks for a reason. You'll want a heater onboard (but where don't you) due to water temps, & cooler temps. And some warm gear in lieu of sun screen. But the food's good, if a bit tame, & there's also lots to do & see in Canada. Plus if you like beach combing, or collecting your own seafood, opportunities abound.

I haven't spent enough time in the other spots to contrast them, so... it's up to you. With some of it being, in order of priority, what do you want? Plus, given the stakes, it makes sense to visit several areas for a long weekend. Especially with flights being cheap. That way you have a sense for yourself of how well each of your top picks "fit".

Ah, & this may sound silly, but look at what type of festivals each area has that call to you. Do you like street fairs with music? Boat related ones? Film fest's, etc. As for me, such events do tend to color the flavor of somewhere a lot, & definitely play to the quality of life factor. And there are loads of online resources to look up such things, as well as the literal quality of life in places.

PS: I love San Diego too, there's just much less to do in the area cruising wise. Especially in terms of places to explore or anchor. You have to head out to the Channel Islands basically. But the food & culture are great, even if slips are tough to come by. Sailing weather is year round, with drifting strength winds in summer. And super mild winters.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:05   #38

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Downside is high cost of living, very high population density and California crazyness.

But great sailing...

Jim
Hey! We Californians may be crazy, but we can still read these notes! Fortunately we are so well medicated they don't bother us!
Yes definitely DON'T come out to southern California with milder climate, year-round sailing, islands to visit, great races up and down the coast, Mexico to visit, jump off to Hawaii et al. Don't even think about it... bad idea. And we are all crazy too! Stay away!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:22   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Realestate cost will probably be a determining factor. Coastal city residences in California are very expensive, $500,000 for a fixer or not so luxurious condo. Slip rentals in SoCal are very expensive, much cheaper in the Bay Area. If you have skills, jobs pay well, though.

PNW is the same around Seattle but cheaper when you get an hours drive outside the city. Jobs may be an issue outside the Emerald City which probably accounts for the lower real estate values.

Houston's economy is oil based. Don't know what the job market is there with oil prices depressed and probably stay that way for quite awhile. Only spent a day there in the summer and it was hot and humid. 100 degrees is hot in AZ with no humidity, imagine what it's like when humidity matches the temperature.

Spent a summer in Pensacola going through initial Navy pilot training. Actually found it to be quite livable especially if you are on the beach. Florida Property values have probably come back but possibly the cheapest houses close to the ocean with good job opportunities.

Really liked cruising through S and N Carolina. Hot in the summer but you can get out on the water 9 plus months of the year. Jobs may be an issue near the water as most industry/tech is inland. Would move to Charleston in a minute which may be an excpetion to the job situation.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:29   #40

Boat: right now 2 14' lasers

No worries Don. I would never insinuate ALL Cali's are crazy lol! But I'm thinking SV DestinyAscen nailed it. West coast sailing is great for Pacific side cruising targets. But since the phase 4 target of my particular dream is the Caribbean, Cali and the PNW isn't my cuppa tea. Pacific cruising is really more phase 5 of my dream. I have to get the Mrs through phase 1-4 first. 😎🍿
Still some really good thoughts being posted! Thanks!
JP -Where in Alabama and the Fla peninsula?
UNCIVILIZED - Nice and succinct. I like the idea of visiting a narrowed down number of locations prior to moving.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Binarysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:36   #41

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

I have lived n St Petersburg for 31 years. From Wisconsin. Have owned a sailboat in the St Petersburg Muni marina since day one. Its the best kept secret in the US. Just do not buy a boat with a draft over 5 foot. Tampa Bay is protected and an hour or less easy sail to the Gulf of Mex.
If it were less humid here in the summer this town would be 20 million people and a lot of it's beauty for the boater might go away. Endless number of places to sail to year round.
Good luck,
Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment[3].jpg
Views:	133
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	131474  
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:37   #42

Sarasota Fl.

Best because you can cruise North to Tarpon Springs, Tampa Bay and South to the Keys.
All easy sailing. I would recommend a shoal draught vessel.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 12:54   #43

Boat: Hunter 30

Normally I recommend SW Florida Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area on Charlotte Harbor but I think we are full up.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 13:27   #44

Boat: Creekmore 36

Check out the overlooked Mississippi Gulf Coast. 5 brand new marinas along a 26 mile stretch of white sand beach. A row of 5 barrier 12 +/- miles off shore stretching from Mississippi to the Florida panhandle make for comfortable cruising. You can even sail to New Orleans. Slip rent for a 36' boat $200.00 or less. Cost of living is low, seafood is great and the residents warm & friendly. Actually real warm in July/August. Great sailing all year.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 13:56   #45
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Chesapeake is good for spring and fall, but forget the rest of the year. The Northeast has an even shorter sailing season. If you want more sailing and a comfortable climate, join the hordes in Southern California.
A lot of sailors who live on the Bay would disagree with you.

Tags
sail, sailing