Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 18:48   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are no bridges over the channel into San Leandro Marina.
Doh! I confused it with the Aeolian marina at the southern end of Alameda.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 19:24   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I was in Fortman for 3 years before I left for Hawaii this summer. The wooden finger piers are often tippy and aren't the greatest. Other than that, it was a good marina. The amenities are basic but clean and parking is never a problem. Theft was nonexistant. I was gone for 3 months or more at a time and left a car there. Never had a theft problem and I'm sure the life raft and hard dinghy on my deck would have been a temptation.

As far as being in the middle of things, you've got a ton of clubs, especially Encinal YC, that I likefor its sailing emphasis and Guiness on tap, Alameda YC is at Fortman and very convenient, and there are at least 2 more clubs. You've got Grand and Svendsens yard, Svendsen's and West Marine chandlery, a bunch of sail lofts, machine shops, welding and fabrication at Alameda Prop and Marine. There are a number of good bars and restaurants on Park Street. It's all there and within easy bike/walking distance.

I didn't appreciate the weather when I was there but it's the best that I found in the Bay. Very seldom very windy and the fog burns off early. Spent two weeks in cold and windy Sausalito and they can have that area. Emeryville and Berkeley are also cold and windy. Don't have any experience with Richmond but the constant reporting of murders and mayhem there didn't make me want to move there. Same goes for the north side of the Estuary.

The big problem you are going to have is finding a liveaboard slip. Understand the waiting lists are quite long thanks to the Eco Nazi's. I commuted to the boat and spent a week or two at a time on the boat getting it ready for the TransPac. No problems until I started staying a month at a time and parked my car in front of the office as I spent more time getting ready the downhill slide. Never got any official notice but the lady in the office made it very clear that she knew I was staying on the boat more than a couple of days at a time. Expect if they hadn't known that I was leaving, they would have taken action. I was in slip 10 very close to the office so it was hard to stay under the radar and I really didn't make any offer to lay low. The smaller slips are way away from the office so sneaking aboard might not be such a problem. A guy who used to work at Svendsens complained that he couldn't get a liveaboard slip any closer than Richmond and he should have had all the 'ins'. I looked at Grand Marina as the facilities are quite nice and they have marina supplied WIFI. They were a bit more expensive and the fairways too narrow for my maneuvering challenged boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 21:32   #18

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
+1 for Marina Village.
I've been in Pittsburg, Sausalito, Berkeley and Alameda (Fortman, Grand, Marina Village) during the last 20 yrs. I just vacated a slip in Marina Village and moved my boat to Ensenada. I've been quite happy in Alameda. As far as I know there is no waiting list in Marina Village for regular slips...
As others stated already the sailing community and professional support are probably best in Alameda.
Old 04-04-2011, 23:46   #19

Re: Oakland / Emeryville Marinas

>>The Emeryville muni marina is a dump.<<

Are you kidding? One, there is no muni marina, it's a private marina. Secondly, It's a beatiful marina with the most incredible harbormaster and staff. I checked out all the marinas in the area and chose Emeryville because it was the nicest. I live aboard. Jack London was pretty nice too, but the parking hassles was something I couldn't deal with. Plus, my boat would have been right on the waterway. I have a wonderful 2-finger slip in Emeryville. It's well maintained, clean, all the facilities work, and everyone there is friendly.
NWSailingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:00   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NWSailingGuy.

Thanks for the info'.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSailingGuy View Post

Are you kidding? One, there is no muni marina, it's a private marina. Secondly, It's a beatiful marina...
OK, you're correct, Emeryville Marina is not city-owned, but it is a dump, IMHO. The harbor staff notwithstanding, the "park" surrounding this very shallow, not particularly attractive marina is a hangout for bums and druggies and is certainly not a place that I would feel comfortable bringing children for a picnic. The marina has more than its share of poorly maintained POS boats and the flying-under-the-radar types who liveaboard them. The shoreside restrooms are definitely unsavory and even a little scary. There is nothing about this marina that I would consider "beautiful".

Given my choice of where to keep a boat in the East Bay, Emeryville Marina would be very low on the list.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSailingGuy View Post

Are you kidding? One, there is no muni marina, it's a private marina. Secondly, It's a beatiful marina with the most incredible harbormaster and staff. I checked out all the marinas in the area and chose Emeryville because it was the nicest. I live aboard. Jack London was pretty nice too, but the parking hassles was something I couldn't deal with. Plus, my boat would have been right on the waterway. I have a wonderful 2-finger slip in Emeryville. It's well maintained, clean, all the facilities work, and everyone there is friendly.
You may be mistaking Emery Cove for the muni marina, there are 2 marinas there. I have to agree Emery is a great place. I was there for 17 years. Getting a live aboard is a long wait there........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45   #23

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

Eric, sounds like Berkeley might be a good choice for you. I had two boats there (J dock) over 15 years, altho' now at Brisbane, which I like also. Never a liveaboard, but know several who are (legal and sneakaboard).

Crime is a slight issue, but not awful. There is a very good community there of boaters, and some very good sailors. Amtrak and BART are within walking distance (No. Berkeley station for BART, under the fwy for Amtrak), plus bus line. There's a yard if you need one, you can get Starbucks coffee at the hotel, or go to Peets on 4th Street.

I'd argue for legal; less stress. Keep your boat in good shape, make friends. North side has better restrooms/showers, plus a small laundry room. Parking is plentiful, and the view is great.

If you sail often, getting into the Slot right away is a big plus. Down side for me was the cold foggy air, and the party boats with partially drunk fishermen from Modesto at 5am. (Really, there outta be a law!)

Also, likely that fees will continue to rise as debt service on new docks is considerable, as is just the cost of running a marina and large park (yes, berth fees pay for upkeep of Cesar Chavez park (and the $250K 4th of July fireworks).

Best of luck, and welcome to CF.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas