Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 18:32   #1

NZ registered, sail Alabama - Cuba - Florida? Possible?

I am thinking of sailing my New Zealand registered boat from Alabama to Cuba and back to Florida. Does anyone know whether this is possible with the relevant authorities, and if so, is it wise?
Thanks
witoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 18:35   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: NZ registered, sail Alabama - Cuba - Florida? Possible?

Are you a US citizen?
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 18:48   #3

No, I am a South African citizen with permanent residence in New Zealand, and am looking at buying a boat in Alabama shortly, registering it in New Zealand and sailing it via Cuba and Florida to New England (in the Spring) where I am based for the next few years.
Old 11-01-2015, 19:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

It is perfectly legal for a non US citizen or non US resident to sail Cuba. However I have read a number of reports of non citizens sailing to the US from Cuba that were hassled by US Customs agents. Problem is reported to be much worse in south Florida cities. Key West said to be particularly bad but Miami up to W Palm Beach should be avoided if you can.

Another option, after leaving Cuba first check into the Bahamas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 20:03   #5

Thanks Skipmac. Maybe if I do the trip I''l skip Florida and check in further North.
Old 11-01-2015, 21:00   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm sailing from Cuba to Florida in April (Canadian on a Canadian flagged boat). I have asked a lot of people the same question. The answers I got, was always "I heard/read you can be hassled" and never "Damn, they gave me a real hard time". In fact the 4 people I spoke with that had done the trip, said "no problems". Let me know if you ever find someone who actually got hassled (not their friend).

For me, I will be heading up to the Fort Myers area and skipping the keys as that is where the boat needs to end up. I will definitely report my experience back here.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 21:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I'm sailing from Cuba to Florida in April (Canadian on a Canadian flagged boat). I have asked a lot of people the same question. The answers I got, was always "I heard/read you can be hassled" and never "Damn, they gave me a real hard time". In fact the 4 people I spoke with that had done the trip, said "no problems". Let me know if you ever find someone who actually got hassled (not their friend).

For me, I will be heading up to the Fort Myers area and skipping the keys as that is where the boat needs to end up. I will definitely report my experience back here.
Cannot remember everyone but I do recall specifically forum member SV Jedi reported a hassle checking into south Florida. Not even sure he was coming from Cuba.

Might find the thread and post with a little searching.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 22:05   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I beleive I found the thread you are refering to.. Again, he doesn't actually say he had problems, and frankly is very vague.. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ida-97382.html

However many others suggest skipping Key West, Miami and Fort Lauderdale. For me, no problem, I'm headed to Fort Myers. Even if I wasn't, I would head the advice on the forum and skip those locations.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:26   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, witoog.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:52   #10

Any boat coming from Cuba is going to get a close eye from Customs and Immigration, no matter what the nationality of the owner, mainly due to the large number of boats that enter Florida every year carrying refugees escaping from Cuba.

It is a regular occurrence in south Florida. One of the funniest stories my harbormaster told me, was of watching a brand new sport fisherman pull up to a slip in his marina, late one night, and watching dozens and dozens of Cubans come streaming out of the cabin like it was giant floating clown car and running down the pier to the waiting cars in his parking lot.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Regardless of being not an American citizen ( I'm not) or not being US flagged, any vessel coming from Cuba can be restricted from USA waters for six months.

Does it happen? Probably rarely, but I won't take that chance. It is one of the reasons cruise ships do not go to Cuba.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26   #12

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoog View Post
Thanks Skipmac. Maybe if I do the trip I''l skip Florida and check in further North.
Probably a good idea, we too have been advised (more than once) to make any entry into the US 'at Jacksonville or further north' and/or 'enter via the Bahamas.

Given that Florida, particularly its southern end must bear the brunt of any illegal immigration and the like, perhaps not unreasonable/surprising that they're less enamoured by boats coming from Cuba?

That said, given the over-watch reportedly kept on those waters, I find it hard to believe that if you sailed from Havana and along the coast to Jacksonville, that there hasn't been a phone call made to the Officers there to tell them that you're on your way and where from?
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35   #13

Boat: Westsail28

2 years ago While in Ft. Myers, I saw A boat with 4 young French Canadians coming from Cuba . The 2 guys left the boat to check in at the airport. The girls decided to do a little grocery shopping. No one on the boat when customs arrived. Later the Captain told me that he had made radio contact with customs when they entered U.S. waters. Customs at that time told him to check in at the Airport. Girls should have stayed on the boat of course.
Customs gave them a lecture and emptied their boat for them;
It's amazing how much ... stuff you can cram on a boat!
quill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Probably a good idea, we too have been advised (more than once) to make any entry into the US 'at Jacksonville or further north' and/or 'enter via the Bahamas.

Given that Florida, particularly its southern end must bear the brunt of any illegal immigration and the like, perhaps not unreasonable/surprising that they're less enamoured by boats coming from Cuba?

That said, given the over-watch reportedly kept on those waters, I find it hard to believe that if you sailed from Havana and along the coast to Jacksonville, that there hasn't been a phone call made to the Officers there to tell them that you're on your way and where from?
The air, water and satellite surveillance of that area, is extensive, to say the very least. There are almost always Keyholes aimed at Cuba, since back in the missile crisis days.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:15   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Another option, after leaving Cuba first check into the Bahamas.
Or even Mexico
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alabama, Cuba, florida, sail