Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2016, 19:30   #31
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
No cause or effect here - people making a living wage is good for everyone and the community - no evidence to the contrary. Even Henry Ford knew he had to pay his employees enough so they could buy his cars. Sorry for going off topic.
You can't live on $15/hr....so why not $20/hr and make it a real living wage.
Be careful how you answer...it may contradict your so called "logic"
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 19:35   #32
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Where were you during this last recession? People who made a living wage lost everything...their house, their savings...basically their lives. Many ended up working for close to minimum wage while their jobs went overseas due to your fat-cats that you obviously support.......................
Pretty impressive post, but BS just the same.

You want to know why jobs went overseas? I'll tell you. Government regulations and red tape as well as government and union meddling with wages have made it too expensive to manufacture things in the USA.

It's not about "fat cats", it's just what I posted. Raise the minimum wage and all other wages go up, production gets more expensive and more jobs go overseas or are eliminated by automation.

Put your thinking cap on.
__________________

__________________
rwidman is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 19:46   #33
JFN
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Channel Islands CA
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 26
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
You can't live on $15/hr....so why not $20/hr and make it a real living wage.
Be careful how you answer...it may contradict your so called "logic"
So you're arguing against a higher minimum wage because it won't be high enough anyway? I don't know how to make things perfect either, but I think we have a way to make things a lot better for a lot of people.
__________________
JFN is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 19:58   #34
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

No....I didn't say I was against a minimum wage...your assumptions do you in and betray your logic.

You are deciding what wage is a good living wage and you stopped at $15/hr...why? $25 would be a real living wage so why don't you really advocate for a living wage rather than just poverty at $15/hr? If we are going to "Fix it' why not just FIX it...right?
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 20:02   #35
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,846
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
Blaming million dollar water front property on the minimum wage..

Of course, the minimum wage bought those properties. Just not for the minimum wage earner.

__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 20:58   #36
JFN
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Channel Islands CA
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 26
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No....I didn't say I was against a minimum wage...your assumptions do you in and betray your logic.

You are deciding what wage is a good living wage and you stopped at $15/hr...why? $25 would be a real living wage so why don't you really advocate for a living wage rather than just poverty at $15/hr? If we are going to "Fix it' why not just FIX it...right?
If you go back and review the thread you will see that the only quantification I believe I referred to was a living wage. What that is could be impacted by lots of regional,etc. considerations but not sure why you'd oppose it. Someone working 40 hours a week for a wage they can live on, food, rent, dignity - what's wrong with that picture?
__________________
JFN is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:01   #37
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
If you go back and review the thread you will see that the only quantification I believe I referred to was a living wage. What that is could be impacted by lots of regional,etc. considerations but not sure why you'd oppose it. Someone working 40 hours a week for a wage they can live on, food, rent, dignity - what's wrong with that picture?
I never said or implied I was against a living wage.

You said a living wage was needed...I said $15/hr is still in poverty and asked you why you don't support a REAL living wage?

So now, lets try this again.
Why can't we have a REAL living wage of $25/hr?
Why are you for keeping people in poverty with only a slave $15/hr wage that is impossible to raise a family on? You can't even afford a Donald Trump made in China Tie on $15/hr...it's a lie/scam...

So if the $15 wage is a scam that you still can't live on...what is the real reason some politicians are pushing it?
Ta-da...Government Tax Revenue...pay roll taxes my friends.
The 14% of your paycheck the working poor never see that goes to support the game.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:13   #38
JFN
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Channel Islands CA
Boat: Contessa 32
Posts: 26
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Notice if you will the complete inability to read and comprehend.
Diverting the argument to ME isn't the issue mi amigo...but it's a nice debate tactic. I never said or implied I was against a living wage.

You said a living wage was needed...I said $15/hr is still in poverty and asked you why you don't support a REAL living wage?

