Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2015, 10:53   #1

Older boats in marinas

I’ve been reading James Elfers book “Bluewater Sailing on a Budget (2014)“ Not finished yet, but at one point he mentions where a number of newer marinas are not allowing boats older than 30 years, regardless of condition.

Has anyone encountered this, and if so what part of the world?

If this is a trend it will affect my purchase criteria quite a bit.

Thanx
-sterling

Old 04-02-2015, 12:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Older boats in marinas

That is VERY common in both mobile home parks and RV parks. The intent is to keep their park looking nice and up-scale. Usually ten years though is the age
I have never been asked the age of my RV though as truth is the parks don't care about age, they just want to keep the Beverly Hillbillies out and age of the RV is about the only way they can. Show up in a well cared for, good looking RV and that is all that matters.
I bet the same for marina's

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 04-02-2015, 12:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Never encountered this in the SW Pacific area. Here in TAsmania, there are lots of >50 year old boats and some > 100 year vets. They are prized, not shunned here.

Jim
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28   #4

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Our Marina doesn't seem to care about our 55 year old boat. Of course it looks better than a few 10-20 year old boats down the dock from us. Same point as the guy with the RV's. If you show up in a nicely cared for boat in good condition in my neck of the woods it woudn't be a problem. Glossy topsides, moderately clean decks, lines and halyards not strewn about you should be ok. I also find a nice glossy deep varnish job on the toerails turns alot of heads too.

Now I do know in some areas of the country/world they like to keep the marina's as playgrounds for the rich and famous... If that's the case they are just looking for people to crap on. Even in our marina, where I know the harbour master well he is a nice guy and treats everyone well, there is the A+B docks. In this "high rent" district you will not find a foul head odor in the lot of boats as none of their $hi# stinks. They don't like anyone not from those two docks using [I]their[I] bathrooms. As when the marina had the bathrooms renovated they of course got nicer tile, better fixtures ect ect.

This of course is a marina association where the slips are like condo's you buy and pay owner fees on. The ego's of alot of the people at that end are something to behold. I mean I get it you have a 60ft dock and a 50ft MY that leaves the dock twice a year good for you! Going to the marina board meetings is a joke it sounds like an elementary school yard fight. These are the same people that ran the Yacht Club at the marina into bankruptcy because they didn't want to let none owners in, or even people in 30ft slips. They wanted a $5000 membership fee plus having to be sponsored by two members, and a 2 year probationary period. The year before the bank foreclosed they were putting out signs and flyers saying there was no longer a membership fee ect, one year free membership.... Now there the building sits vacant for 5 years bringing down all of our slip values and the pool is now a swamp.

(rant over coming around to consciousness) You'll find if the marina doesn't want you then you probably don't want to be there or know the people there, as a general rule. Move along there are plenty out there.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28   #5

I've never noticed any requirement like this at marinas. They'd be losing a lot of business for no particularly good reason.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

When I applied for a slip at the Marina in Alameda, got a sour look when I said the boat was 40 years old. They explained that they had too many derelict boats in the marina and didn't want more. Just showed them a photo and they were ok by it. Apparently no official policy but an effort to keep the marina environment more upscale.
Old 04-02-2015, 22:53   #7
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I have never heard of that one before. I have had to show pictures.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:15   #8
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

I have heard of that policy but they don't have it at my marina. Like others, I suspect it's a way to keep the place attractive to new customers and reduce the chances of abandoned boats or sinking and leaking boats. By placing an age limit on boats, the dockmaster is relieved of the decision of whose boat is too poorly kept to stay at the marina.

Remember, most marinas are private businesses and the owners have the same right to make rules as you do in your own home.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:59   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I have been given priority berthing and free berthing as an 'old boat' but never turned away. Probably can't afford the dock fees at places that would consider it.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
These are the same people that ran the Yacht Club at the marina into bankruptcy because they didn't want to let none owners in, or even people in 30ft slips. They wanted a $5000 membership fee plus having to be sponsored by two members, and a 2 year probationary period. The year before the bank foreclosed they were putting out signs and flyers saying there was no longer a membership fee ect, one year free membership.... Now there the building sits vacant for 5 years bringing down all of our slip values and the pool is now a swamp.
Undoubtedly "Captains of Industry." eace :
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

An older/low value boat written policy exists at my marina. The problem is that older boats, especially older wood boats have little value. Having less value, they tend to get abandoned more often. When they are abandoned the Harbor Master then has to put a lien on the boat. (time and money) If the lien is not paid the Harbor Master has to go to court to get possession of the boat. (time and money) With the low value, there is no money to be made in selling the boat. There are also fewer buyers of old wood boats. So what happen is the Harbor Master has to pay to have the boat chainsawed, put in a dumpster and hauled off to a waste disposal site. This cost thousands of dollars.

The solution where I am berthed is that the Harbor Master requires a disposal fee deposit to be paid up front in order to keep older/low value boats at the marina.

I think that is fair, otherwise marina owners get screwed by abandoned boats.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:17   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Just reminded me of St Lucia. On one side of the harbour multi-million $ condo's on the other tin shacks to basic housing. All the best food and fun was not among the condo's. The French developed a machine to deal with such people in bulk, very effective and the benefits are still evident hundreds of years later. About time for another cull?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:26   #13

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Never run into an age limitation here in the northeast and have spent time at Long Island, Massachusett, RI, and CT marinas. Where I have run into the issue of boat age is when considering financing. BoatUS will not finance any boat 30 years or older, mine is a 1978.
thanks
Dave
Old 05-02-2015, 10:23   #14

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Our marina is one of the newest in the area and we have boats of all ages and conditions, including a restored steamship and a sailboat probably from the same era that is currently being broken down at dock.

The real issue is getting insurance for the older boats and the marina's require the insurance....but that might have been because we wanted comprehensive on our home, thank you very much!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I ran into that issue at "Almar" marina in Ventura, on the west coast of the US.. as they have a 20 year limmit. told them the the date on the "Doc" papers were wrong.. They took a look at the boat and said OK.
They were also the first place I've ever stayed that they came to the boat with a tape to measure the overall length of the boat..

Tags
marinas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: