Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 16:56   #1

Boat: 32 contessa
one for the east coat Australians How to find the owner of a moored Yacht

Hi all , I have been keeping an eye on a Yacht for 3 years now , progressivly over the last 18 months or so the boat is getting in a bad way , the bottom has 6 inches grass swaying in the tidal water the boom has been laying on the deck and lines hanging in the river we were there 2 hours and the bilge pump came on twice for about 1 and a half minuets ,the solar must be keeping the battery going ,, but for how much longer ,
i know surcumstance some times stops people ,, but i would like to be able to find the owner maybe to purchase if the owner has lost interest or maybe if the owner is unwell or getting older maybe i can help them out and give thehull a quick scrub and stop the maritime giving a "non complyance notice"
so i wonder who i contact ?
MSB wont help , I have posted a note on the Yacht but after a year its still there untouched , i have asked other boat owners with no luck .

South coast NSW AUSTRALIA

just a edit to let people know why i would help the owner for free ,
I had my 24 huntsman moored on the shoalhaven river , my wife got cancer and i just couldnt get to my boat for 6 months as we moved to sydney near the hospital anyhow after 3 months i got a call from a friend that said the maritime was looking at the Huntsman ,,, he said i can call a mate to check on her ,, i thanked greg and he passed my number on , barry kept an eye on my boat and never asked for a cent , i would like to do the same for another boatie ,,,
Cheers all happy sailing
Rob VK2LOZ
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 19:28   #2

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Re: one for the east coat Australians How to find the owner of a moored Yacht

Have you tried the local VMR (volunteer marine rescue ) they love to keep a database including mobile number?
Old 20-09-2017, 20:53   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

That's a lovely offer, Rob. I don't know why maritime safety board wouldn't help. Maybe they need the info on the tag on the buoy to run it down?

I don't know if it would be on our path on our way south for summer in Tassie, but if we can help, let us know. Send either Jim or me a PM.

By the way, don't know if you participate in ham radio nets, but there is one here that we do. If you're interested, when you write, Jim or I can tell you about it.

Ann
(Jim is vk4gft, here n9gft in the States)
Old 20-09-2017, 21:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Have you tried the local VMR (volunteer marine rescue ) they love to keep a database including mobile number?
Hi , Yes i tried the MSB but they say its a privacy issue ,,
Old 20-09-2017, 23:22   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Then, what you need to say is something like, would you please phone them and ask them if if it's okay to give me their phone number, or ask them to call you. Then you might be able to get something started.

Good luck with it, anyway.

Ann
Old 20-09-2017, 23:39   #6

Does boat or its dinghy, if it has one, have a rego number? You can do a search to see it is still paid up.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 01:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Does boat or its dinghy, if it has one, have a rego number? You can do a search to see it is still paid up.
Hi ,
It is still regod ,
My solisitor said i should bump into the boat (softly ) then report the crash to the police then they will pass on my details ,,,
Dont think i want to go that far <<
HAHA

thanks everyone
Old 21-09-2017, 10:36   #8

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

As my mum's husband used to tell me, it is not what you know, but who you know, that counts. While I do not fully agree, this could be one of those times when it would apply. Clearly, the information is available, but apparently privacy and perhaps other considerations prevent it from being officially disseminated to you. So the question becomes, do you or any of your pals have a friend with legitimate access who might, for a good cause, quietly allow the information to slip through his, or her, fingers? Perhaps someone with an environmental or safety interest related to the vessel's deteriorating condition. Yours is a noble purpose, and it sounds as if you are engaging in the tradition of "paying it forward." Good luck.
Old 21-09-2017, 13:05   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
Hi all , I have been keeping an eye on a Yacht for 3 years now , progressivly over the last 18 months or so the boat is getting in a bad way , the bottom has 6 inches grass swaying in the tidal water the boom has been laying on the deck and lines hanging in the river we were there 2 hours and the bilge pump came on twice for about 1 and a half minuets ,the solar must be keeping the battery going ,, but for how much longer ,
i know surcumstance some times stops people ,, but i would like to be able to find the owner maybe to purchase if the owner has lost interest or maybe if the owner is unwell or getting older maybe i can help them out and give thehull a quick scrub and stop the maritime giving a "non complyance notice"
so i wonder who i contact ?
MSB wont help , I have posted a note on the Yacht but after a year its still there untouched , i have asked other boat owners with no luck .

