Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 15:50   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Offshore With No Flag Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
There is still a yacht ensign, though it is no longer recognised by the US congress. The Congress recognised the yacht ensign from 1848 to 1980. Several states have officially recognized it, as has the USCG aux, but only for use in US waters. In international or foreign waters, the flag is the required signal. Though no longer official, the yacht ensign may be saluted when boarding a vessel.
A sane response not a Dah. Probably still used by Comity Boats at Regattas?

Thanks!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 16:08   #32

Boat: Irwin, Sloop 27

Flag and Etiquette Committee
This may help.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:09   #33

Boat: Farr 1020

Zeehag is a bit of a worry!
We do fly under a flag - that in which our vessel is registered.
If not registered, then you will be open to all manner of customs intrusions in any country you visit.
Flags can not be seen offshore, so the law states there is no need to fly them. Similarly at night - what for if it can not be seen.
The flag we fly in port or coastal waters during the hours of daylight is the one of the vessel's registration. The courtesy flag - flown from the stud side, is the one of the country we are in.
Australian sailors are appealing at this. Many believe they should advertise their family origins with flags. Europeans are better - they are pounced on by customs at all times so tend to obey the rules better.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 16:44   #34

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Not putting name and hailing port on your transom is asking for trouble in many countries. I usually only fly the flag in port but not religiously. I have been asked at varoious times what flag my vessel is from by offcals.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:46   #35

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The national ensign should be displayed when attacking.
Old 22-04-2015, 18:20   #36

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Hmmmm... curiouser and curiouser.....

From: Ensign of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

scroll down to Yacht Ensign

..."Similarly, the United States Power Squadrons' guide to flags and flag etiquette, prepared in consultation with the Coast Guard, Coast Guard Auxiliary, New York Yacht Club, and others, provides that the Yacht Ensign may be flown as the ensign by American recreational boats of all types and sizes instead of the national ensign in domestic waters, but that the ordinary national ensign should be worn in international or foreign waters."

Unless I'm misunderstanding the English, that seems to state that the Yanks "should" fly their flag even when out beyond anybody's territorial waters.

The rest of us would follow our own home-country rules.

For the otherwise curious... Liberland: Official Website The planet's newest country, formed on April 13, 2015.
Registration for new citizens available online.
Official policy: no taxes.
The flag:
Attached Images

svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 19:00   #37

Boat: Lancer 36

Just to be safe, fly the Texas Longhorn Flag. You will more than likely be hailed with a cold beer.
beecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 19:02   #38

Boat: Farr 1020

As far as the flags go, I have always adopted the "daylight only" rule on the basis nobody can see me and in International waters, no need until challenged.
Each country will have its own regs regarding registration, I would not know what it is other than in my home state of NSW nowadays, which requires visible registration numbers of a given minimum size etc etc.
To risk an irate coastguard, it is easier to comply, especially in US or European waters, also Islamic states and Communist countries, plus the bulk of Asian ones, all are conscious of smugglers and want to spot the registration. Back in mid-80s, Hong Kong (under Pommy control then) adopted humongous registration numbers on the hull, so we all duly painted them on before they realised how hideous it was and reverted to a smaller size.
The key issue is we should be aware of the regs where we are and avoid the need for Authorities to even question us - life is simpler that way and the older I get, the less interested I am in tweaking the noses of the Authorities.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 03:25   #39

In my research about flags I couldnt find one, clear standard, it appears each nation has their own guidelines and, if anything, seem to lean on a ship/boat's registration.

Id like to see three flags--citizenship of the captain, home port of the vessel, and Dont Tread on Me. Personally Im not interested in the country of registration. Above all, no lies with the flags.
1) Citizenship. Id like to know from a distance who im encountering. Call me a profiler, i dont care.
2) Home port differs from registration in this sense. Id like to know where you generally hang out if there is even a semi-constant place.
3) Dont Tread on Me. Its for mutually assured destruction. Here is my bomb, and I see yours, ok we are balanced, we respect rights and we dont mess with each other. We recognize each will defend what we each have.

Maybe Im wrong but do I see a trend in the thread in which says "i dont want to raise my flags but I want you to raise yours" (?) Yes no?
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 03:57   #40

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Here is a shot of my “on board” ensign, which I hoist when we are aboard in port. The US jack is permanently flown as a courtesy.
At sea we fly nothing, but in coastal waters I have a “red duster” measuring 6’ x 12’. Just so they can see us coming.....
Old 23-04-2015, 06:19   #41

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Who ever You are, Where ever You are, always familiarize yourself with the local laws and obey them regardless of how stupid they seem. That way you can enjoy your sailing and have an easier Life!
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:48   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Here is a shot of my “on board” ensign, which I hoist when we are aboard in port. The US jack is permanently flown as a courtesy.
At sea we fly nothing, but in coastal waters I have a “red duster” measuring 6’ x 12’. Just so they can see us coming.....
I like it. Big and Bold!

And seeing your ensign, at a glance I can tell there is a Manxman aboard!

That kind of instant "recognition" is a big part of why I like the use of national ensigns on boats.

So, I am in favor of flying the national ensign while the boat is underway and likely to encounter ships or other boats (e.g. coastal sailing).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:12   #43

Boat: CS 33

Try Chapman's Piloting . It has a section on US and international flag regs and etiquette. PD
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore