Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 19:18   #196

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

I actually think its very sad, you just have to put yourself on the right side of the deal, I intend to profit from the situation ......and that dosent mean I like it or agree with where we are as economies.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-04-2016, 09:34   #197

FWIW the rapid escalation of housing prices in Van BC has been tied to some immigration policies of the Canadian government that encouraged folks to bring a large chunk of money and with it they received Canadian citizenship. One unintended consequence was some of the cash obtained from corruption in a foreign country was used to buy Van RE. Therefore the locals have been priced out of the market. It appears that Florida is experiencing the same problem. I wonder where the corruption money came from?
Old 21-04-2016, 09:39   #198
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Are you telling us that Government action has unintended consequences that end up hurting their Citizens? I don't believe it...can't be...say it ain't so...

Just wait till the folks that lose their new $15/hr job to an Order Kiosk....will they learn that lesson? Na...you know they won't. They and the politicians that lie to them, will blame it on the big evil Corporations and 1%. I could write their playbook it's so predictable.
Old 21-04-2016, 10:11   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Are you telling us that Government action has unintended consequences that end up hurting their Citizens? I don't believe it...can't be...say it ain't so...

Just wait till the folks that lose their new $15/hr job to an Order Kiosk....will they learn that lesson? Na...you know they won't. They and the politicians that lie to them, will blame it on the big evil Corporations and 1%. I could write their playbook it's so predictable.
I'm not defending incompetent and corrupt legislators here - but are you seriously willing to absolve of all blame those wealthy speculators who are distorting property markets by buying up everything in sight with the fruits of their corruption?

Russian, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, you name it. The rich are hiding wealth by buying great swathes of our capital cities with funds from offshore accounts.

Why, because it's natural to do whatever it takes to increase your holdings and the rest of society can go to hell - and you'd do exactly the same if you could?

In the UK it's now the case that no government could remain in power if it built enough houses. Prices would fall and they'd be voted out of office by the same people who complain their kids can't afford the first step on the property ladder.
Idiots all.
Old 21-04-2016, 10:21   #200
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
I'm not defending incompetent and corrupt legislators here - but are you seriously willing to absolve of all blame those wealthy speculators who are distorting property markets by buying up everything in sight with the fruits of their corruption?

Russian, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, you name it. The rich are hiding wealth by buying great swathes of our capital cities with funds from offshore accounts.

Why, because it's natural to do whatever it takes to increase your holdings and the rest of society can go to hell - and you'd do exactly the same if you could?

In the UK it's now the case that no government could remain in power if it built enough houses. Prices would fall and they'd be voted out of office by the same people who complain their kids can't afford the first step on the property ladder.
Idiots all.
What blame?
People buying homes to either live in, rent, or for investment purposes is not just Legal...but is perfectly Moral and the right thing to do!

If people are complaining that the prices are too high, the solution is to build more homes, not attack and blame those doing the buying. Maybe if the Governments were not printing money to fund out of control spending then the interest rates would not be near zero and investors would put their money into the bank rather than a physical asset of property?

...ah...yes...but the Government regulators won't stop QE Infinity nor will they allow for those new homes to be built you see. So once again, the Government is screwing the little guy by interfering in the free market...do you see a trend here?
Old 21-04-2016, 10:29   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hey Little Man Paul,

Chill out. I'm not making stuff up. I wasn't challenged at all so please stop your crying
1) You were making things up

2) You were challenged...and exposed

3) You are an overly loquacious gasbag who unwittingly further embarrasses himself with each successive breath.

Paul, now outta this thread
Old 21-04-2016, 10:35   #202

Let's see if I can understand this.
The government is told to build more "affordable" housing. Then it is pressured to put in place rules so things look nice and we don't have too much traffic and keep the taxes down and encourage more jobs for all the people.
The problem IMHO is that we have too many people!
Solution "Retroactive birth control". But who gets to decide on whom?
The Government of course!
As Pogo the famous philosopher used to say "I have found the problem, it is us".
Old 21-04-2016, 10:53   #203

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
1) You were making things up

2) You were challenged...and exposed

3) You are an overly loquacious gasbag who unwittingly further embarrasses himself with each successive breath.

