Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 12:18   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Ocean Crossers and Global Cruisers Only

@Chotu:

Humbly suggest you e-mail or PM bensolomon. He could recommend a pulmonologist in your area.

Jim's right about this, if you are to gain your freedom, it will have to be the "greater" vessel.

Might want to carry oxygen, too.

Ann
Old 01-12-2019, 13:05   #62

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@Chotu:

Humbly suggest you e-mail or PM bensolomon. He could recommend a pulmonologist in your area.

Jim's right about this, if you are to gain your freedom, it will have to be the "greater" vessel.

Might want to carry oxygen, too.

Ann
Ben IS the local pulmonologist in my area. Ha ha ha. He's the one who helped me figure out the triggers. I haven't gone in to his office because I'm managing it all by eliminating the triggers at this time.

I also agree. The greater vessel is it.

I suppose some emergency oxygen for the medical kit is always a good idea no matter what. Especially so in my case. Probably need a pulse oximeter to be able to measure O2 in the blood as well to determine if oxygen is needed in any instance.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 13:35   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, indeed. You're doing very well with a very difficult issue.

Ann
Old 03-12-2019, 02:25   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Most folks who don't listen to their partners wind up sailing solo. Are you up for that?
Happy wife = happy life
Crocboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 17:35   #65

Boat: Cal-40

One thing is true, because your boat is really never finished it’s all so easy to find yet another project that needs to be done before you can get underway. At some point you must come to the conclusion it’s done enough and time to go.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 17:53   #66

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
One thing is true, because your boat is really never finished it’s all so easy to find yet another project that needs to be done before you can get underway. At some point you must come to the conclusion it’s done enough and time to go.
Yes. Always true.

The better boat just has a much longer list to attend to before she's ready.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31   #67

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Yes. Get. Off. The. Dock.

You can get other work done later. With care you won't spend more, and where you do it is balanced by the things you didn't do that you decide later aren't important.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:42   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
GO NOW!
in 2 years time the likes of the la vagabonders will have made the lifestyle so popular that every man,dog and his girlfriend /boyfriend will be out there on anything that floats.
this leads to an increase in marina prices,as the wannabees block up boat yards and marinas whilst fixing their failing project boats.

those that do actually leave and end up crossing oceans,cause prices and cruising fees to go up in the more remote places.

a current example is portugal that in the last year has put up the lights and bouyage fee that you have to pay on arrival whether you stay a day or 6 months from 8.50 euros to 70 euros !
Don't worry we are okay this side of the pond. Seems everyone is heading for the Americas ready for next season. Europe should be empty with a bit of luck

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIS.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	204330  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

..successful globe girdling voyages have been made by all types of boats and all types of people with all types of equipment, there is NO set formula for success.
..a $10K boat is just as suitable as a $100K boat. It's not the boat that makes for a successful voyage, it's YOU !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:26   #70

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

A really strong boat and strong rigging are paramount. Don't even think about compromising.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44   #71

Have or get a boat you and your crew can be proud of and willing to care for. Have or get a boat that feels like a home you feel cozy comfortable in.
stevebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:25   #72

I totally agree with SailNautilus. Do not waste 3 or more years on this project UNLESS the project is your main goal. Some people are cruisers and some are boat builders/fixers. If your goal is cruising. GO CRUISING. And my goodness, for 100 - 200K you can find a really nice secure cruiser. In fact for less than 100K.
My Kelly Perterson 44 and my Cal 246 were great long range cruisers. Both cost me under a hundred K. I maybe put 10 to 20K more into them to make them the way I wanted over time. And a way to have your cake and eat it too is: with my Cal, i wanted to cruise asap. So I just made sure that it was up to the relatively easy trip from N California to La Paz, Mexico and sailed that nearly 30 yr old boat (still in great shape) down to La Paz. Spent a year cruising the Sea of Cortez, really enjoying the cruising community there and did all my outfitting and up grades there. Spent most of the time anchored in the harbor there. Between the cruising community and “cruisers net “ buy swap and trade, I got lots of good gear. And the local skills talent was excellent in La Paz, a safe and very cruiser friendly port. I definitely got things done a lot cheaper and much more enjoyably this way. And for goodness sake if cruising is your goal and not fixing boats GO Cruising. There is a glut of good cruising boats available and many under a 100K total! Sell what you have and buy a good used cruiser. Get your lady to help choose it with you enjoy the process.

!
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:28   #73

I’ve seen dozens of well equipped, turn key, boats for sale in Foreign ports.
In a way it’s taking advantage of someone else’s misfortune, however many find themselves in a situation which can only be resolved by leaving the boat behind.
Bottom line; let someone else spend the money getting the boat ready, then go help them out of a Jam.
gregfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...I was motivated to go myself by a good friend of mine that circumnavigated in a 26' wood sloop using a truck tire lashed to the foredeck as a life raft.
Webb Chiles has circumnavigated several times on craft most people laugh at.
The Pardey's did it all without an engine...
Robin Lee Graham....another tiny boat...singlehanded.
I could spend hours listing the people that have circumnavigated on every manner of boat.
Any well found boat is able to do it as mentioned above.
The key to a successful voyage is the sailor manning the boat!!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:16   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

The decision becomes irrelevant when you are out on the high seas in your first big storm. The most important priority for happy, safe and satisfying cruising, is knowing that you have 100% trust in your vessel... believe me, all those fripperies and refinements will not add to a row of beans when mother nature and father neptune get into an argument!!

Function before beauty was ALWAYS my motto when building and fitting out my boat over 40 years ago, and we are both still around...Keep the pretty, expensive boat on the mooring and use her for the day sails or weekend coastal getaways, but take the comfortable, safety-first lady when going offshore and crossing continents...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, grass