Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 10:04   #1

Boat: TBD
OK, strange question perhaps - Taxes

Over the years I've heard people talk about selling their homes and buying a sailboat. My question is about capital gains (boring as hell right?)

If you sell your home and buy a boat wouldn't you need to pay capital gains tax on the home?
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:11   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: OK, strange question perhaps - Taxes

Some portion of the gain may be offset depending on the circumstances. Boats are an expense not an investment unless you are a broker flipping 5 gallon overhauls.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:22   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I'm not sure I'd call it a 'strange question' as a misplaced one. The tax implications depend on a number of issues you don't mention but asking here is the wrong venue to depend on the answers. Suffice it to say no one here can give you the correct answer for your situation. Based on incomplete info.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:25   #4

It used to be your boat (if living aboard) could be a home. And at one time could be considered a second home. Not sure if that's still the case. Ask who does your taxes.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:03   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

You live in the US, right?

If so, the IRS says you only pay tax on any capital gains in excess of $250,000 if filing separately or $500,000 if filing jointly.
Old 17-07-2016, 11:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Capital gains on a home is excluded to $250K if single or $500K if married and joint tax filers. You can't roll over capital gains any more thanks to new tax laws. You only have the $250K or $500K exclusion.

The good news is boats if lived aboard full time are coincided a home or a second home by the IRS. So interest is deductible on the boat if it's used as a vacation home or primary residence. You can also claim a homestead exemption for county property taxes (in most states). I have a homestead exemption for the Rose.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:40   #7

Boat: Vagabond 14

Well... the cap gains exclusion when selling a house is once every so many years ...

Talk to a CPA. You want the right info and tax law can confuse lawyers.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 12:16   #8

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Capital gains on a home is excluded to $250K if single or $500K if married and joint tax filers. You can't roll over capital gains any more thanks to new tax laws. You only have the $250K or $500K exclusion.

The good news is boats if lived aboard full time are coincided a home or a second home by the IRS. So interest is deductible on the boat if it's used as a vacation home or primary residence. You can also claim a homestead exemption for county property taxes (in most states). I have a homestead exemption for the Rose.
Thanks for the help, this gives me a good starting point. Not sure why one post says nobody here could answer this. I was just looking for a general answer, not a complete dissertation.

Thanks again.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:02   #9

Boat: Grampian 26

In Canada you may be exempt from capital gains tax if you are selling your primary residence. As with all things, free advice is only worth what you pay for it. Your accountant or tax lawyer is the person to talk to.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:13   #10

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

Check out the IRS rules for capital gains on one's home:https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc701.html
Barbara
Ph.D. In Accounting
PS Don't assume no one here knows the answer!
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

If so, the IRS says you only pay tax on any capital gains in excess of $250,000 if filing separately or $500,000 if filing jointly.
Same with a boat if its your "home". But then again that is a completely academic question. A boat appreciates?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

But you must keep your home/boat for a stipulated time before its a capital gains. If you rent either out on more than an occasional basis, you MUST depreciate the asset and recoup the depreciation at time of sale. Oh joys.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:40   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just went through that and it depends on what your basis is in the home, etc.
Mine was a little more complex as I owned the corporation that owned the house and land, I was told that I "would be alright" by my CPA, only to have the biggest tax bill of my life, his definition of alright and mine vary I suppose
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:44   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

This is true if your home is your primary residence and you have lived in it for at least 2 years out of the past 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 09:52   #15

We are in escrow. We just asked this question of our escrow officer. She said exactly what post #14 says...
Jas0381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes