Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33   #31

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Ocean Crossing around the world are best in Monohull or Catamaran???

there can be some REALLY nice cats out there
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-141035.html
(sold by now) 2+ rtws 80.000 some miles (but again $$$$$$$!)
(& probably scare me §hittI3§§ if one "stepped on it" going upwind in 30kn or so...)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:29   #32

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

There is another way to get faster to your goal (mono or cat), by having some skipper training on your own boat with experienced captains and may be looking for a experienced crew on your first passage.

So learning by doing on exactly what you have can bring you faster to your goals.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 17:53   #33

Boat: Whitby 55

Cats mostly capsize due to wind not waves. Sudden shifts/gusts can do it. Just a few weeks ago a cat capsized while on anchor in an anchorage due to a micro burst. In otherwords, you can be doing everything right and still go over.

Sure, monohulls have to worry about the keel falling off but in my opinion if it does that is thw owners fault. In my opinion, a mistake has to happen for a monohull to go over.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 18:00   #34
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Cats mostly capsize due to wind not waves. Sudden shifts/gusts can do it. Just a few weeks ago a cat capsized while on anchor in an anchorage due to a micro burst. In otherwords, you can be doing everything right and still go over.

Sure, monohulls have to worry about the keel falling off but in my opinion if it does that is thw owners fault. In my opinion, a mistake has to happen for a monohull to go over.

So how much experience on both monos and cats do you have to gain this opinion? I'm sure the insurance adjusters would love to educate themselves with your experience.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 18:02   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

full keel with encapsulated ballast don't fall off . And you are correct something has to seriously go wrong for a properly maintained mono to go over. Knocked down by microburst yes but over . Very rare.
Old 26-12-2017, 18:26   #36

what exactly are you calling an opinion? If it is the fact that cats capsize mostly due to wind, that is a fact according to the organization that keeps tract of them. Look it up.
Old 26-12-2017, 18:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
full keel with encapsulated ballast don't fall off . And you are correct something has to seriously go wrong for a properly maintained mono to go over. Knocked down by microburst yes but over . Very rare.

Horses for courses and experience. Personally I'd sail anywhere in a monohull. I am most experienced in larger monohulls than cats. If you are staying out of the southern ocean and northern Atlantic and understand the seasonal mechanics of cyclones / hurricanes then wandering along the trades it doesn't matter what we'll found boat you sail.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 18:38   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I have to admit limited experience with larger cats ( beach cats yes ) bigger cruising ones no) just monohull and trimarans.
Old 26-12-2017, 18:40   #39
smj

[QUOTE=FranklinGray;2543405]what exactly are you calling an opinion? If it is the fact that cats capsize mostly due to wind, that is a fact according to the organization that keeps tract of them. Look it up.[/

Most cruising cats won't capsize due to just wind. Usually where there's enough wind there's also waves. Either way, the captain of the cat was doing something wrong. The insurance industry have found cruising catamarans to be as good or a better risk for them as cruising monohulls, so pick your poison. Instead of focusing on the type of sailboat it would be better to focus on the design and safety record of the sailboat you choose.
Old 26-12-2017, 18:55   #40

Tell that to the lady who had to be rescued while in the hull of a cat on amchor when a micro burst came in Greece. Tell that to the captain and crew sailinf to the DR in mild conditions when the wind suddenly reversed andcthey went over.

A micro burst is rare but any cat will capsize if one hits...a monohull will not.

If I go over, I would rather it be my fault, not just bad luck.
Old 26-12-2017, 19:02   #41
smj

Ocean Crossing around the world are best in Monohull or Catamaran???

Quote:
Tell that to the lady who had to be rescued while in the hull of a cat on amchor when a micro burst came in Greece. Tell that to the captain and crew sailinf to the DR in mild conditions when the wind suddenly reversed andcthey went over.

A micro burst is rare but any cat will capsize if one hits...a monohull will not.

If I go over, I would rather it be my fault, not just bad luck.

The captain and crew that were sailing of the DR were reefed in 27 kts of wind, then hit by a tornado according to them. Hardly mild. Try telling them that was their fault. Each of those crew members had well over 100,000 miles of offshore multihull experience and tens of thousands of miles on that particular design. And any cat will capsize in a microburst? You really need to get your facts straight. As I said, pick your boat, whether mono or multi then do your research. Not all boats are created equal.
Old 26-12-2017, 19:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The captain and crew that were sailing of the DR were reefed in 27 kts of wind, then hit by a tornado according to them. Hardly mild. Try telling them that was their fault. Each of those crew members had well over 100,000 miles of offshore multihull experience and tens of thousands of miles on that particular design. And any cat will capsize in a microburst? You really need to get your facts straight. As I said, pick your boat, whether mono or multi then do your research. Not all boats are created equal.
exactly....it was not their fault and is my point....a cat can go over without any fault to crew, captain and owner.

Micro burst bring winds up to 100 knots....a monohull will put the mast in the water, a cat, any cat will go over but now we know due to the case in Greece that it can go over while on anchor too with NO sails up.
Old 26-12-2017, 19:18   #43
smj

Ocean Crossing around the world are best in Monohull or Catamaran???

[QUOTE=FranklinGray;2543430]exactly....it was not their fault and is my point....a cat can go over without any fault to crew, captain and owner.

Micro burst bring winds up to 100 knots....a monohull will put the mast in the water, a cat, any cat will go over but now we know due to the case in Greece that it can go over while on anchor too with NO sails up. (End of quote)

I've seen quite a few monos put their mast in the water with a 90 kts gust while we in a cat had no heel whatsoever. Real life experience. No we didn't flip and it wasn't the best of multihull designs. No one died and no boats were lost but I heard quite a few monohullers had to change their undies after the experience.
Old 26-12-2017, 19:45   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=smj;2543431]
Quote:
exactly....it was not their fault and is my point....a cat can go over without any fault to crew, captain and owner.

Micro burst bring winds up to 100 knots....a monohull will put the mast in the water, a cat, any cat will go over but now we know due to the case in Greece that it can go over while on anchor too with NO sails up. (End of quote)

I've seen quite a few monos put their mast in the water with a 90 kts gust while we in a cat had no heel whatsoever. Real life experience. No we didn't flip and it wasn't the best of multihull designs. No one died and no boats were lost but I heard quite a few monohullers had to change their undies after the experience.
was that under sail or at anchor? Just wondering when I get hit with 40 to 50 knots broadside in the marina bare poles and heel about 5 to 7 deg. Always head-on when anchored. Under sail I go to about 35 and dump wind. In my mono's. Never any appreciable heel in my tri regardless of wind point. ( i.e. under 10deg)
Old 26-12-2017, 20:27   #45

Boat: LAGOON 400

mono worshipers at it again

they obviously forgot that braking wave height equal mono width will turn around the boat. and then of course all have all hatches/doors closed so no water goes in and sinks the boat.

And then even if that is true, boat takes that bloody minute to turn back with number of casualities surfacing if they are tied on the boat.

as i always say monos are good for bay sailing, so one keeps fit trying to keep balance. On open ocean mono is suicidal.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull, ocean crossing, round the world