Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 05:54   #271

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
BS, Complete BS. If you have a penis, you are male. If you have a vagina, you are female. You can't wish or believe it any different. Sex and "gender" are the same thing.

Not quite that simple for everyone out there.

Here is a Navy Seal with 13 deployments. The story was on CNN a couple years ago.

She even went shooting with some old Seal Buddies during the documentary. She wore heels though.

This from the article below:

The first thing Lawrence Shaw noticed about the congressional candidate in his driveway were the medals — a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star with a “V” for valor, and a Joint Service Commendation decoration — clipped to her blazer.

“Are you retired military?” Shaw asked, taking a break from his lawn work to walk over to the broad-shouldered woman.

“Yeah, 20 years, Navy SEAL,” Kristin Beck said. She brushed back her long blond hair and showed him the silver pendant on her necklace, an eagle clutching a trident, anchor and pistol.

“Wow, I didn’t know there was a woman SEAL. That’s amazing,” said Shaw, a retired Army colonel.

“I’m the first one,” Beck said. What she didn’t say was that at the time of her service, she was Christopher Beck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...b93_story.html

Old 28-04-2016, 20:44   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFN View Post
Even Henry Ford knew he had to pay his employees enough so they could buy his cars..
nice.
Old 28-04-2016, 22:46   #273

This is a perfect example of a nice pep talk run amok. Some people have been told "you can be anything you want" so long that they are ready to ignore reality. Unless you have a genetic deformity where your parts don't match your genes, it's pretty straight forward.

To round this back to the subject, we are seeing the same issue from several posters with economics. We've never had a world where the goal of business has been the enrichment of employees (communism claims that as a goal but we've seen how well that worked out). If making money enriches employees, business will happily do so but the idea a business will or can double pay when there are more effective solutions is just as crazy as those who claim they can change gender just because they "believe".

PS: Henry Ford made probably the greatest PR spin in history. He needed to raise wages to get and keep employees, so he spun it as he was doing it so the employees made it enough to buy his cars.
Old 29-04-2016, 18:02   #274

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I think Henry Ford's comments on wages reflected the idea that his assembly line process to build the cars had to be efficient enough that the cars could be priced low enough that not only his employees but average working folk buy them. IE they could not be just luxury items.

History has shown that he succeeded. Financial competition is about efficiency whether you are selling hamburgers, jet engines, corn on the cob or the cure for the common cold.
Old 29-04-2016, 20:00   #275
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I think Henry Ford's comments on wages reflected the idea that his assembly line process to build the cars had to be efficient enough that the cars could be priced low enough that not only his employees but average working folk buy them. IE they could not be just luxury items.

History has shown that he succeeded. Financial competition is about efficiency whether you are selling hamburgers, jet engines, corn on the cob or the cure for the common cold.
Don't disagree with either of the last posts as to the benefits that came Ford's way - good PR and the demonstrated benefit of the efficiencies. But it was the simple fact that the workers could purchase the cars that created the possibility of a mass market for their product. I once read an article in Forbes that tried to make the case that Ford paying his workers enough to buy his cars wasn't a valid business model because it wouldn't work for Boeing. Not kidding....
Old 01-05-2016, 07:55   #276
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

What was that about Robots not taking minimum wage jobs?
The 10yrs ago did you even know what a smart phone was...and it changed the world. 20yrs ago did you even know what online shopping was...and it lowered prices. The only constant is rapid change faster than you can think...or in some cases want.

Target Is Testing Out Robots To Track Store Inventory - Fortune
Old 01-05-2016, 14:59   #277
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What was that about Robots not taking minimum wage jobs?
The 10yrs ago did you even know what a smart phone was...and it changed the world. 20yrs ago did you even know what online shopping was...and it lowered prices. The only constant is rapid change faster than you can think...or in some cases want.

Target Is Testing Out Robots To Track Store Inventory - Fortune
Very true. But we find our selves with crumbling roads and bridges, and terrible internet that can't compete with the service offered in Asia or a good deal of Europe and will disadvantage of businesses at some point in the near future. Plus, let's cure cancer. Problems that provide opportunity to provide jobs that can't be shipped overseas and can't be done by robots. At the moment anyway. It is the robots in congress that are in our way on this one .
Old 01-05-2016, 15:18   #278

Henry Ford also said "The harder I work, the luckier I get" A lot of truth to that..
:>)

Robots? Here's a question: Why do we need pharmacists? Why not machines to take pills from a bin and put them in a bottle?