South coast NSW AUSTRALIA

just a edit to let people know why i would help the owner for free ,
I had my 24 huntsman moored on the shoalhaven river , my wife got cancer and i just couldnt get to my boat for 6 months as we moved to sydney near the hospital anyhow after 3 months i got a call from a friend that said the maritime was looking at the Huntsman ,,, he said i can call a mate to check on her ,, i thanked greg and he passed my number on , barry kept an eye on my boat and never asked for a cent , i would like to do the same for another boatie ,,,
Cheers all happy sailing
Rob VK2LOZ
A very nice offer. Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 13:39   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A privacy issue?
Here in the States, even when there are privacy issues, you can always write a note, put it in an envelope with postage and your return address, and ask someone to send it on to the party in question. That way, the identify of the party is still totally concealed from you, but the party gets your message.
This has been done for hundreds of years, it is nothing new or complicated.

But in the case of motor vehicles and documented vessels, the registry information is, depending on state, either a public record that can be accessed by all, or a public record that can be accessed on request, with the identity of the requester being recorded. For a federally documented boat we can look it up online for free. For a state registered automobile, we typically pay $10 to the DMV and file a request.

But get the numbers from the boat, and suggest that someone really CAN protect privacy and still either make a phone call, or forward your letter. It really can be that simple. You may need to motivate them by suggesting that if the vessel sinks, and the owner finds that happened because that person did not forward the message to them, that obstinate person might be at fault.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:08   #11

hi all and thanks for the great ideas ,,
My solicitor will make a few inquiries today and see what happens ,
I didn't want to go down to the MSB and get the owner in the spotlight , i wouldn't be happy if it happened to me ,, so I'm treading light ,
I will keep all informed on the outcome , if i get to help the owner out i will take some before and after Hull pic`s ,

we have 30 c temps today with 20 kn. wind ,,,, guess where I'm heading ,,,
have a top day all
Rob
vk2loz
Old 21-09-2017, 14:22   #12

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Over the years i've called msb (now rms) a few times to contact owners of boats that were sinking -most often the owners have shown up pretty promptly and taken measures to secure the vessel. I chatted to the local rms bloke awhile ago about one vessel that had been left on a 24 hour courtesy mooring for over a year and he told me they had been unable to contact the owner – eventually they towed it away to scrap but the legal process for them to do so took that long. I'd say if you left a note on the boat and got no response, that's pretty much an end to it...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:44   #13

Boat: Farr 1020

Many years ago, I was interested in a Folkboat moored in our bay. I took the rego number and called what is nowadays called RMS. Nothing to do with safety, I wanted to buy.
They told me to email them and they would pass the request on.
I did, providing a simps "Re xxxxx, I see she appears unattended and would be interested in purchasing, if ...." giving my contact details.
Received an acknowledgement from RMS and a week later, a short, unaddressed note from the owner saying he was not interested. That weekend, I saw him, plus 3 kids and a woman climb on board, 6 months later, met the new owner.
OK, it did not work out for me to purchase, but I did get acknowledgement and an unused boat gets a new owner - old owner upgraded ! Never met him again.

Moral of the story is that the BSOs do have the ability to track owners and if you get a good one, they will forward the request. We have a good one on Pittwater.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Over the years i've called msb (now rms) a few times to contact owners of boats that were sinking -most often the owners have shown up pretty promptly and taken measures to secure the vessel. I chatted to the local rms bloke awhile ago about one vessel that had been left on a 24 hour courtesy mooring for over a year and he told me they had been unable to contact the owner – eventually they towed it away to scrap but the legal process for them to do so took that long. I'd say if you left a note on the boat and got no response, that's pretty much an end to it...
but i dont want to get the RMS biting the owners butt ,,,
Old 21-09-2017, 14:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
Many years ago, I was interested in a Folkboat moored in our bay. I took the rego number and called what is nowadays called RMS. Nothing to do with safety, I wanted to buy.
They told me to email them and they would pass the request on.
I did, providing a simps "Re xxxxx, I see she appears unattended and would be interested in purchasing, if ...." giving my contact details.
Received an acknowledgement from RMS and a week later, a short, unaddressed note from the owner saying he was not interested. That weekend, I saw him, plus 3 kids and a woman climb on board, 6 months later, met the new owner.
OK, it did not work out for me to purchase, but I did get acknowledgement and an unused boat gets a new owner - old owner upgraded ! Never met him again.

Moral of the story is that the BSOs do have the ability to track owners and if you get a good one, they will forward the request. We have a good one on Pittwater.
Roger
I contacted the RMS without giving the rego of the boat as i didnt want the RMS giving the owner a hard time ,,,
My solisitor will give it a crack today if no luck then will just wait and see ,,
Thanks

Tags
Australia, yacht