Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 15:48   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'
Opinions on my blog...

I started a blog when I headed out to sea this last year and would love to get some honest (and helpful) opinions about what you think could make it better and more informational for my family, friends and/or other readers. I welcome constructive criticism but would beg you to consider that the key word in that sentence is constructive. haha. I had limited availability to internet connections that would support photo and/or video uploads so that is something I have to improve on. Also, the videos that I did upload are of very poor quality and that will improve as well.

Anyway, my blog can be found at On Deck With SV Liahona or SVLiahona.blogspot.com. Let me know what you think and don't hesitate to follow by email if that interests you. You can find a tool for that in the upper right hand corner of my blog page. Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.

Bret
SV Liahona
Old 16-07-2015, 16:06   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Opinions on my blog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccrest View Post
I started a blog when I headed out to sea this last year and would love to get some honest (and helpful) opinions about what you think could make it better and more informational for my family, friends and/or other readers. I welcome constructive criticism but would beg you to consider that the key word in that sentence is constructive. haha. I had limited availability to internet connections that would support photo and/or video uploads so that is something I have to improve on. Also, the videos that I did upload are of very poor quality and that will improve as well.

Anyway, my blog can be found at On Deck With SV Liahona or SVLiahona.blogspot.com. Let me know what you think and don't hesitate to follow by email if that interests you. You can find a tool for that in the upper right hand corner of my blog page. Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.

Bret
SV Liahona
I love a good read. I'll be checking your blog out on my commute. I snuck a quick read. Good work. +1 from me.

The Island Earth site I like. It has the blogs of two Liberty 458s circumnavigating. The one called Solstice is singlehanding. The author writes a great blog. Very personal.

The other vessel, hokulea?, has a cursive font blue on blue which is totally unreadable. WTF.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-07-2015, 16:28   #3

Cool, thanks for the positive feedback and let me know what you think when you get in further.
Bret
Old 17-07-2015, 07:38   #4

So over 160 people have seen this post and only ONE has an opinion. Really? That must be a CF record. My past experience on here tells me that EVERYONE has and opinion AND expresses them. What's up?
Old 17-07-2015, 18:12   #5

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

Terrific blog. Living the dream - long may you! Perhaps the lack of response is that it is beyond critcism?
Sunshine and fair winds to you my friend.
Old 17-07-2015, 18:35   #6

Bret...your blog is a good read (didn't go back and read all your entries, but likely will over the next few weeks). Your prose is descriptive. Good font. A bit more paragraphing would help...

Good luck.
Old 17-07-2015, 21:44   #7

Thank you Isabella Jane and Fryewe for your responses. I appreciate that and Fryewe, I will look at paragraphing a bit more. I know pics are huge and I know that I am lacking there but it is very difficult in Mexico unless you spend a lot of time in bigger towns (which I prefer not to do) or you spend a chunk of money on a Sat phone (also not that attractive to me). However, I am going to make a concerted effort to have more pics up this next season and also more on boat maintenance and breakdowns. Thanks again for your responses!
Bret
SV Liahona
Old 17-07-2015, 21:51   #8

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Yes, you write well, there are some great photos and I read almost everything but finally gave up after one-too-many 'Haha's' and 'LOL's'. You don't need them; your stories are descriptive enough. Sounds great, what you are doing...best wishes for more and keep on writing. You are doing fine.
Old 17-07-2015, 22:45   #9

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

...thinking a little more seriously about your request, I might suggest (if you didn't already do so in full, in the earlier posts that I missed) that reading some reflections on your earlier experience of sailing as you pass through previous anchorages would be interesting...what changes, what feelings, how YOU have changed and what elements then that influenced you so seriously would add a bit more depth. Has it changed much, and might it still have an effect for other youngsters following in your wake, or has the world changed too much since then...or does the kind of world within a family make more of an impact than an external does, at that age?

I apologize in advance if, in reading a bit too fast, I missed some of this. I may have gotten hung up on the surfeit of lobsters...living on a boat is more than that, and the obvious joy you radiate says you are experiencing something less superficial, much more special...if you can define it, share it?
Old 17-07-2015, 22:55   #10

Most everything is in the first person, try to add thoughts comments from some of your crew/family. Share some experiences from fellow cruisers you have met. Your writing skills are good. Cheers, R
Old 18-07-2015, 03:04   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Brett

I skimmed through this. Ok you can write,, but your blog is like most sailing blogs - all about the places you visit or see. Very little about the actual sailing.

I guess it is a personal thing - I like to read about what is happening on the water also.

you can take a gander at our blog: svcapri.wordpress.com

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 18-07-2015, 08:11   #12

THANK YOU GafferMate, RobertSailor and carstenb! These comments and suggestions are exactly what I was hoping for. Things that I don't easily see because I'm too close to the screen. I agree with all three of you and will genuinely attempt to incorporate your suggestions. Thanks again.
Old 21-07-2015, 07:10   #13

Any other thoughts or comments? The ones already posted are excellent and I welcome more!
Old 21-07-2015, 07:23   #14

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

You are a good writer so all good. Putting in non-cruising life on land stuff with pictures pushes your "sailing" blog toward the "look at my great life" tone if this blog is directed toward cruisers. If it is directed toward family and close friends then no big deal.
Closed Thread