Paul, now outta this thread

You are a funny little man there Paul.

Try not to take things quite so seriously on an internet forum. You don't seem to be able to handle being disagreed with. You may need to grow a little thicker skin. Can't you learn to come back with an argument rather than crying when someone exaggerates a bit for effect.

I probably get called things weekly being a boss. Problem is for those calling me names is that I know what and who I am and opinions do not matter.

You though being weak take one last shot then run and hide. I used to cuss out my bosses as a teenager then quit! You are doing that now basically. Calling people names then running away. Awesome.

I do hope you are under 30 though so maybe when you grow up you will change.

Tom
Old 21-04-2016, 11:03   #204

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

McD's robots? Not any time soon.

After many years of effort, there is now a robot that can pick a towel from a pile of laundry, and fold it. Takes about thirty minutes per towel.

By the time it works well, the laundry robots will be smart enough to be just as distracted by the pink panties as I am. :-)

Lunch is over, back to the varnish brush.
Old 21-04-2016, 11:17   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't know, a robot can build a car, how much harder could a hamburger be?
Old 21-04-2016, 12:12   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And please

No more personal insults, no Gasbags or Little Men
we are big boys and girls here, lets act like it
Old 21-04-2016, 12:31   #207

Smile Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know, a robot can build a car, how much harder could a hamburger be?
I started to address that last post.

Think about what auto robots do. Like put a weld in the same spot as the line advances. And move things from place to place. Drill holes, torque bolts, etc.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they assemble a car. Think about how complex a humanless auto factory would be.

I think the complexity of a humanless McD's to assemble (let alone cook) a happy meal or a Big Mac is far greater than methods currently in use in automation.

Of course I could be hopped up on Mt. Dews and clueless.
Old 21-04-2016, 14:38   #208
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think, for enough money most simple processes can be automated, maybe by simple, multiple machines, not one machine to make a hamburger but one puts it on the bun, one adds condiments, another the top bun etc.
For instance at least since I was a kid the cooking of Burger King hamburgers and Krispy Kreme doughnuts are very much automated, a person may watch and clear any that get stuck, but hundreds of doughnuts float by, get turned over, cooled on a rack, glaze added automatically, so you go from ten people needed to one or two, just like I bet in auto manufacturing, people are still there, just a lot fewer.
If you make it where it is cheaper to automate, then it will be automated is I believe the point, and further since the cost to automate will be very expensive and would have to be spread out among many franchises to make it cost effective, there goes any chance of a Mom and Pop organization being able to compete.
If the volume of boat manufacturing were high enough and the labor cost high enough, and if there were no trade unions to block it, boat manufacturing could largely be automated.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2016, 14:40   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now I understand how poor i am.

OK how about this, the biggest reason I'm sure Restaurants have dishwashing machines is they are cheaper than hiring a dishwashing person.

Look at how old this video is, that was 1950's and it was being done, I didn't know that, imagine with modern electronic controls?
http://youtu.be/FmXLqImT1wE

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2016, 15:30   #210

Spent a summer washing dishes at a beach restaurant a couple years ago. Would have been impossible to keep up without a industrial dishwasher. I doubt three people could have kept up working manually.

Interesting video. Wonder why fast food isn't more automated today? The AMF machines (6) could cook 400 burgers and hour, or 300 fries. But it could only assemble 175 entrees and hour. Could be a problem there. Though I have no idea how may orders get kicked out today.

Automation is one thing and robotics is another. That is what was originally mentioned and what I responded to, and what I think is still some time away.

There was a time when robot research suggested the robots wouldn't necessarily resemble humans. But it has been since considered they must do so. Because they must interact in the human environment. Apparently to assemble our burgers, which will cost much more than $15 an hour.

Robots don't yet assemble cars or burgers, and probably won't for decades still.

Sorry to hog the thread so much, so standing down now.