So now, lets try this again.
Why can't we have a REAL living wage of $25/hr?
Why are you for keeping people in poverty with only a slave $15/hr wage that is impossible to raise a family on? You can't even afford a Donald Trump made in China Tie on $15/hr...it's a lie/scam...
Yeah, still seems like the same argument. Don't do what may be possible right now even if it helps literally millions because we can't get the minimum wage to a place where it will support some single income family middle class lifestyle? I'm sorry, I'm obviously missing your point. Enjoy the evening.
__________________
JFN is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:14   #39
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
I'm obviously missing your point. Enjoy the evening.
Yes....but that IS my point....
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:19   #40
Registered User
 
spraygun's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston,Texas
Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Posts: 115
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

If we pay the $15 an hour.Will the fast food worker finally get our order right?


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
spraygun is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:23   #41
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
If we pay the $15 an hour.Will the fast food worker finally get our order right?
We will never know because the cost of labor will dive corporate fast food to use ordering touch screens, apps, and robots. The mom and pop fast food places won't be able to compete with the large capital cost outlays and will fold to the larger nation-wide chains and the evil income inequality will grow despite the helping Government promising to make it better.

When it comes to Economics, those who don't understand it, are bound to be hurt by it. How did that Yacht Luxury tax thing work out? Them darn even 1%-ers...go getum...opps wait...All Americans are Global 1%-ers...yikes....go Donald...bring back those jobs Americans won't do. But what happens when Americans then can't afford the American made Tie vs the made in China tie? Solution...get a job where you don't need a Tie or that $5 Starbucks coffee.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:37   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 589
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
Blaming million dollar water front property on the minimum wage..

Of course, the minimum wage bought those properties. Just not for the minimum wage earner.
Thanks for bringing a reality-check to the conversation.
__________________
captlloyd is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:37   #43
Registered User
 
spraygun's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston,Texas
Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Posts: 115
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

What cracks me up is fast food workers on TV protesting.Trying to raise 5 kids on their wages.How about not having 5 kids until you get a real job.Wait, thats all they know.The minimum wage in my day was to bring youth into the workforce ,and teach them a little something until they finish school.I don't feel sorry for people on min wage in general.Should have made better decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
spraygun is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 21:50   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 589
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Where were you during this last recession? People who made a living wage lost everything...their house, their savings...basically their lives. Many ended up working for close to minimum wage while their jobs went overseas due to your fat-cats that you obviously support. I just retired as a Toolmaker. I barely got out alive, turned off the light and locked the door, since all those jobs are gone too. A Machinist who made $30@hr. in 1985 is now offered $17@hr.
If you pull your head out of the sand a moment you can figure out that the cost of living has gone up 5 fold since the early 80's. In reality at $15 an hour, it's still under par. But let me guess...you have a comfy retirement from the military.


And you are the second person on this thread that I thank for a reality-check.
__________________
captlloyd is offline  
Old 13-04-2016, 22:10   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 589
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I never said or implied I was against a living wage.

You said a living wage was needed...I said $15/hr is still in poverty and asked you why you don't support a REAL living wage?

So now, lets try this again.
Why can't we have a REAL living wage of $25/hr?
Why are you for keeping people in poverty with only a slave $15/hr wage that is impossible to raise a family on? You can't even afford a Donald Trump made in China Tie on $15/hr...it's a lie/scam...

So if the $15 wage is a scam that you still can't live on...what is the real reason some politicians are pushing it?
Ta-da...Government Tax Revenue...pay roll taxes my friends.
The 14% of your paycheck the working poor never see that goes to support the game.
Wow, your logic totally escapes me. Yes, I agree, more than $15.00 an hour would be better. But the working poor can't even get that. Any increase is gradually going to have be worked in. There is a certain element in this country who believe that entry level jobs like McDonalds deserve minimum wage. McDonalds is not an entry level job. The average worker age at McDonalds is something like 35. It is middle-class America who are subsidizing fat-cat ultra-rich families like the Wal-Mart family through well-fare and other government relief programs.
__________________

__________________
captlloyd is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trying to understand ssb sailor12 Marine Electronics 12 20-03-2011 10:46
Sorry, I Don't Understand How to . . . Jacques2 Forum Tech Support & Site Help 13 25-11-2010 06:45
I Don't Understand Rigging unbusted67 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 5 28-09-2009 13:32
Land Dwellers, Just Don't Understand JusDreaming Off Topic Forum 29 21-09-2009 11:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.