Old 01-05-2016, 15:39   #279

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Robots? Here's a question: Why do we need pharmacists? Why not machines to take pills from a bin and put them in a bottle?
Hospitals have been doing that (or a version of it) for years. I think the blame for the pharmaceutical phiasco we all enjoy (here in the USA) can be blamed on the FDA; you know, the same ones who don't want us to buy foreign drugs at reasonable prices.

Don't give me that 'we can't be sure what we are getting' crap either. Reputable foreign pharmacies on line do exist, and not all of us are so stupid as to require the 'government' to protect us. I've lived all over the world -- half of it anyway -- and bought local drugs. Still alive, and those drugs, almost free by our standards, worked just fine.
Old 01-05-2016, 20:02   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Henry Ford also said "The harder I work, the luckier I get" A lot of truth to that..
:>)

Absolutely no reason and in reality it would be more accurate and secure. Mostly it's the inertia of the system that needs to change. We've been taught for several decades that only a special person can count out the correct pills. Reality is filling a hopper and letting a computer handle 99% would be more accurate. They could have a video kiosk available if you want to talk to a live pharmacist.

At my doctors office, they all carry tablets and enter the symptoms...why because humans may not be aware of an odd set of symptoms but once programed into the machine, it will check and highlight potential diagnoses. A side benefit is the program can look at past appointments looking for patterns a doctor would never consider. The only thing stopping them from letting you self diagnose with these programs is the concern that people will fake symptoms which would be much easier if you are typing them in. (yes, you will hear horror stories but most of those were the teething pains of the transition to the new system, not a long term flaw in the system.)
Old 01-05-2016, 20:16   #281
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Buggy Whip industry all over again folks.

Going to a Pharmacist will be like going to the Video Store to rent a VHS tape.
Now imagine...would we have seen the massive progression in technology if there was an AVA law (Affordable Video Act) to make sure people had access to Videos?

The old guard will fight tooth and nail to preserve the system they have...but like the Video stores...theirs is a swim against the tide on a full moon.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:59   #282

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Just returned from South Florida and the Bahamas. Went there with my sweet wife to look at a couple of boats and explore south Florida a little bit. We had a wonderful time there and in Freeport Bahama. I had forgotten how hard it can rain in tropical areas. When I was young guy we lived in Subic P.I., Agana, Guam, and Hawaii. Can you guess what my daddy's job was?

I was in shock when we took down a phone number of a small house in Lauderdale and it was 1.3 million with a dock. Nothing much to speak of from the outside. We took boat tours in Lauderdale harbor and Miami's swankest houses canals. Holy Crap Batman...It really was a spectacle.

Saw a sexy cat I was wondering if the crew on here recognizes it as an architect's one design or a manufacturer's maxi cruiser cat.

The very nice 34 foot tri designed by C. White berthed in Stuart was as beautiful as I had hoped she would be. Very very nice boat but she had a couple of things that didn't sit well with us. I will post a picture of the interior so you can understand it better. The boat is much more robust than a F31. Cleanest and nicest engine compartment I have ever seen on multihull. Everything easy to reach and service. Immaculate in my imagination. In the main cabin galley was full standing head room. But once you step forward you loose all standing headroom due to center pivot board trunk. They designed water tankage there and you have to bend over to go forward. Single bunk in the fore of the boat with a toilet. All in stooped over condition. The aft cabin is spacious for two people. My wife, I swear, could smell a sparrow's fart at forty paces, immediately noticed diesel fumes which I could barely detect. Don't know if that could be remedied.

The strangest thing though was the tiller arrangement. Due to the aft cabin...which I love on trimarans had two quadrants set up. Which meant one on the stern rudder post and one just aft of the diesel compartment. Which left a tiller arm that you move on a vertical axis versus a horizontal axis. When I moved the tiller arm it was quite heavy. Never felt a tiller like that before. I was lucky to have the owner and the previous owner on site to post questions to. Both knowledgeable about the boat and it's sailing characteristics. They said it is nothing to worry about and once underway that heavy feeling disappears. Any thoughts on this ?( much appreciated). will try and post some pics of that also.

