Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 11:25   #31

Boat: GibSea 472
Re: Opinion of Practical Sailor magazine?

I use to subscribe, for some years, a while ago: It was a good ideato get rid of all publicity and the links to commercial interests.
However, I stoped reading and contributing to to this publication mainly because:
1- Somewhat repetitive, or evaluations on things that are not signifiant for me at least.
2- But mostly, the evaluation methodology, the lack of scientific or low level of technical approch became boring after a time. As someone said before, now, you can find and share very good, up to date information, quality evaluation and practical experience on the net. And the idea of buying all sort of add ons is a bit anoying...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:51   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I've got to chuckle a bit here!

So if Fstbttm found a paint that worked so well that no scrubbing was ever needed, would you expect him to tell people about it?
If such a product existed, do you think my silence about it would keep it from being well known?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:56   #33

How about "good old boat" magazine? I felt some distance and subscription is
Expensive. Practical sailor, repeated topics some were not much updated but still fine. I am start debating about GOB attitude.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 17:59   #34

Like so many others, I subscribed many years ago when the magazine was new. But I soon formed the opinion that their "tests" of equipment were superficial and amateurish. Not much better than anecdotal information obtained around the yacht club bar.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 19:25   #35

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Not possible for any one to really review a book at beyound it's layout and it "sails" without spending a year or so on it!

Also no such thing as any writer not having a basis
Uh....what?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:14   #36

Boat: Scout 30

It's Consumer Reports for boaters. It's hard to believe any boater would have a problem with that. For anyone new to boating, especially it they're buying a boat &/or outfitting a boat, I strongly recommend it. The price of the subscription is mere pocket change compared to what we spend on our boats every year.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 07:42   #37

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3GAC View Post
While we are retiring from the cruising lifestyle, I considered Practical Sailor indispensable during the prep years and active cruising time. Just one mid-informed early decision can cost you $ 1000s of dollars of redo/ throw-away. And then there is a safety aspects that's hard to put a price on. As a career electronics person there is just no comparison between the fact based Practical Sailor reviews and the very often out of date/ misinformation from often well intending but really lacking the expertise, breath of experience, instrumentation to cover all the considerations that could be critical in some situations. This is not to say crowd input isn't valuable too, it is. And I read everything I can find before making big decisions, especially on items out of my training/ experience. But I have also ALWSYS included PS before making the final decision. PS too expensive. I don't think so at all.
That's pretty much how I see it too. Yes, like consumer reports, the vast majority of things they evaluate aren't things I'm interested in buying and a lot of the stuff they evaluate I'm already familiar with or it's repetitious, but if they help steer me in the right direction on one product just once a year, then I feel that's easily paid for my subscription. As some others here have mentioned, sometimes what they say is only pertinent about sailing in a particular area (bottom paint) and I feel that Panope has done much better job on this forum educating us about various anchors than PS has ever done and occasionally they turn out to be just plain wrong about a product, or maybe I should say a time or two they've seemed wrong to me. But overall, I feel like they are at least unbiased and make a good starting point when I begin to gather information about a product I'm considering. I can take whatever PS says about a product and bounce it off other sailors I know or on this forum until I'm confident I'm making the best decision I can and almost always I find that what they had to say about a product holds up pretty well. It's not the end-all source of info but I find it quite useful and well worth the price of my subscription.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17   #38

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

So I'm reading through this not-so-old email string on PS, considering getting a subscription (after a decade of reading Dad's cast-offs, it's time to maybe actually pay!). I was actually thinking that bottom paint was the counter to all the comments about getting your reviews and data from CF, or SA, or etc.

So, what is a better answer to the PS reviews on bottom paint? Or is it like Winston Churchill's comment that "democracy is the worst form of government ever invented - except all others." PS reviews on bottom paint suck, and there are no useful ones? Or is there a better source?

Harry
Rantum Scoot
'79 Sabre 34
Mill Creek, Annapolis
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:24   #39
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
PS reviews on bottom paint suck, and there are no useful ones? Or is there a better source?
The only truly useful anti fouling paint reviews come from those who actually maintain the product being used in real world conditions, day in and day out, for the entire lifespan of the paint. That is not going to be a printed periodical, it is not going to be a boatyard, it is not going to be an online source and (gasp!) it is not even going to be the boat owner.

The best, most accurate review and recommendation is going to come from an experienced local hull cleaner, of which there are many in your neck of the woods.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:00   #40

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

That's an interesting take. Unfortunately, I don't pay anyone to scrub my bottom (I hit it a bit during the summer when swimming, and that's about it), which makes asking a diver's opinion a bit of a challenge. Although I guess I could call a few and ask. Curious -- would you typically provide that answer to a cold-call?

Also wonder, do your customers normally give you the type of bottom paint and age, as well as cleaning history? In other words, if you were to dive my bottom, would you ask me what I'm using (and how would you write down "uhhh....ask Scott Marine, they put it on"). I'm happy -- my bottom lasts three years here on the Chesapeake, so I'll have him put it on again in 2018 when it comes out again.

To help out others, what is the best paint in San Francisco for a budget conscious cruiser (ie, lasts 2-3 years with one cleaning a year).

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:18   #41
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Curious -- would you typically provide that answer to a cold-call?
Yes, of course.

Quote:
Also wonder, do your customers normally give you the type of bottom paint and age, as well as cleaning history?
If they know it. And believe me, plenty do not.

Quote:
In other words, if you were to dive my bottom, would you ask me what I'm using (and how would you write down "uhhh....ask Scott Marine, they put it on"). I'm happy -- my bottom lasts three years here on the Chesapeake, so I'll have him put it on again in 2018 when it comes out again.
These questions are part of the conversation I have with every new customer. And yes, I have called boatyards to find out what they put on a particular bottom.

Quote:
To help out others, what is the best paint in San Francisco for a budget conscious cruiser (ie, lasts 2-3 years with one cleaning a year).
One cleaning a year? In San Franciso Bay? That's not a best management practice and certainly no way to save money. Boats out here need six cleanings a year. I can pretty much guarantee I'd be charging you extra.

That said, I only ever recommend two anti fouling paints: Pettit Trinidad and Interlux Micron 66. Nothing else comes close for anti fouling properties.
Old 13-03-2017, 07:28   #42

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

My biggest complaint with PS is their writing. I think these contributors must get paid by the word, or they just need to fill up the page. What can usually be described in three sentences is needlessly drawn out over three paragraphs. Drives me nuts.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:50   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
My biggest complaint with PS is their writing. I think these contributors must get paid by the word, or they just need to fill up the page. What can usually be described in three sentences is needlessly drawn out over three paragraphs. Drives me nuts.
When I don't care about the details of the test, I just skip to their conclusions and recommendations.
Old 13-06-2020, 12:08   #44

I am a professional captain, maintainer and repair tech. I like PS. I like that back issues are included online. I don't always agree with there opinions but they make me think about what I do like.
They do try to give an educated tested answer. I find online blogs are just one guys opinion and depending on the guy who knows what if its any good.
PS is a decent tool. Good old boat makes me feel good about my good old boats.
Flcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 07:58   #45

Boat: steel ketch; 54 foot

As of June 2024 they will no longer be a magazine.
I have subscribed for 6 years and will no long purchase their publication.
REASON ALL DIGITAL NO OPTION FOR PRINTED COPY.

Very sad.
vikingwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, gaz, sail