Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 09:38   #1

One Way Airfare Questions?

Hi Friends,
I am contemplating some invitations for crewing and all require some one way
airplane flights. Such as a Transatlantic cruise which would require a flight from
New York to Europe and then a flight from the BVI back to NY.
Or another cruise from New York to the BVI that would require a one way ticket
back to NY.
So my question is, What's the best and least expensive way to fly one way?
Secondly how to deal with the uncertainly of dates? I hate the 300.00
change fees.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:02   #2

Re: One Way Airfare Questions?

If going to Europe, fly to a major hub and train the rest. Fun cheap way to see western Europe and will be flexible if you leave earlyenough .
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 13:40   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You can buy open tickets, they cost more. Actually the suggestion above about train travel is right on. We enjoyed our ride on the TGV in France, and also on the older lines. They were how travel was done during WWII and before.

Ann
Old 28-09-2016, 14:15   #4

This is a very airline specific question.

Southwest has a very flexible change and cancelation policy on most flights. Most countries don't require a visa for us citizens but do require a return or continuation ticket. A popular way around this is to book a return ticket the day before departure, then cancel once you arrive in country.

I'm not sure about across the pond as most of the above info is based on the Caribbean and Central America. Also I've never had to pay a premium because of the one way.
dave948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 15:06   #5

Some countries require an outbound ticket prior to entry....Philippines for example.

Just something to be aware of.....
Old 28-09-2016, 15:41   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Some countries require an outbound ticket prior to entry....Philippines for example.

Just something to be aware of.....
Quite a few countries require proof of return transportation but even though a country might not require a return ticket, the airline you're flying might as you become their liability if you're not allowed in the country. For example, let's say your flying one-way to the country of Dumptruck but they don't like your looks and refuse you permissible to enter the country. It is now the airline you flew in on responsibility to return you to your original departure point. Airlines don't like flying people for free if they don't have to, hence their interest in your return ticket.

When my wife has flown home from various parts of the world, I've written a letter saying that she was returning to our boat to resume her duties, in case an airline questioned her flying on a one-way ticket. She has been questioned about it but she's never been denied permission to board a flight.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 15:57   #7

We have had crew and traditionally provided a letter from the Capt of SV xyz certifying the person was coming on as crew for a passage from Port X County X to Port Y to County Y. I a have also crewed and same thing. Never had a problem. We usually book once at new destination, usually find cheap one way seats back to NA using sites like cheapo air. Caribbean experiance. Have friends who have done one way flights into/out of Europe haven't heard of problems but no experience there.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 16:58   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

As others have said, it is both country and airline specific as to whether you will be allowed to fly to yacht without a return ticket.

Even with the officially stamped letter as Captain for my Super yacht crew, it was often a crap shoot....Ticket agent refused....pushed to supervisor level...they usually accepted. (Crew were advised to dress nice).

As a last resort after being denied by supervisor.. crew were instructed to buy a full price open one way return ticket and it was later cancelled and refunded without penalty.

With 16 crew each travelling a few times per year...the issue was always at Departure. Never once did they have a problem at arrival as long as their visa was in order.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 17:00   #9

Boat: Pearson 367

I have found some pretty good deals using Google Flights and cheapoair. I am in the same situation. I've purchased my one way ticket to Europe and I will purchase my return ticket when I get to the Caribbean.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 19:04   #10

There are so many LCC to buy cheap tickets and even Major airlines will dump last minutes tickets to discount travel site to fill up seats such as Kayak and etc.
If your needs are international flights and outside of states, use Apps, "Skysccaner", this apps works very well and good tool to find a discount ticket, even show when will be cheaper compare with other date and times. ( works in states well, too).

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 19:54   #11

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

after being hit with multiple fees for changing tickets when arriving too late or too early on a sailboat I no longer buy these tickets ahead of time. It has turned out to be cheaper in the end to just buy the one way ticket when I get wherever I am going.

And Pelagic is exactly right that it is on Departure that you have problems. However, I have discovered that your don't necessarily need a round trip ticket back home. You just need a ticket out of the country you are flying to so that it is no longer the airline's problem. So, for example, if Jet Blue wont let you go from NY to St. Lucia one way you dont need a return ticket to NY. You only need a ticket from St. Lucia to anywhere else to make them happy. The cheapest happens to be a LIAT flight to the next island. Once you are out of the country Jet Blue brought you to they no longer care. They just dont want to get in trouble for you not having a ticket out of there (to wherever).
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 20:34   #12

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
after being hit with multiple fees for changing tickets when arriving too late or too early on a sailboat I no longer buy these tickets ahead of time. It has turned out to be cheaper in the end to just buy the one way ticket when I get wherever I am going.

And Pelagic is exactly right that it is on Departure that you have problems. However, I have discovered that your don't necessarily need a round trip ticket back home. You just need a ticket out of the country you are flying to so that it is no longer the airline's problem. So, for example, if Jet Blue wont let you go from NY to St. Lucia one way you dont need a return ticket to NY. You only need a ticket from St. Lucia to anywhere else to make them happy. The cheapest happens to be a LIAT flight to the next island. Once you are out of the country Jet Blue brought you to they no longer care. They just dont want to get in trouble for you not having a ticket out of there (to wherever).
Great point, My destination is Spain but I can get a $20 flight to Paris through Ryan Air if I need to.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Hi Friends,
I am contemplating some invitations for crewing and all require some one way
airplane flights. Such as a Transatlantic cruise which would require a flight from
New York to Europe and then a flight from the BVI back to NY.
Or another cruise from New York to the BVI that would require a one way ticket
back to NY.
So my question is, What's the best and least expensive way to fly one way?
Secondly how to deal with the uncertainly of dates? I hate the 300.00
change fees.
Cheers
Neil
There is a Ft. Lauderdale travel agency that specializes in travel arrangements for marine seamen. You qualify if you are crewing. I'm not sure if they have a special arrangement with airlines or what, but they have come up with the lowest airfares for me and they are changeable. The website is Marine / Seaman ticket - Marine Travel - ISS GMT. I have no association with them other than I've used them a couple times and have saved money. I was referred to them by professional yacht crew who use them a lot. Good luck and have a great trip!
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:11   #14

Boat: Island Packet 420

I am flying home from Spain as I write this. I have researched fares and find that you can fly cheaply in and out of Spain if you are willing to deal with a few inconveniences. You can fly from Madrid to Iceland and then to the US cheaply, I forget the airline right now, but a search on Kayak should help you. You can also fly cheaply to Gatwick and get cheap flights to NYC from there. I have booked return flights from one way sails way in advance giving myself plenty of time- like 2 weeks- to account for timing issues. Search using the more "underused" airports for cheaper flights.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 09:16   #15

Quote:
I forget the airline right now, but a search on Kayak should help you.
Icelandic WOW

Purple airplanes....seen them in SFO