So we got seriously polluted at Mangos in South Beach...and we aren't the drinking type, had a great dinner at Shooter's in Lauderdale, wretched ride on Baleria's cat ferry to Freeport, and kissed by a dolphin in Freeport. Never seen friendlier people or sweeter water and sand than the Bahamas. We fell in love. Since I am born under the Chinese sign of the Hare my wife calls me Rabbit. So..I did my best rabbit imitation for her. Look at the quality of the water...swam every day as much as I could. Came back to California and it was raining, cool, and breezy. Back to work life....yuck.
You can find reasonably priced waterfront homes with no fixed bridges access to the ocean and intra coastal.. Check Citrus Isles.... smaller homes that are expensive for the square footage, but still under $500k.
Old 02-05-2016, 15:15   #283

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Yep....it is...and you keep making my point, albeit ignorant of that fact.

Bruce Genner has the XY genes...doesn't matter what he wants to be, which I could care less about, but to Science Bruce is a Male even if he undergoes the chopadickofftamy.

This is a very interesting topic however because it illustrates just how poor some people are at critical thinking and reasoning skills.

If I self identify as a Black Man...I'm NOT.
Science and the Facts say that I am a 50% Italian with the balance being Cherokee Indian, Welsh and German. It doesn't matter what I WANT to be...what I self Identify as...or what Society wants to call me. See facts are facts and my opinion of what I or anyone else wants the facts to be can't change them.

Now the argument you are poorly attempting to make is that we should accept what ever people want to call themselves, or identify with, or who they want to sleep with, or what bathroom they want to use. But in your and others quest to be tolerant of others....you have lost your ability to even recognize and admit that XY Lion is a Male of the Species and a XX Lion is a Female of species. It doesn't matter who they choose to romp around with in the tall grass, but that personal choice doesn't change their DNA...it doesn't change Scientific Fact.

Someone has to be the voice of reason...
I know I know...it is a thankless Job, but hey....I can handle it.
Having workd in the airline industry for 30 plus years among many thousands of gay people, you must understand...they arent making a conscious choice to be gay...they are just born that way...in the same way that some are born blond and others with brown hair...

If you want a woman who truly believes and feels that she is a man in the bathroom wiht your little girl, you are making a terrible mistake... Your daughter is in no more risk than being there with any other woman..

Transgender people dont do this because they are looking to get their sexual appetites fullfilled.. they do it because they are different inside than what they were born with outside.

Ignorance on this is true discrmination.
Old 02-05-2016, 16:00   #284

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Back when I was a child, people were raised by their parents. They had good examples and they had someone to ask questions of.

Fast forward a generation or two and children were set in front of a TV set and were essentially raised by a large talking yellow bird and a purple dinosaur. Not only do they lack common sense, many cannot figure out if they are boys or girls, even after looking in their underpants!
Ah, it's nothing new.

Here is a song from June 1970 that you probably know....

I heard it today and it reminded me of this crazy thread

Old 02-05-2016, 16:26   #285
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
Ignorance on this is true discrmination.
Actually the lack of reading comprehension leads to even more discrimination as this thread had proved.

Because no where do I endorse, support, imply or anything of the sort that anyone in the LBGTQCP community be discriminated against in any way.
But do you see how this topic devolves into talking points of discrimination, even when one doesn't exist? Now granted I haven't been in the airline industry, if you want to play your game, that would be a homophobic stereotype to imply something about Gays and Flight attendants, but I won't follow you down the rabbit hole.

A human with XX chromosomes is a Female of the Species and a human with XY Chromosomes is a male of that species. Political correctness, safe species, trigger warnings and a complete lack of basic genetic science doesn't change facts. Again...who you want to sleep with, identify with, or are attracted to, doesn't change the basic definitions of Science. But this is the crazy lengths people have gone to today to both be offended and scream discrimination and hate. It's hard to blame them sometimes because our public education system is so inadequate in teaching science from feelings and myths.

Now how do we tie this into the thought of this thread about wages etc...easy. If I was to call myself a woman and apply as a Woman owned business I would be denied. Not because of homophobia or trannyphobia...but because of science and fact. Who and what I want to be called doesn't change genetics. Well unless you are Elizabeth Warren and want to call yourself an American Indian...ha ha ha
Closed Thread