Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 05:41   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
NYC to Montauk outside next week

Hi,

My wife and I start our summer cruise on Wed 7/20 with a loose plan to leave Newport, meander our way down the LI Sound to get to NYC on Sat, the 23rd, where we pick up friends that are coastal cruisers. I'm thinking of doing the overnight run from NYC to Montauk on the outside leaving NY on the afternoon tide on the 24th to arrive Montauk midday on Monday. I haven't done this run before, but I have plenty of overnight/blue water miles. Our friends have never done an overnight so this would be a first for them.

Long term weather looks to favorable SW but light winds. Just checking for any advice for this journey. We might have to motor a lot of it. How are seas/swells in light winds off Long Island? I'd hate to hit the uncomfortable angles of rolling/slatting for 20 hours if that's the standard state.

Thanks,

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 06:03   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: NYC to Montauk outside next week

Running along the coast is pretty standard but make sure you've got good weather since, as I am sure you know, there is little refuge along that stretch. Leaving NYC on the tide makes sense but watch for any strong easterlies. We had the worst wind against current situation there we've ever experienced and I was convinced had we been on a smaller boat we would have foundered.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 07:43   #3

Made the trip a couple summers ago this time of year on a Friday night. Was about 20 miles off of Shinnecock Inlet in the fog around O'dark thirty when we separately encountered three fairly large sport fishers headed south with the throttle down. I am sure they weren't on autopilot and were keeping a close watch.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 20:09   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Running under power with the sails slatting along about 100 miles of beach can get pretty boring. If the weather gets nasty there's nowhere to go, you have 100 miles of lee shore to worry about. Where are you starting from? Getting out Ambrose Channel from NYC can take a LONG time, and there's lots of traffic to keep you from relaxing too much. While an overnight outside in good conditions might be fun, going back up the Sound would provide the same night sailing experience with many more visible towns and cities to mark progress, provide shelter, diversion, or supplies if something breaks. We ended up having to sail along the beach towards Montauk once, coming back from Bermuda pre-GPS. Not fun, even with a boat full of Gosling's Black Seal.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 20:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Any reason you want to go outside instead of back up LI Sound (other than you just came that way)? You can still do an over night if you like but have lots of options to stop over if that doesn't work out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 05:03   #6

Really good points. I think going outside is for the not-so-sensible reason to just have more adventure and have to be more focused and serious. Especially for our friends to up their game a bit. It will make for a better story to tell later, although I wouldn't do it for that reason if the conditions looked stupid.

We'll leave from on of the NJ marinas on the Hudson. Definitely with plenty of daylight. I know its a full 12 miles out to the clear. Tides then are favorable. Being from Newport we're used to very crowded waters, but not for such a long stretch.
Old 19-07-2016, 06:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Adventure I think is always a good reason to pick a destination. After all, we are doing this for the fun and isn't adventure fun?

However I feel quite different about the focus issue. I'm always more focused and feel less relaxed inshore than offshore. My only trip through LI Sound we frequently had to pay a bit of attention to navigation and traffic. This was on a trip to FL and I went through NY harbor but turned south instead of north. From my single trip once past the ferry traffic around Manhattan I only saw a few boats and ships all the way to the Verrazano Bridge.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 08:17   #8

Boat: Beneteau OC 41.1

I understand the LI Sound route provides for many opportunities to anchor at night when making this trip, but I have always been curious what people thought about sailing through the LI Sound at night. Is this advisable or prudent to anchor before nightfall when in the sound? Is it difficult to see at night with the lights from onshore or is there much traffic, obstacles (lobster traps, etc.) that make a night passage unadvisable in the sound? Whenever I read about trips through the sound everyone seems to be anchoring up before nightfall.
B-to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:16   #9

This time of year the wind direction is predominately out of the southwest (picks up in afternoon), would recommend staying in 60+ feet of water as the waves are more swell in type, they seem to sharpen up when in 30- feet of water. I would have route setup for each inlet, debs, Jones, fire-island and Shinnacock just in case. As another post stated, some sportfisherman head out the inlets real early in the morning heading to the canyons, so just have that understanding when approaching an inlet at certain times (in other words have more experienced people on watch). Enjoy!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:26   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

if you sail the Sound at night you must watch for tugs, barges in tow, and fishermen (who never use AIS). You also must consider the tidal currents inside, but not much to affect you offshore.
You can start looking at the night traffic on the Sound and south of LI by using one of the virtual AIS websites (like Boat Beacon); you will find very little coastwise traffic south of LI. You can also learn the schedule of traffic on the Sound, such as ferries and oil transports.
Old 19-07-2016, 09:32   #11

Lots of good advice above. There can be quite a swell outside, not dangerous but devastating on morale when its constant rollers on the beam for hours on end. Inside good radar a must for ship traffic, etc. You know how fast tugs and barges can come on you. Also at around 4 am with tired eyes and body all the blinking lights can be tough in reckoning their timing. That's when it's time to throw over an anchor in a quite cove.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:34   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
Hi,

My wife and I start our summer cruise on Wed 7/20 with a loose plan to leave Newport, meander our way down the LI Sound to get to NYC on Sat, the 23rd, where we pick up friends that are coastal cruisers. I'm thinking of doing the overnight run from NYC to Montauk on the outside leaving NY on the afternoon tide on the 24th to arrive Montauk midday on Monday. I haven't done this run before, but I have plenty of overnight/blue water miles. Our friends have never done an overnight so this would be a first for them.

Long term weather looks to favorable SW but light winds. Just checking for any advice for this journey. We might have to motor a lot of it. How are seas/swells in light winds off Long Island? I'd hate to hit the uncomfortable angles of rolling/slatting for 20 hours if that's the standard state.

Thanks,

JR
Stay off shore. Ground swells can be bad within a few miles off shore. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:54   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

i've done this trip outside LI several times, even solo. Nothing really to worry too much about, but there is not many places to duck in if you have issues or weather goes south, so check weather. If you need to get to Montauk or Block Is quick from NYC, I prefer outside b/c I think it is safer at night than running inside where ship lights are harder to see against the shore and there's more fishing gear. running 5 to 7 miles offshore you are well north of the Ambrose channel, which you will be out of as soon as you have the Rockaways to port and you're heading E. Most of the tugs run about 3 miles off, but you need to look out for them.
It's a nice way to cut your teeth on offshore overnight, so do it if your friends think it sounds fun!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 12:47   #14

Thanks again for all the pointers.

In our case if we went inside we wouldn't do an overnight. We'd just port-hop our way up. The outside idea is for the added novelty/experience of it for our friends' sake. Plus my wife and I really enjoy a nice overnight trip (usually Cape Cod to Maine). Again, wouldn't do it in stupid conditions.

More advice welcome.
Old 19-07-2016, 13:24   #15

Boat: Leopard 40

Need weather advice.... Chris Parker, Marine weather forecaster. Contact him and buy a trip forecast..

Tom
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc