Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 20:09   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Now I understand how poor i am.

Just returned from South Florida and the Bahamas. Went there with my sweet wife to look at a couple of boats and explore south Florida a little bit. We had a wonderful time there and in Freeport Bahama. I had forgotten how hard it can rain in tropical areas. When I was young guy we lived in Subic P.I., Agana, Guam, and Hawaii. Can you guess what my daddy's job was?

I was in shock when we took down a phone number of a small house in Lauderdale and it was 1.3 million with a dock. Nothing much to speak of from the outside. We took boat tours in Lauderdale harbor and Miami's swankest houses canals. Holy Crap Batman...It really was a spectacle.

Saw a sexy cat I was wondering if the crew on here recognizes it as an architect's one design or a manufacturer's maxi cruiser cat.

The very nice 34 foot tri designed by C. White berthed in Stuart was as beautiful as I had hoped she would be. Very very nice boat but she had a couple of things that didn't sit well with us. I will post a picture of the interior so you can understand it better. The boat is much more robust than a F31. Cleanest and nicest engine compartment I have ever seen on multihull. Everything easy to reach and service. Immaculate in my imagination. In the main cabin galley was full standing head room. But once you step forward you loose all standing headroom due to center pivot board trunk. They designed water tankage there and you have to bend over to go forward. Single bunk in the fore of the boat with a toilet. All in stooped over condition. The aft cabin is spacious for two people. My wife, I swear, could smell a sparrow's fart at forty paces, immediately noticed diesel fumes which I could barely detect. Don't know if that could be remedied.

The strangest thing though was the tiller arrangement. Due to the aft cabin...which I love on trimarans had two quadrants set up. Which meant one on the stern rudder post and one just aft of the diesel compartment. Which left a tiller arm that you move on a vertical axis versus a horizontal axis. When I moved the tiller arm it was quite heavy. Never felt a tiller like that before. I was lucky to have the owner and the previous owner on site to post questions to. Both knowledgeable about the boat and it's sailing characteristics. They said it is nothing to worry about and once underway that heavy feeling disappears. Any thoughts on this ?( much appreciated). will try and post some pics of that also.

So we got seriously polluted at Mangos in South Beach...and we aren't the drinking type, had a great dinner at Shooter's in Lauderdale, wretched ride on Baleria's cat ferry to Freeport, and kissed by a dolphin in Freeport. Never seen friendlier people or sweeter water and sand than the Bahamas. We fell in love. Since I am born under the Chinese sign of the Hare my wife calls me Rabbit. So..I did my best rabbit imitation for her. Look at the quality of the water...swam every day as much as I could. Came back to California and it was raining, cool, and breezy. Back to work life....yuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7585.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	122550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7498.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	122551  

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	122552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8107.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	122553  

Name:	DSC02030.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	122554  
Old 13-04-2016, 05:07   #2

Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I was in shock when we took down a phone number of a small house in Lauderdale and it was 1.3 million with a dock.
Anything on the water in that part of Florida is going to be expensive. In fact, anywhere in Florida, anything with a deep water canal and no-bridge access to open water is going to be on the high side. But "high side" does not necessarily mean in the seven figure range. There are areas where you can get a house or condo with a dock, where the prices are affordable for a reasonably money-savvy person with a middle-class income. But, no, the Dade/Broward area does not generally fall into that category.
Old 13-04-2016, 05:18   #3

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Looking at around $400,000 for a canal home built late 1950's in west Fort Lauderdale, 65' of waterfront, NFB, limited to ~15' beam 55' clearance at I-95. Home for a cat, much harder to find $$$

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-04-2016, 05:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

A few years ago that house was $150,000. And 10 years before that the same price. Owned one, got out halfway down.

Does make you wonder what is going on in the world.
Old 13-04-2016, 05:32   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Anything on the water in that part of Florida is going to be expensive. In fact, anywhere in Florida, anything with a deep water canal and no-bridge access to open water is going to be on the high side. But "high side" does not necessarily mean in the seven figure range. There are areas where you can get a house or condo with a dock, where the prices are affordable for a reasonably money-savvy person with a middle-class income. But, no, the Dade/Broward area does not generally fall into that category.
totally illogical pricing. Waterfront should be cheaper as sea endangers residents. Tsunamis & sea rising come to mind. all anglosaxon world has this anomaly.
Old 13-04-2016, 05:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yet, for the time being 200K buys you a nice Condo and deep water dock in the Panhandle of fl, often single unit with a small yard.
Three things that determine Real Estate value?
Old 13-04-2016, 07:16   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

If you think things are expensive now, just wait until they raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour!

Lots of folks haven't figured that one out yet.
Old 13-04-2016, 07:36   #8

Boat: hydrostream

Blaming million dollar water front property on the minimum wage..

Of course, the minimum wage bought those properties. Just not for the minimum wage earner.
Old 13-04-2016, 08:09   #9
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
Blaming million dollar water front property on the minimum wage..

Of course, the minimum wage bought those properties. Just not for the minimum wage earner.
Old 13-04-2016, 08:23   #10

There were some canal home bargains in Fl in the recent recession when I was looking. $175k and up! I imagine that has changed big time by now.

Old 13-04-2016, 08:44   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Guys and Gals, anyone recognize the designer or manufacturer of the sleek red kitty in the picture. Am curious.
Old 13-04-2016, 09:13   #12
vjm

Still $85-125K condos in Palm Beach County with dockage available outside your patio door. 55+ buildings mostly, but no bridges if you pick the right one. I personally would rather live in Broward or Dade, but if it is too expensive there are other options available in South Florida. If you use Trulia and put in condo, under 150K, and the key word "dock" or "boat" then they will pop up for you.
Old 13-04-2016, 10:31   #13

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

You folk don't know what inflation is yet! In Vancouver BC Canada, ordinary working class homes regularly sell into the millions. This is not unusual at all, in fact it has become a daily occurrence here.
A recent sale on a common working class home went for 1.1 million OVER the original asking price of 2.7m Go figure. Great for the seller but, it sure is skewing the market values. There are also ripple effects out through the suburbs because the sellers of homes in the big city are moving out to buy better homes with property, and stash some of their profits in the bank. Can't blame them at all.
We have a problem with Asian folk coming here with loads of cash to buy up homes in the city, leave them vacant, and go back to China. We tend to view it as some kind of money laundering scheme.
Many of these homes have nothing going for them other than the fact they are in the City of Vancouver. We call it the "Asian Invasion" ... hell, they can't even see the water in most instances. The ordinary worker cannot afford to live in this city anymore, having been driven out by these newcomers who can afford to outbid the previous offer no matter how big the figure.
It has gotten so bad, that provincial government are now getting involved to stop predatory dealings by real estate agents who use a system referred to as "shadow purchasing" . . . (not sure what they mean by that). One would think this kind of thing could quite easily happen in Florida too.
Old 13-04-2016, 10:39   #14
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you think things are expensive now, just wait until they raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour!

Lots of folks haven't figured that one out yet.
No cause or effect here - people making a living wage is good for everyone and the community - no evidence to the contrary. Even Henry Ford knew he had to pay his employees enough so they could buy his cars. Sorry for going off topic.
Old 13-04-2016, 10:55   #15
cruiser

red cat looks like a shuttleworth

$200K gets you a SMALL condo, maybe with a dock, in the P'handle. Don't forget those ongoing condo association fees.

Land ain't cheap anywhere in Fla
Closed Thread