Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 10:42   #16

Re: OK to go to Cuba if you are a US Citizen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
It's not illegal for a US Citizen to go to Cuba, according to a lawyer here. It's only illegal for a US Citizen to spend US dollars in Cuba.
Technically, true. If you are there for more than four hours, however, they consider it prima facie evidence that you have spent money. So, only for the very shortest of short visits are you going to get away with claiming, "But I didn't spend any money!"
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 11:20   #17

Quote:
It's not illegal for a US Citizen to go to Cuba, according to a lawyer here. It's only illegal for a US Citizen to spend US dollars in Cuba. So, technically, if you had engine problems and pulled in and dropped the hook while you fixed them and didn't spend money or charge things, and then left Cuba and checked into the Turks and Caicos, or Haiti, or the Dominican Republic, or the Bahamas or all of the above, you'd be below the radar.
So in theory - As a US Citizen I can exchange my dollars for Deutschmarks (or South African Krugerrands, whatever) go to Cuba and buy all the rum and cigars I want, and it'd be legal?
Deaf Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 11:45   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Totally agree. Not only stupid but pointless and achieves nothing. We have an economic embargo against Cuba but trade with many countries with much worse human rights records.

It is course strictly politics and nothing more than a ploy to win the Cuban expat vote in south Florida.

No No, stay away Yankee devils, its about the last place left without US fast food joints .

dave
Old 20-08-2014, 12:14   #19

Boat: Able 50

For a couple of years Obama was quite positive about relaxing restrictions on trade and travel to Cuba but then went quiet. on the subject. Chances are some lobbyists got to him. The Fanjuls would be a good place to look for a source and they are, you're not going to believe this, CUBAN.

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 12:35   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Sailor View Post
So in theory - As a US Citizen I can exchange my dollars for Deutschmarks (or South African Krugerrands, whatever) go to Cuba and buy all the rum and cigars I want, and it'd be legal?
Of course not. The currency is irrelevant: you are prohibited from "trading with the enemy", where "enemy" is defined as Cuba. But a large part of the embargo does close access from Cuba to US banking, including credit cards and their processing.

Past time to end the farce.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 12:47   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
I was wondering if it is ok to sail to Cuba directly from a US port or do you have to play games and sail from a "foreign" port nearby. Thanks!
Easy to go to Cuba!

Coming back is the real issue.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:10   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

makes me laugh... I know loads of Americans who go regularly to Cuba for fun n frolics... oh hang on a minute they all live in Mexico

cheers,
JJT
jolly jack tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Sailor View Post
No, you are still a US citizen and you are still contributing value to the Cuban economy. Doesn't matter what currency you spend. Would not even matter if you earned the money in Germany you are still not supposed to spend it in Cuba.

However, since Deutschmarks are no longer currency and have no value then maybe you could get away with spending them in Cuba. Of course they might lock you up for it down there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:22   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No No, stay away Yankee devils, its about the last place left without US fast food joints .

dave

Not to worry. Been over 40 years since I ate any variety of fast food and I promise never to take it with me wherever I may go.

On the other hand, I was in Belgium on business a couple of years ago and my EU distributor took me to McDonalds for lunch. At least over there they had a nice salad as an option.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:38   #25

Dead horse topics are fun.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:45   #26
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

It's "dead horse" for those of you stuck in the US because you allow it to be done to you. Like you've been brainwashed about how much better 4 stroke outboards are. And that everybody in the world wants desperately to move to the USA. And that the police are so threatened that they all need armored vehicles and hollow point bullets.

You'd be surprised how many US Citizens are going to Cuba, in defiance of whatever you think is a "dead horse".

What I like about these discussions is when people chime in with things like 'shut up this has all be discussed before in another thread!' like they somehow get to monitor and approve what other people want to talk about here. And I'd say that obviously, a few of us are not that interested in your old threads and would like to discuss it today. Thanks for your concern.

Makes me want to ask "then why the hell did you click on this?" if you no longer have any interest in it and nothing new can be added. As for the rules on going to Cuba, I think I'll stick with what the immigration lawyer told me.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:49   #27

Boat: Able 50

People love train wrecks
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:56   #28

Quote:
It's "dead horse" for those of you stuck in the US because you allow it to be done to you. Like you've been brainwashed about how much better 4 stroke outboards are. And that everybody in the world wants desperately to move to the USA. And that the police are so threatened that they all need armored vehicles and hollow point bullets.

You'd be surprised how many US Citizens are going to Cuba, in defiance of whatever you think is a "dead horse".

What I like about these discussions is when people chime in with things like 'shut up this has all be discussed before in another thread!' like they somehow get to monitor and approve what other people want to talk about here. And I'd say that obviously, a few of us are not that interested in your old threads and would like to discuss it today. Thanks for your concern.

Makes me want to ask "then why the hell did you click on this?" if you no longer have any interest in it and nothing new can be added. As for the rules on going to Cuba, I think I'll stick with what the immigration lawyer told me.
Here we go %eating Popcorn%....
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:58   #29

Quote:

Look man, calm down and get over the butt hurt of someone calling an impassioned topic a dead horse. I didn't say it was a dead horse because I agreed or disagreed with it. That is your problem. I called it a dead horse because it is continually discussed. Over and Over, as other people in the thread pointed out.
Old 20-08-2014, 14:12   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As for the rules on going to Cuba, I think I'll stick with what the immigration lawyer told me.
There is absolutely no question that what your lawyer told you is exactly correct. It is not illegal to visit Cuba, it is only illegal to contribute in any way to the Cuban economy.

But on a practical basis, since it is impossible to visit Cuba without contributing to the Cuban economy IE spending money, then there is no legal way to visit Cuba as a tourist.

So it isn't illegal, just is not possible to do it legally. Just the kind of thing that lawyers love and how they make all the money.

Tags
Cuba