Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2009, 21:23   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat
Thumbs up Not Lost at Sea

My wife and I were recently asked by a friend to help his friend move a boat from the Chesapeak to the US Virgin Islands .
Not the smartest thing we ever let our selves get talked into, the boat is a Hunter 34, yes I now know that they are allergic to salt water and get sea sick when not in sight of land.
We timed it almost perfectly wrong.
We were caught in some truely rough conditions off the coast and across the gulf stream, but so was every one else that week so it wasn't just me!
A friend became concerned having watched the weather desend into madness as far as he was concerned.
When we left we told him we would be out of contact for between 12 and 20 days depending on the weather.
After 12 days his nerve snapped and he contacted the local Coast Guard station to see if they could help locate us and the boat. There was no HF radio and we dont have Sat Phone.
The USVI Coast Guard contacted both Bermuda Coast Guard and Hampton Roads to see if any contact had been made.
While we sail we like to say hello to fellow sailors at sea and this truely paid off.
We had spoken to 2 sailing vessels on their way to Bermuda and when asked one of the vessels could confirm that we were fine and our location and time of contact.
So thank you US Coast Guard for your diligent work and to the sailing vessel Pelagi for keeping an accurate log.

mandlmaunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 22:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Glad ya'll are safe. I had a simular situation when my parents were crossing the gulf and a Week over due. The coast guard did a great job of keeping me informed and plotted out their course from last known position etc. (Parents were fine)
Love the Coasties!

Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:43   #3

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
yes, they do a very good JOB!
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:57   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Glad to hear you made it safely, mandlmaunder.

Now, tell us how it went--sounds like a good sea story, and you already have the title picked out, Not Lost At Sea.
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: