Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36   #1

Old steel boat insurance options

As title states would love to hear some suggestions on where I can get the insurance card required to go anywhere in the states for an older boat

62. Canadian Northern yawl. Previous owner had a ultrasound that I do not have with the numbers still written on the metal so I really don't want to pay for a haul out and ultrasound that would approach 25percent of the boat cost in hopes that is not just their excuse to avoid a low ticket price insurance.

Appreciate suggestions. I am unable to acquire the old ultrasound.

Frank
rfrankb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 13:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Old steel boat insurance options

You only need liability insurance. Should be able to get that irregardless of the age and condition of boat. Try Boat US and Progressive. Have had liability insurance from them on older FRP boats without a survey.

Markel has given me full coverage on my 46 year old FRP boat but it took a survey to get it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:40   #3

I'll look into progressive again. Boat US wanted a survey and ultrasound for insurance
rfrankb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 03:26   #4

Boat: Ganley Shadow 34 -Steel sloop for bluewater cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrankb4 View Post
so I really don't want to pay for a haul out and ultrasound that would approach 25percent of the boat cost in hopes that is not just their excuse to avoid a low ticket price insurance.

Frank
You have to forget about the original cost of the boat, unless your only intention is to sell it onwards at the earliest opportunity. Inspecting and looking after the boat is an investment in your future with the boat.

I am not US based so I can't comment on Insurance requirements but I do know I'll be getting my steel boat surveyed once we finish the build - Hauling out and checking is a good move.

I used to have a boat I didn't want to lift out, so we leant her up against the harbour wall and dried her out for inspection, cleaning and painting. It was inconvenient, tricky and required lightening activity until the tide came back, but it was very cheap.
indiana_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 04:29   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Not to be overly nosy, but what kind of fee are you looking at for a new sounding, where, & by whom? And part of my asking is because of your comments on it's cost vs. that of the vessel. Plus, I'm doing a bit of boat shopping, & metal, of one sort or another, may be on the "menu".
Thanks

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 04:39   #6

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

You could very easily buy the ultrasound gear and do it your self for under 500 dollars.... its not rocket science.

There are lots of youtube videos on how to do it

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 10:05   #7

Doing your own ultra sound is a good thing, but I doubt that any insurance company would accept a self survey, even just for liability. It actually takes a good knowledge of steel boat construction to know where to do the testing. If you are an inch off, you can miss paper thin metal. You can not possibly grind the whole boat to bare metal , and test every square inch. Marinas require insurance so that if your old boat catches fire and burns 3 other boat, they dont get stuck with the bills. I hate insurance companies, but I understand the Marinas concern. Just my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, steel