Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 07:42   #61

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: Oldest European Settlement in US

Tropicalxxxxx is the only account I minded banning in this forum :-)

I found I made the right decision, whatever is the topics discussed :-)

Peace & Love to all of us.

Well... I found the Vikings being intrepid discoverers, yet it is indisputable that it was after Columbus only, that discovery triggered an economic and historical revolution.
Old 25-02-2016, 07:42   #62

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
- snip -

Also Farley Mowat wrote a book where he hypothesized an earlier settlement than Viking. Openly speculative in nature.

- snip -
Speculative, indeed. Farley Mowat was a very entertaining author, but he never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Old 25-02-2016, 07:47   #63

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
" pre-dating Clovis" this is hitting the nail on the head ..Clovis first is like saying "Chevy Corvette first"......or are there folks that really believe that the first car ever made was a "Chevy Corvette"?
It seems kind of a strange logic to me
Old 25-02-2016, 08:05   #64

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Living here in Newfoundland I have grown up with and was taught in school all about the Viking establishment in l'anse aux meadows and our so called "rich" history of Portuguese, English and French continually fighting up and down the coast for the best piece of land to harvest the organic gold at the time (Cod).
St. John’s NL, were I was born, promotes itself as the oldest English city in North America, ....
Certainly a busy port much before the foundation of the city:

"St. John's is one of the oldest settlements in North America, with year-round settlement beginning sometime after 1630 ....

The earliest record of the location appears as São João on a Portuguese map by Pedro Reinel in 1519. When John Rut visited St. John's in 1527 he found Norman, Breton and Portuguese ships in the harbour
."

There are several theories about the origin of the port's name, mainly that it was given by the Italian Cabot or by Basque fishermen (San Juan in Spanish).
Old 25-02-2016, 08:15   #65

The Portuguese were intrepid sailors long before the 14th century. Most of their sailing logs, maps, and routes were kept secret for centuries well before Christoper was a baby. Henry the Navigator used a lot of those old documents to develop a world class(at the time) sailing fleet. More than likely they bummed around north and south America, probably misbehaving in politically incorrect manners. Big thing was following the fishing grounds, and one of the biggest was the Grand Banks, which really are grand if your a fish.
Old 25-02-2016, 08:20   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Tropicalxxxxx is the only account I minded banning in this forum :-)

I found I made the right decision, whatever is the topics discussed :-)

Peace & Love to all of us.

Well... I found the Vikings being intrepid discoverers, yet it is indisputable that it was after Columbus only, that discovery triggered an economic and historical revolution.
"Ignorance is blissful" huh?
Old 25-02-2016, 08:21   #67

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

In resume, nothing is more fascinating than discoveries and civilization after an arrival by the sea. It's kind of magic.

No Bering strait crossing, nor primeval crossing of no more than 50 to 70 homo faber individuals spreading out of africa, are equally suggestive..
Old 25-02-2016, 08:36   #68

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I think some some North East North American indian tribes would have had traces of Nordic genes if the Vikings made it this far.... I can see a stray Viking ship making it to North America... but the chances of getting back were slim. Vikings were Coastal Cruisers like some of the people in here.... too much Blue Water for a Viking boat in a North Atlantic gale... It sure helps tourism to say Vikings landed on a spot in America.... I think we should remain incredulous.
Old 25-02-2016, 08:45   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oldest European Settlement in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
I think some some North East North American indian tribes would have had traces of Nordic genes if the Vikings made it this far.... I can see a stray Viking ship making it to North America... but the chances of getting back were slim. Vikings were Coastal Cruisers like some of the people in here.... too much Blue Water for a Viking boat in a North Atlantic gale... It sure helps tourism to say Vikings landed on a spot in America.... I think we should remain incredulous.

And so continues the modern white ignorance that dismisses out of hand ancient legends and histories because we all Know that modern civilisation had its founding in ancient Greece..
I mean.. how an earth can some ragheads and heathens be more advanced or knowledgeable than us.. get real..
Keep feeding the ego's boyz...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:10   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I thought is was pretty well accepted that civilization began in Mesopotamia or maybe Egypt, but Greece was the beginning of a modern form of government?

On edit I believe I have heard Greece refereed to as the birthplace of "Western" civilization?
Old 25-02-2016, 09:32   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

And so continues the modern white ignorance that dismisses out of hand ancient legends and histories because we all Know that modern civilisation had its founding in ancient Greece..
I mean.. how an earth can some ragheads and heathens be more advanced or knowledgeable than us.. get real..
Keep feeding the ego's boyz...
Geepers, creepers, don't you know that we all are from K-Pak? First founders arrived by spaceship many moons ago. Way before Greece existed.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:38   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just to season the sauce a bit, I'll throw this tid bit out there....

I was reading a bio of Maggellen that had some translated quotes from his log. He was discussing his decision to hole up for the winter in the bay where the mutiny occurred. He noted that he wanted to set out the winter in this bay and then proceed through the strait in the spring.

How did he know there was a strait ahead of him?
Old 25-02-2016, 09:40   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Just to season the sauce a bit, I'll throw this tid bit out there....

I was reading a bio of Maggellen that had some translated quotes from his log. He was discussing his decision to hole up for the winter in the bay where the mutiny occurred. He noted that he wanted to set out the winter in this bay and then proceed through the strait in the spring.

How did he know there was a strait ahead of him?
Well, Duh, he looked at a map.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:47   #74

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
And your comments above, Farmer, are equally incredulous based on historical fact.
Old 25-02-2016, 09:49   #75

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
In resume, nothing is more fascinating than discoveries and civilization after an arrival by the sea. It's kind of magic.-----
For anyone who hasn't read it, I heartily recommend "1491" by Charles C. Mann. Very interesting, and tragic if true.

Tags
Europe, men, rope