Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 09:17   #16

Boat: Van Dam Nordia 49'
Re: One Way Airfare Questions?

I guess I'm missing something...
I travel from my home in Phoenix to Europe at least 2 times a year and never once have I found a one way ticket to be cheaper then a round trip ticket (unless it was on a very low cost airline with very long flight times). The difference is sometimes very dramatic. If at all possible I will try to book the return ticket far enough out that I can attempt to make use of it by paying the $100 change fee (British Air) to change the departure date. But if not I just let it expire. I just went online to check the cost of a ticket on British Air for another flight I need and the round trip was $882 while the one-way was $2215. On "Cheap O Air" The only one way flights that were cheaper then the round trips was on West Jet which had a flight that was 19 hours long verses the 10 hours on BA Total savings was about $200 so If your 19 and your backpacking around the world, have at it. But if your over 50 (ahem) the bit more is well worth it. Besides most of the low cost quotes are very limited on airlines that have very restricted routes. The purchasing of one-way low cost tickets within Europe is much easier then international flights so I agree with the CoolDave's idea of taking a jaunt back to your arrival port if possible. Ryan Air is pretty ok for that.
BenFranklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:08   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Hi Friends,
So my question is, What's the best and least expensive way to fly one way?
The cheapest way to pay for your flight is to let the skipper pay for it...works for me!

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:13   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Secondly how to deal with the uncertainly of dates?
Do you best guess of your passage time...remember 1000 miles per week...then add an extra week. If you arrive in good time, you get a few days to enjoy the destination. Nothing worse than everyone rushing to the airport the minute you arrive. It will be great to enjoy your arrival, and your new port with your crew/friends. As a bonus, you can do a big cleanup of the boat, and repairs. After a long passage, the boat will certainly need both...why not keep your crew around for that!

Also, since you mention its an atlantic crossing, so likely you will go pre-xmas, as many boats do....plan to fly on Dec 24 or Dec 25...these are the cheapest days of the entire year to fly. I flew from Antigua to Toronto on Dec 24 for a crazy low fare. This might actually solve both your questions!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:40   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Two suggestions--- as others have said have a letter from the Captain or owner of the vessel explaining that you are crewing a departure. Include in the letter where the vessel is lying and anticipated departure date. The issue will be more with customs/immigration than the airlines. Keep in mind you are not the first person ever to do this!

Flying home- as soon as you get cell service start calling or surfing. It may take a day or two to make port and clear in. Why not use that time to wait out a cheaper ticket?

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:25   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

In my experience the lower cost of round trip is mostly a thing of the past. Seems like round trip is double the one way ticket, so I just buy my one way ticket 14 days prior to the flight.
Old 29-09-2016, 11:41   #21

Quote:
In my experience the lower cost of round trip is mostly a thing of the past.
Not my experience on international flights out of Europe / back to Europe.
I have the same experience as BenFranklyn ...

I buy seaman (oneway) tickets often at the same price as the cheapest online round-trip price of the same airline because I would throw away the return ticket anyhow (as an advantage you still have 2x 23kg allowance as a seaman for checked-in baggage with some airlines).

'Regular one-way' otherwise most often would be x3 the round-trip price for me ...

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 13:09   #22

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Round-trip tickets can be less expensive then one-way. Saved several hundred dollars once buying a round-trip flight to Europe and took a ship on return. Use the outbound (earlier) lrh and not the return portion of the airline ticket. Mid-week is usually the cheapest. Rates can fluctuate minute-by-minute. If you find a good buy, it probably won't be there next time you check.
Old 29-09-2016, 14:57   #23

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

There is no set rules. You just need to play with Kayak or other sites to get the best deal. Sometimes I even break the trip up and book the legs separately.

For example: Fly from Nuuk Grrenland to Iceland to PhL is about $2500 one way. If you book flight from Nuuk to Iceland and then book another flight from Iceland to Philly, the total is $950. It is crazy.

Just let your keyboard do the walking and find the best deal. Oh yeah, I only do one way flight.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote